- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2009
Bio: Mike Elgan is a Silicon Valley-based columnist, writer, speaker and blogger who specializes in the most complex part of any machine: the user.
Areas of Interest:
- In the past few years, the public has been confronted with hitherto unimaginable levels of personal privacy invasions.
2 days 8 hours ago
- Prediction: The tech industry's aggressive push to give every feature its own app will drive a pandemic of app fatigue.
1 week 4 days ago
- The concept sounds simultaneously futuristic and bizarre. But mark my words: You'll get one. And sooner than you think.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- The world of fast food is getting faster -- and redefining the future of mobile payments. Just look at what Taco Bell and Chipotle are doing.
9 weeks 4 days ago
- A new app for Google Glass seems trivial, but it represents the future of wearable computing.
10 weeks 4 days ago
- Google is selling Motorola to Lenovo. The deal makes Google better, Lenovo bigger and Motorola gets a new lease on life.
11 weeks 4 days ago
- Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean your mobile apps aren't out to get you.
19 weeks 4 days ago
- If you love food, and want to share your passion online, do it right. Here's how.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- Paying for things with our phones takes a backseat to innovative new debit cards.
21 weeks 4 days ago
- The future was supposed to be automated and computerized. But it turns out that automation is creating demand for the human element.
23 weeks 4 days ago
- A thriving industry of paid-for user comments pollutes social networks with fake opinions. Let the reader beware.
25 weeks 4 days ago
- Or maybe you suffer from sleep texting or glass eye. Welcome to a new world of mobile maladies
26 weeks 4 days ago
- Mike Elgan traveled over three continents in the past 18 months and has these tips for staying connected, keeping powered up and protecting your valuable gadgets from theft.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- San Francisco residents live in an alternate universe where they can go online and do things that most of us can't do -- yet.
29 weeks 2 days ago
- Apple's iBeacons system will enable purchases, contextual marketing, automated check-ins and much more. And it's closer than you think.
31 weeks 4 days ago
- The tech industry has been promising apps that interrupt us with important contextual information for two years. So where are they?
33 weeks 4 days ago
- In the future, phones, tablets and wearable computing gadgets won't come with chargers -- they'll use inductive chargers built into desks, kitchen counters, bedside tables, cars and other surfaces.
34 weeks 4 days ago
- Companies are getting more aggressive about using your phone to track you and then send you location-based mobile ads. So what?
36 weeks 3 days ago
- Columnist Mike Elgan tries out the new Google Glass eyewear and uses 'glogging,' a new social medium for sharing experiences that takes blogging to a new level.
38 weeks 4 days ago
- Many of today's hottest products do something similar -- they get their value from the collective actions of users. Mike Elgan explains why crowdsourcing and all that user data is so successful and valuable.
39 weeks 4 days ago
- These phones have features that radically exceed not only those of other phones but also those of other consumer devices. That's why Mike Elgan calls them 'superphones.'
40 weeks 4 days ago
- Phablets (phones + tablets) need wearable devices to make them powerful and mainstream, as well as acceptable in business. Here's one company that understands this.
42 weeks 4 days ago
- The U.S. government takes a big data approach to intelligence gathering. And so can you!
43 weeks 4 days ago
- Microsoft has everything it needs to beat Apple and Google and rule consumer electronics. What it lacks is the will to ship that technology to consumers and provide people with a compelling, breathtaking and wonderful vision of the future.
45 weeks 4 days ago
- With every new social network and social service, with every new instant and not-so-instant way to communicate, email rises in importance. Columnist Mile Elgan explains how innovation has transformed email into the best social network.
46 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.