- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2013
Areas of Interest:
- According to a quote in a recent cnbc article, cyberinsurance is the fastest growing category of insurance. These policies can cover things like lost revenue, legal expenses and cost to repair a breach.
3 days 55 min ago
- I don’t know of a specific solution off the top of my head. However, I have a friend who works in IT at a local university. Next time I see him, I will ask him about this and see what they use.
3 days 1 hour ago
- When I can’t access a website, how can I check to see whether the problem is me (or if I am blocked) or there is really a problem with the website?
3 weeks 1 day ago
- No, I don’t think so. It would defeat the purpose of My Photo Stream, which is to share images immediately on all of your connected devices. You can always upload them individually to iCloud, but if you use My Photo Stream, it is either all or nothing.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- MrsMith asks Can a country successfully block a website the way Turkey is trying to do with Twitter?When a country decides to block an individual website, can they actually accomplish their goal? I’m curious how effective Turkey’s attempt to block Twitter will actually be.
4 weeks 5 days ago
- When using my laptop or tablet with public WiFi, say at a coffee shop, what types of things should be avoided? I don’t do any banking, for example, but am I just being paranoid? How can I safely use public WiFi?
6 weeks 1 day ago
- The animations are faster, so it will feel a little faster when opening or closing an app. The update should also cut down on the “low memory” crashes that have been happening with newer iPhones and iPads. There are also changes in the way some things look, but nothing too major there.
6 weeks 1 day ago
- When a small business is setting up a wireless network, what are some common mistakes to avoid?
6 weeks 6 days ago
- Is it worth the effort to enable MAC address filtering on a home WiFi network? I like the idea of increased security, but to be perfectly honest, I don’t want to waste my time if it doesn’t really make a difference.
10 weeks 5 days ago
- There are reports that Google is looking at selling Motorola to Lenovo for around $3 billion, when it paid around $12 billion just over 2 years ago. This seems like the loss of a lot of money, even for Google. Why would Google take such a big loss and sell a company it has only owned a couple of years for a fraction of the acquisition cost?
12 weeks 17 hours ago
- I found an apparently new USB hub sitting in the supply closet at my office, but when I plugged it in, it doesn’t work. Any troubleshooting ideas?
13 weeks 6 days ago
- CES has come and gone again. Were there any groundbreaking new products that will likely be huge in the coming year (or at least modestly succeed)?
14 weeks 2 days ago
- I like Google Play Music (or is it just Google Music), and I use it quite often. The only problem I have with it is that it eats storage on both my phone and tablet.
15 weeks 1 day ago
- How can I check to see how much storage space I have remaining on my SkyDrive account? I’m using Windows 8.1.
15 weeks 6 days ago
- I’m a little paranoid after a rootkit turned up on my PC a couple of weeks ago, and I have no idea how it got there or how long it was there before my anti-virus software identified it. Beyond up-to-date anti-virus software and a firewall, what can I do to help ensure security and privacy on my PC?
18 weeks 2 days ago
- I know a few people that root their Android devices as soon as they get them, and other people that would never root their devices because they are afraid they will mess up and have to buy a new phone or tablet. Are the advantages of rooting great enough to justify taking the risks, especially with newer devices?
19 weeks 21 hours ago
- Winamp Media Player is one of those things that just seems like it has always been there, even though I haven’t used it for years. AOL has apparently decided to do away with it, though. Are many people still using Winamp? Will they still be able to use it after it is officially “killed?”
21 weeks 6 days ago
- MrsMith asks What happens to BlackBerry now that takeover falls through and CEO Thorsten Heins is forced out?What’s next for good old BlackBerry now that the Fairfax Financial acquisition isn’t going to happen?
24 weeks 2 days ago
- MrsMith answers Re: How to stop Chrome from syncing browser data whenever I log into my Google account?I find it convenient, but it’s not hard to stop it. It’s as easy as A, B, C actually. A. Go into the dashboard. Log in. https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard?hl=en B. Scroll down to “Chrome Sync” and click “Manage Chrome Sync” on the right.
26 weeks 1 day ago
- It used to be simple to determine keywords through Google Analytics, but since they changed search to make all searches secure (https://) much of what you get is “(not provided.)” in a search query report. Is there still a way to determine meaningful keyword data since Google implemented this change?
26 weeks 2 days ago
- MrsMith asks What is the advantage of a 120Hz refresh rate versus a 60Hz refresh rate for a display?I’ve looked at two displays side by side with the same 1080p resolution, but one had a 60Hz refresh rate and one had a 120Hz refresh rate. I couldn’t tell the difference, to be honest. When does the faster refresh rate become a noticeable advantage?
27 weeks 2 days ago
- Basically XHTML is an evolution of HTML with more coherent rules and better organization. Webstandards.org lays out some of the differences and advantages here: http://www.webstandards.org/learn/articles/askw3c/oct2003/
28 weeks 9 hours ago
- It's a doc/pdf viewer. I guess they also want to you install Polaris Office 5. I still consider it bloatware, but at least it has some potential for usefullness.
28 weeks 9 hours ago
- You are right not to use window cleaner. In fact stay away from pretty much all household cleaners. The LCD screen cleaners vary greatly in their effectiveness - I’ve tried one that streaks so bad that the screen was much worse AFTER I cleaned it than before. Now I “roll my own” for both home and office use.
28 weeks 5 days ago
- Beyond the benefit of more efficiently utilizing otherwise unused computing power, what have users found to be the main benefit of virtualization?
29 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.