- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2009
Bio: Mike Elgan is a Silicon Valley-based columnist, writer, speaker and blogger who specializes in the most complex part of any machine: the user.
Areas of Interest:
- If you love food, and want to share your passion online, do it right. Here's how.
5 days 7 hours ago
- Paying for things with our phones takes a backseat to innovative new debit cards.
1 week 5 days ago
- The future was supposed to be automated and computerized. But it turns out that automation is creating demand for the human element.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- A thriving industry of paid-for user comments pollutes social networks with fake opinions. Let the reader beware.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- Or maybe you suffer from sleep texting or glass eye. Welcome to a new world of mobile maladies
6 weeks 5 days ago
- Mike Elgan traveled over three continents in the past 18 months and has these tips for staying connected, keeping powered up and protecting your valuable gadgets from theft.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- San Francisco residents live in an alternate universe where they can go online and do things that most of us can't do -- yet.
9 weeks 3 days ago
- Apple's iBeacons system will enable purchases, contextual marketing, automated check-ins and much more. And it's closer than you think.
11 weeks 5 days ago
- The tech industry has been promising apps that interrupt us with important contextual information for two years. So where are they?
13 weeks 5 days ago
- In the future, phones, tablets and wearable computing gadgets won't come with chargers -- they'll use inductive chargers built into desks, kitchen counters, bedside tables, cars and other surfaces.
14 weeks 5 days ago
- Companies are getting more aggressive about using your phone to track you and then send you location-based mobile ads. So what?
16 weeks 4 days ago
- Columnist Mike Elgan tries out the new Google Glass eyewear and uses 'glogging,' a new social medium for sharing experiences that takes blogging to a new level.
18 weeks 5 days ago
- Many of today's hottest products do something similar -- they get their value from the collective actions of users. Mike Elgan explains why crowdsourcing and all that user data is so successful and valuable.
19 weeks 5 days ago
- These phones have features that radically exceed not only those of other phones but also those of other consumer devices. That's why Mike Elgan calls them 'superphones.'
20 weeks 5 days ago
- Phablets (phones + tablets) need wearable devices to make them powerful and mainstream, as well as acceptable in business. Here's one company that understands this.
22 weeks 5 days ago
- The U.S. government takes a big data approach to intelligence gathering. And so can you!
23 weeks 5 days ago
- Microsoft has everything it needs to beat Apple and Google and rule consumer electronics. What it lacks is the will to ship that technology to consumers and provide people with a compelling, breathtaking and wonderful vision of the future.
25 weeks 5 days ago
- With every new social network and social service, with every new instant and not-so-instant way to communicate, email rises in importance. Columnist Mile Elgan explains how innovation has transformed email into the best social network.
26 weeks 5 days ago
- Columnist Mike Elgan spent three weeks using only Google products -- the Chromebook Pixel laptop, the Nexus 10 tablet and the Nexus 4 smartphone. Here's what he discovered.
27 weeks 5 days ago
- As privacy-invading technologies and location-aware applications become commonplace and accepted (and they will), and more products like Saga, Memoto and Glass become pervasive, the idea of lifelogging will become more appealing.
29 weeks 5 days ago
- Digital nomad Mike Elgan returns to the U.S. after 10 months of travel and shares these tips for working and living abroad.
30 weeks 4 days ago
- Google's Fiber project in in Kanas City, Austin and Provo shows that very high Internet speeds are possible in the U.S., but nobody except Google is working to make it happen.
31 weeks 5 days ago
- Google made a long list of announcements and revelations about its cyborg eyewear Glass. Google is taking a very conservative, controlling approach to the platform, not unlike another Apple's style.
32 weeks 5 days ago
- The clothing most of us wear hasn't changed to keep up with mobile technology. But there are apparel makers that are rising to the challenge.
33 weeks 5 days ago
- Mike Elgan says Google+ is the most capable system for so-called "real-life streaming." He lists four reasons for his selection of that social network.
34 weeks 5 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.