- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2013
Areas of Interest:
- A scheduled scan with AVG indicated that it had detected a rootkit, but was unable to remove it. There was no further information given. What should I do at this point to take care of this problem?
4 days 16 hours ago
- Winamp Media Player is one of those things that just seems like it has always been there, even though I haven’t used it for years. AOL has apparently decided to do away with it, though. Are many people still using Winamp? Will they still be able to use it after it is officially “killed?”
2 weeks 3 days ago
- MrsMith asks What happens to BlackBerry now that takeover falls through and CEO Thorsten Heins is forced out?What’s next for good old BlackBerry now that the Fairfax Financial acquisition isn’t going to happen?
4 weeks 6 days ago
- MrsMith answers Re: How to stop Chrome from syncing browser data whenever I log into my Google account?I find it convenient, but it’s not hard to stop it. It’s as easy as A, B, C actually. A. Go into the dashboard. Log in. https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard?hl=en B. Scroll down to “Chrome Sync” and click “Manage Chrome Sync” on the right.
6 weeks 5 days ago
- It used to be simple to determine keywords through Google Analytics, but since they changed search to make all searches secure (https://) much of what you get is “(not provided.)” in a search query report. Is there still a way to determine meaningful keyword data since Google implemented this change?
6 weeks 6 days ago
- MrsMith asks What is the advantage of a 120Hz refresh rate versus a 60Hz refresh rate for a display?I’ve looked at two displays side by side with the same 1080p resolution, but one had a 60Hz refresh rate and one had a 120Hz refresh rate. I couldn’t tell the difference, to be honest. When does the faster refresh rate become a noticeable advantage?
7 weeks 6 days ago
- Basically XHTML is an evolution of HTML with more coherent rules and better organization. Webstandards.org lays out some of the differences and advantages here: http://www.webstandards.org/learn/articles/askw3c/oct2003/
8 weeks 4 days ago
- It's a doc/pdf viewer. I guess they also want to you install Polaris Office 5. I still consider it bloatware, but at least it has some potential for usefullness.
8 weeks 4 days ago
- You are right not to use window cleaner. In fact stay away from pretty much all household cleaners. The LCD screen cleaners vary greatly in their effectiveness - I’ve tried one that streaks so bad that the screen was much worse AFTER I cleaned it than before. Now I “roll my own” for both home and office use.
9 weeks 2 days ago
- Beyond the benefit of more efficiently utilizing otherwise unused computing power, what have users found to be the main benefit of virtualization?
10 weeks 1 day ago
- How can I switch the current template in an existing Word document (Office 2013) to a different template?
10 weeks 6 days ago
- After the latest update to Office 2013, the Outlook folder pane is empty. How can I fix this?
12 weeks 4 days ago
- I remember people making plans to wait in line for earlier iPhones, but I haven’t notice anywhere near that level of buzz with the upcoming launch of the iPhone 5S. Are those days gone; has the iPhone become something that people no longer get excited about?
13 weeks 2 days ago
- I find that my forearms and wrists start to get uncomfortable by the middle of the afternoon when I spend the day at my desk. I know they have been around for years, but I’ve never tried an ergonomic keyboard other than for short periods at a time.
14 weeks 6 days ago
- I have some fond Steve Ballmer memories. Well, ok, just one, but it was pretty epic when he had a one man dance party during the original X-Box release. Beyond the loss of Ballmer’s fly dance moves, will his leaving Microsoft help or hurt the company?
15 weeks 2 days ago
- With the NSA surveillance revelations, popular cloud services going down and leaving customers without access, and articles in Wired talking about companies deciding the cloud is a “waste of money” are we starting to see a pull back from the cloud model, or are these just blips on the radar screen?
16 weeks 3 days ago
- How do I restrict access to a Word doc and password protect it?
18 weeks 2 days ago
- I would say Push Button Reset. Sooner or later, most machines are going to have a problem, and when they do what do you do?
18 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there a reasonably accurate way to determine the value of a domain name?
19 weeks 2 days ago
- No, OEMs have to go through Google certification to get their devices access to Play, and a lot of the 2nd tier manufacturers don’t do it. I don’t know if that is a cost or effort issue. Your friend should still be able to use app stores such as Amazon or getjar.
19 weeks 6 days ago
- I can’t get Gmail to properly sync with Windows 8 so that my contacts will properly remain up to date. Has anyone had this problem, and if so, how can I fix it?
20 weeks 2 days ago
- Website design is not something that I am great at, but I see some sites that clearly have been put together by more accomplished people than me with what I consider terrible design decisions. Example, I was just reading the LA Times, and clicked the tab to the tech section. Having a second, I thought I’d check my email in another browser tab.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- Apple hasn’t released any pricing info yet, as you noted, but I would not be surprised if it costs $3000-$4000, depending on exactly what you get. That’s only a little more than the current generation Mac Pro, and it is a lot of money, but you do get a lot of Mac goodness.
21 weeks 6 days ago
- I’d say, no, it isn’t really necessary. A solid inbound firewall is obviously important, but outbound firewalls have little demonstrated benefit that I’ve seen.
21 weeks 6 days ago
- I’m using Windows 7, and I occasionally get runtime errors. What causes them, and is there anything I can do to prevent them?
22 weeks 3 days ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.