- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- Select the mix of skills right for your data analytics business goals.
5 days 19 hours ago
- Consumers are being given the tools to measure and analyze their bodies, activities, environments and more.
2 weeks 5 days ago
- When enterprises interested in leveraging big data and analytics ask how to get started, they often are advised to begin with Hadoop, Apache Software's open source data storage and processing framework.
5 weeks 22 hours ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Can I update Android version if manufacturer updates but carrier does not?Not that I know of. I just went through the same thing waiting for KitKat from HTC and Verizon. It took more than three months from when Android 4.4 was released last October 31. You could try rooting your phone, but that can be tricky and a bit of a risk.
28 weeks 2 days ago
- In January, for the first time ever, more Internet traffic was generated by mobile apps than PC browsers. That trend will only continue, so my advice would be to develop a mobile strategy that includes managing devices and apps with an eye toward security.
28 weeks 3 days ago
- There really weren't any, at least according to the Wall Street Journal:
28 weeks 5 days ago
- Good topic, and a harder question than ever to answer because of the emerging alternatives to traditional desktops such as tablets, Chromebooks and Android-powered PCs.
28 weeks 6 days ago
- My top thing for Windows 9 would be a rollback to Windows 7. Let's pretend Windows 8 never happened. :)
29 weeks 12 hours ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Did Netflix make a mistake by agreeing to pay Comcast to carry its content?I understand why Netflix agreed to pay Comcast, and I'm conflicted about it. Joshua Brustein at Businessweek.com raises a good question:
29 weeks 1 day ago
- Google has a page here (including a video) explaining the basics of Project Tango. The project team is just now releasing SDKs to the developer community.
29 weeks 2 days ago
- All apps will inform you of the permissions you need to accept in order to download the app. If some of them seem unreasonable to you, I just wouldn't download it.
29 weeks 3 days ago
- I would think any touch-enabled screen should allow you to play touch-enabled games, but I can't find information about that one way or the other. I do know that touchscreen monitors aren't cheap: The least expensive one I see online is $283, and they top out at more than $1,300.
29 weeks 5 days ago
- There's an app called SnoopWall that allows Android users to choose which permissions to allow in any app. Here's a review of SnoopWall that might be helpful.
30 weeks 1 day ago
- Here's what trim support is supposed to do for you: "TRIM essentially goes through the file records and frees up blocks that you’ve deleted by telling the controller to stop keeping track of them."
30 weeks 3 days ago
- Application performance management is merely the monitoring and management of software apps in terms of availability and performance.
31 weeks 2 days ago
- Server-based solid state drives (SSDs) essentially act as storage caches for data that are frequently accessed. SSDs improve computing time because data resides directly on the server and not on an external storage array.
31 weeks 5 days ago
- I can't tell you which specific memory hardware to buy, but this detailed guide to buying the right type of RAM should be helpful.
32 weeks 1 day ago
- You can: Defrag it Delete unwanted files to free up hard drive Buy more RAM or storage (they're cheap these days) Run an anti-virus program Remove adware Clean registry using Glary Utilities or something similar
32 weeks 6 days ago
- Google's revenue mostly comes from online ads. It makes little to nothing on Android, and probably realized it wasn't going to make any money selling handsets and competing with Samsung and other Android manufacturers. Google may be more interested in Chrome OS than Android going forward.
32 weeks 6 days ago
- There are a few, according to several tech talent search firms, including: * Web developers, particularly those with Java, .Net, Ruby and Python skills * Mobile developers * Data scientists * Security pros
33 weeks 19 hours ago
- It's a combination of legal and marketing reasons. Redmond lost a trademark case with Sky Broadcasting Group of Britain last year, so it had to change the SkyDrive name. As for the new name, OneDrive is supposed to represent how all of your personal and professional digital needs can be satisfied by a single cloud-storage solution -- OneDrive!
33 weeks 2 days ago
- Google announced in September the rollout of Chrome apps that use Chrome-specific code rather than just web-based tools.
33 weeks 5 days ago
- If Apple increases the size of its iPhone screen at all, it won't be by much. I just don't think the company will make dramatic changes to what has proven to be an extremely popular device.
33 weeks 5 days ago
- Payscale.com does an ongoing survey
34 weeks 1 day ago
- Tough call. Cloud computing isn't going away, but an MS in computer science might make your brother more versatile, which could help in the job market.
34 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 30