- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Michael Kan is Beijing correspondent at IDG News Service and reports on IT, telecom and internet in China.
Areas of Interest:
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. said its net profit in the first quarter increased by 21 percent year-over-year on better than expected demand for smartphone chips.
17 hours 22 min ago
- Microsoft may have retired Windows XP, but one of China's leading security vendors is trying to keep the OS threat-free, and rolling out protection software to hundreds of millions of users in the nation.
20 hours 22 min ago
- More low-end Android gaming consoles are coming to China. But Microsoft's local partner isn't worried, and expects the Xbox to sell well as a high-end gaming product.
1 day 19 hours ago
- Michael Kan wrote Chinese Bitcoin exchange focuses on cash transactions to keep cryptocurrency in playChinese banks may be cutting ties to Bitcoin suppliers, but that isn't stopping a local Bitcoin exchange from making physical cash a way to buy the cryptocurrency.
2 days 14 hours ago
- China has been a tough market for U.S. Internet companies to crack, but LinkedIn has high hopes it can buck the trend and increase its user base in the country to as high as 50 million over the next five years.
6 days 13 hours ago
- Once the largest Bitcoin exchange in the country, BTC China has seen better days. Trading volume on the site is down over 80 percent from its peak, and customers are fleeing amid rumors China is preparing a crackdown on the virtual currency, said the exchange's CEO Bobby Lee.
1 week 13 hours ago
- China is requiring Microsoft and Nokia to make promises on fair patent use, fearing that the proposed acquisition between the two companies could spell trouble for the nation's Android device makers.
1 week 2 days ago
- China may be tightening the noose around Bitcoin: two exchanges dealing in the virtual currency have been forced to suspend bank transfers from customers depositing yuan to buy bitcoins.
2 weeks 14 hours ago
- Intel is preparing a new "Braswell" chip to succeed its power-efficient Bay Trail processor found in PCs besides working on bringing over 20 Chromebook designs to the market this year.
2 weeks 20 hours ago
- After falling behind ARM in the mobile processor market, Intel plans to go on the offensive by creating exclusive content for devices built around its chips.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- As devices powered by ARM chips flood the Chinese market, Intel is hoping to popularize its own mobile processors with a new center built in the heart of one of China's major technology hubs.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- A group of activists are hoping to appeal a U.S. judge's ruling that treated the censorship on Chinese search engine Baidu as free speech.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- A U.S. judge has ruled that the Chinese search engine Baidu has the right to block pro-democracy works from its query results, dismissing a lawsuit that sought to punish the company for Internet censorship.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- China's Ministry of National Defense blasted the U.S. over recent allegations that it has been spying on Huawei Technologies, and said it plans to shore up the nation's Internet security in response.
3 weeks 14 hours ago
- HTC is hoping to expand its presence in China by partnering with one of the nation's largest retailers to sell its phones, and even help with product development, the Taiwanese handset maker said on Wednesday.
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Those who like to take selfies might be interested in the latest handset from ZTE, a smartphone that the Chinese company claims is the world's first with a 13-megapixel front-facing camera.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- China's Lenovo is buying up patents related to 3G and 4G technologies from U.S.-based Unwired Planet for US$100 million, as the company sets about expanding with its proposed Motorola Mobility acquisition.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- China Mobile posted a rare drop in profit growth for the fourth quarter, as the world's largest carrier is struggling to fend off the competition from rival carriers, and smartphone messaging apps.
4 weeks 13 hours ago
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group is investing US$215 million to acquire a minority stake and a seat in the board of Tango, a mobile messaging app from the U.S.
4 weeks 17 hours ago
- China's Tencent isn't letting up on international marketing for its WeChat mobile messaging app, but signaled its plans to avoid competing in markets where rivals such as WhatsApp already have a strong user base.
4 weeks 21 hours ago
- Chinese handset maker ZTE is diving into China's home gaming market with a new Android entertainment console that it is pricing at 689 yuan (US$112) in the hope of undercutting products from Microsoft and Sony.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- Twitter may be blocked in China, but that isn't stopping its CEO Dick Costolo from visiting the country this week to learn more about the nation's tech market.
4 weeks 3 days ago
- One of China's most popular messaging apps, WeChat, has started shutting down certain accounts known for their political writings, the latest sign that the nation is stepping up its censorship of the Internet.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Singapore plans to regulate local Bitcoin exchanges to stop the virtual currency from being used in money laundering and terrorist financing schemes, authorities said.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Hundreds of striking workers at an IBM server factory in China have decided to leave their jobs, disappointed with the U.S. company and the wages they will get once Lenovo takes over the factory.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 19
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.