- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Michael Kan is Beijing correspondent at IDG News Service and reports on IT, telecom and internet in China.
Areas of Interest:
- Hundreds of striking workers at an IBM server factory in China have decided to leave their jobs, disappointed with the U.S. company and the wages they will get once Lenovo takes over the factory.
20 hours 21 min ago
- Samsung Electronics does not expect delays in the production of its upcoming Galaxy S5 smartphone, after a fire broke out at a supplier's factory in South Korea on Sunday.
1 day 2 hours ago
- Alibaba Group's hold over China's e-commerce market is facing a new challenge from rival Tencent, which is joining forces with a local online retailer to expand in the nation's growing mobile Internet market.
2 days 2 hours ago
- China is blaming technology used to bypass China's censorship systems for recent terrorist attacks, suggesting that the government is considering tighter controls on the country's Internet.
5 days 50 min ago
- Not all are fans of Lenovo's recent plan to buy IBM's x86 server business. Since Monday, close to 1,000 workers at an IBM factory in China have been protesting the proposed acquisition, fearing they may lose their jobs if the deal goes through.
5 days 19 hours ago
- After previously struggling to crack the nation's search market, China's state press appears to be giving it another go with a revamped search engine.
1 week 18 hours ago
- Microsoft is making a special exception in the way it retires Windows XP in China, and will continue offering security support for the OS to users in the nation.
1 week 1 day ago
- China is bolstering its efforts on cybersecurity with a new high-level committee that aims to turn the nation into an "Internet power," the country's official state media said Thursday.
1 week 5 days ago
- The iPhone 4 and 4S may no longer be cutting-edge in the U.S., but here in Zhengzhou, China, the handsets are becoming popular among the very low-wage workers that build them every day.
1 week 5 days ago
- Even as server shipments went up, revenue in the market declined in last year's fourth quarter, as demand for higher-end systems remained weak, according to research firm IDC.
1 week 5 days ago
- China's leading search engine, Baidu, reported flat profit growth for the fourth quarter as the company continued its spending spree on research and product promotion.
1 week 6 days ago
- Sina Weibo, China's answer to Twitter, conceded Tuesday that user growth has been slowing. The social networking platform, however, dispelled reports that the company was seeing its user base decline as a result of a government crackdown on online rumors.
2 weeks 21 hours ago
- After exploring the market for years, LinkedIn is formally entering China with a new beta site that will adhere to the nation's strict rules on online censorship.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- It might not have figured in Facebook's calculations, but its deal to buy WhatsApp may help the social networking giant get access to the Chinese market.
2 weeks 5 days ago
- A Chinese anti-monopoly investigation into Qualcomm is examining whether the U.S. company has been abusing its market position and overcharging clients, the nation's regulators said.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- The venture capital arm of Intel has invested in three Chinese cloud providers to take advantage of the country's booming market for the services, and is also looking at backing local firms involved in creating wearable devices.
3 weeks 19 hours ago
- The fledgling Tizen smartphone OS has managed to attract 15 new backers, three of which are big name brands in Asia, including the Chinese search giant Baidu, handset maker ZTE, and Japanese mobile operator SoftBank Mobile.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Lenovo reported a 30 percent jump in its net profit for the fourth quarter of last year, with its earnings driven by a record number of devices shipped.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- Apple's iPhone shipments to China hit a record in the fourth quarter, but the company was pushed out of the top five smartphone makers in the country by strong demand for phones from local vendor Xiaomi.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba Group is offering to pay US$1.1 billion to buy one of the country's largest mapping providers, as part of its strategy to boost its mobile services.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- Manufacturing giant Foxconn Technology Group is investing US$1 billion to build factories in Indonesia, in the company's latest step to address a major handset market in Asia.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- PC makers have often struggled when it comes to selling smartphones, but China's Lenovo could be on the cusp of making a breakthrough. The company's US$2.9 billion deal to buy Motorola Mobility from Google might end up paving the way for Lenovo to become one of the rare PC makers with a prominent handset business.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- Lenovo is once again restructuring its operations, this time to create two new business groups devoted to its enterprise products and to developing a software ecosystem.
6 weeks 3 hours ago
- Chinese electronics maker TCL is planning its own game console for China, joining the growing throng of tech companies wanting to enter the nation's emerging video games market.
6 weeks 21 hours ago
- Baidu is testing new search engines for users outside China that will target markets in Brazil, Egypt and Thailand to start with.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 18
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.