- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Michael Kan is Beijing correspondent at IDG News Service and reports on IT, telecom and internet in China.
Areas of Interest:
- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi plans to enter ten foreign markets later this year, including Brazil, Mexico and Russia, in a bid to expand globally with its low-cost but cutting-edge phones.
5 hours 42 min ago
- Revelations about U.S. secret surveillance programs have left China's Huawei Technologies exhausted on the public relations front, a top company executive said Wednesday.
8 hours 12 min ago
- Printers, air quality monitors, and weighing scales aren't exactly in the realm of Baidu, China's largest search engine. But that's starting to change under a new company initiative that seeks to bring Baidu technology to smart devices, including household appliances.
1 day 8 hours ago
- A fire at a Samsung facility in South Korea on Sunday resulted in a temporary outage that shut down its website and caused the company's Smart TV products to report error messages.
2 days 5 hours ago
- Alibaba's Tmall and Taobao sites already sell everything from clothes and furniture to car tires and medicines. But soon they'll also be offering 3G data and voice call plans as well, the Chinese e-commerce giant said Thursday.
5 days 11 hours ago
- Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. said its net profit in the first quarter increased by 21 percent year-over-year on better than expected demand for smartphone chips.
6 days 7 hours ago
- Microsoft may have retired Windows XP, but one of China's leading security vendors is trying to keep the OS threat-free, and rolling out protection software to hundreds of millions of users in the nation.
6 days 10 hours ago
- More low-end Android gaming consoles are coming to China. But Microsoft's local partner isn't worried, and expects the Xbox to sell well as a high-end gaming product.
1 week 9 hours ago
- Michael Kan wrote Chinese Bitcoin exchange focuses on cash transactions to keep cryptocurrency in playChinese banks may be cutting ties to Bitcoin suppliers, but that isn't stopping a local Bitcoin exchange from making physical cash a way to buy the cryptocurrency.
1 week 1 day ago
- China has been a tough market for U.S. Internet companies to crack, but LinkedIn has high hopes it can buck the trend and increase its user base in the country to as high as 50 million over the next five years.
1 week 5 days ago
- Once the largest Bitcoin exchange in the country, BTC China has seen better days. Trading volume on the site is down over 80 percent from its peak, and customers are fleeing amid rumors China is preparing a crackdown on the virtual currency, said the exchange's CEO Bobby Lee.
1 week 6 days ago
- China is requiring Microsoft and Nokia to make promises on fair patent use, fearing that the proposed acquisition between the two companies could spell trouble for the nation's Android device makers.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- China may be tightening the noose around Bitcoin: two exchanges dealing in the virtual currency have been forced to suspend bank transfers from customers depositing yuan to buy bitcoins.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- Intel is preparing a new "Braswell" chip to succeed its power-efficient Bay Trail processor found in PCs besides working on bringing over 20 Chromebook designs to the market this year.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- After falling behind ARM in the mobile processor market, Intel plans to go on the offensive by creating exclusive content for devices built around its chips.
3 weeks 4 hours ago
- As devices powered by ARM chips flood the Chinese market, Intel is hoping to popularize its own mobile processors with a new center built in the heart of one of China's major technology hubs.
3 weeks 10 hours ago
- A group of activists are hoping to appeal a U.S. judge's ruling that treated the censorship on Chinese search engine Baidu as free speech.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- A U.S. judge has ruled that the Chinese search engine Baidu has the right to block pro-democracy works from its query results, dismissing a lawsuit that sought to punish the company for Internet censorship.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- China's Ministry of National Defense blasted the U.S. over recent allegations that it has been spying on Huawei Technologies, and said it plans to shore up the nation's Internet security in response.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- HTC is hoping to expand its presence in China by partnering with one of the nation's largest retailers to sell its phones, and even help with product development, the Taiwanese handset maker said on Wednesday.
4 weeks 3 hours ago
- Those who like to take selfies might be interested in the latest handset from ZTE, a smartphone that the Chinese company claims is the world's first with a 13-megapixel front-facing camera.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- China's Lenovo is buying up patents related to 3G and 4G technologies from U.S.-based Unwired Planet for US$100 million, as the company sets about expanding with its proposed Motorola Mobility acquisition.
4 weeks 5 days ago
- China Mobile posted a rare drop in profit growth for the fourth quarter, as the world's largest carrier is struggling to fend off the competition from rival carriers, and smartphone messaging apps.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group is investing US$215 million to acquire a minority stake and a seat in the board of Tango, a mobile messaging app from the U.S.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- China's Tencent isn't letting up on international marketing for its WeChat mobile messaging app, but signaled its plans to avoid competing in markets where rivals such as WhatsApp already have a strong user base.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 19
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.