December 12, 2012, 11:40 PM — Here's how you can download the official Google Maps app free for your iPad, iPhone, iPad mini or iPod Touch.
Download the Official Google Maps App Free From iTunes
1. Go to the Google Maps app preview page in iTunes.
2. Click the View in iTunes button.
3. Click the Free button to download the app.
4. Sync your iOS device with iTunes to install the Google Maps app.
Download the Official Google Maps App Free From the iOS App Store
1. Open the App Store on your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or iPad mini.
2. Search for "Google Maps" (without the quotes).
3. Tap the Free button to download the app and install it on your iOS device.
Here's a description and screenshots of Google Maps for iOS devices:
"Navigate your world with Google Maps, now available for iPhone. Get comprehensive, accurate and easy-to-use maps with built-in Google local search, voice guided turn-by-turn navigation, public transit directions, Street View and more. Use Google Maps to discover great places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and reviews from people you trust. Sign in to save your favorite places and quickly access all your past searches and directions from your computer, right on your phone.
* Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
* Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
* Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.
* Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
* Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
* Access live traffic information in cities across the world.
Street View and imagery
* View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
* See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
* View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.
Simple and easy to use
* An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
* Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
* Use gestures to explore the map and browse results."