- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Cooney is an Online News Editor for Network World. He is also the author of the Layer 8 blog. Network World's daily home for the not-just-networking news.
Areas of Interest:
- FTC sets rules for second robocall challenge at DEF CON.
4 weeks 4 days ago
- The European Space Agency is showing off a quadcopter that the organization says can steer itself to smoothly lower a rover onto a safe patch of the rocky Martian surface.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- Authorized communications intercept applications have increased 100% from 1,789 in 2003 to 3,576 in 2013.
7 weeks 56 min ago
- For more than a year, the IC3 is warning businesses to be on the lookout for growing scam that tricks them into paying invoices.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- University computer scientists say they have invented a video highlighting technique that can automatically pick out action in videos
7 weeks 6 days ago
- The IEEE said it formed a study group to explore the technological needs for a 100 Mb/s speed for Ethernet in automotive networking.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- IBM recently said it found a way to make transistors that could be formed into virtual circuitry that mimics human brain functions.
8 weeks 1 day ago
- The US Department of Justice said 10 people were indicted today for their roles in a $20 million stolen identity refund fraud conspiracy.
12 weeks 6 days ago
- GAO: Data breaches have more than doubled since 2009, how should government, companies respond?
20 weeks 1 hour ago
- Everybody wants your money – the IRS too, but at least they will take it legally. The IRS however doesn't want your money taken by scamsters who use tax season to celebrate Christmastime for dirtbags.
25 weeks 5 days ago
- As they have for the past few years the US Customs department teamed with the National Football League to cut into the lucrative counterfeit sports gear market.
28 weeks 5 days ago
- 'The United States will therefore impose new limits on its use of signals intelligence collected in bulk.'
30 weeks 5 days ago
- Cisco, Futures, Dynis, American Towers among companies cooperating on wireless jobs program.
38 weeks 6 days ago
- Gartner analysts whipped out their always interesting and sometimes controversial look at what the consultancy thinks will impact the IT arena in the near future.
45 weeks 23 hours ago
- The Department of Energy today awarded $30 million to a 11 security vendors to develop technology the agency says will better protect nation's electric grid, oil and gas infrastructure from cyber-attack.
47 weeks 5 days ago
- Looking to bulk up its often flat Ethernet fortunes, Extreme Networks today grabbed up Enterasys Networks for a cash price of $180 million.
48 weeks 5 days ago
- The Federal Trade Commission today said it has won a $7.5 million civil penalty – the largest ever -- against Mortgage Investors Corporation, one of the nation's biggest refinancers of veterans' home loans for allegedly violating "Do Not Call" requirements.
1 year 7 weeks ago
- The Obama administration this week teamed with Cisco, Microsoft, HP and others to roll out what it called an "IT Training and Certification Partnership" designed to get thousands of service members into the information technology world.
1 year 16 weeks ago
- The Internal Revenue Service today reminded taxpayers that there are plenty of scam artists and cybercriminals that want your money.
1 year 21 weeks ago
- mcooney wrote FTC: Identity theft retains its throne as No.1 worst scourge in Top 10 consumer complaint listIdentity theft has been the top consumer complaint to the Federal Trade Commission now for 13 years running.
1 year 25 weeks ago
- With an eye toward emerging from bankruptcy in 2013 Kodak today said it sold its formidable patent portfolio for $525 million to a consortium that will ultimately license pieces of the collection to other companies such as Apple, Google and Facebook.
1 year 34 weeks ago
- The Federal Trade Commission today said it orders to nine data brokerage companies to report how they collect and use data about consumers.
1 year 35 weeks ago
- mcooney wrote How to get the FTC's attention: Illegally robocall consumers while spoofing the agency's consumer hotline numberSeems these folks just wanted the Federal Trade Commission to smack them down. The FTC today said it had a federal court shut down an illegal robocall operation that allegedly impersonated the agency in an attempt to trick consumers into turning over all manner of sensitive personal data.
1 year 37 weeks ago
- IBM issued a report today that found while most companies are accelerating their social media plans, many are struggling to figure out what it all means.
1 year 39 weeks ago
- mcooney wrote Gartner: How big trends in security, mobile, big data and cloud computing will change ITWhen you go to a Gartner conference one of he main things you'll notice is the sheer volume of data they can generate on just about any IT topic. Last week's Gartner Symposium/ITxpo in Orlando, Fla., was no different. The conference, attended by some 9,000 executives focused on the changes security challenges, mobile computing, big data and cloud will be bringing to IT in the near future.
1 year 42 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.