- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2013
Areas of Interest:
- When a small business is setting up a wireless network, what are some common mistakes to avoid?
2 days 17 hours ago
- Is it worth the effort to enable MAC address filtering on a home WiFi network? I like the idea of increased security, but to be perfectly honest, I don’t want to waste my time if it doesn’t really make a difference.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- There are reports that Google is looking at selling Motorola to Lenovo for around $3 billion, when it paid around $12 billion just over 2 years ago. This seems like the loss of a lot of money, even for Google. Why would Google take such a big loss and sell a company it has only owned a couple of years for a fraction of the acquisition cost?
5 weeks 3 days ago
- I found an apparently new USB hub sitting in the supply closet at my office, but when I plugged it in, it doesn’t work. Any troubleshooting ideas?
7 weeks 2 days ago
- CES has come and gone again. Were there any groundbreaking new products that will likely be huge in the coming year (or at least modestly succeed)?
7 weeks 5 days ago
- I like Google Play Music (or is it just Google Music), and I use it quite often. The only problem I have with it is that it eats storage on both my phone and tablet.
8 weeks 4 days ago
- How can I check to see how much storage space I have remaining on my SkyDrive account? I’m using Windows 8.1.
9 weeks 2 days ago
- I’m a little paranoid after a rootkit turned up on my PC a couple of weeks ago, and I have no idea how it got there or how long it was there before my anti-virus software identified it. Beyond up-to-date anti-virus software and a firewall, what can I do to help ensure security and privacy on my PC?
11 weeks 6 days ago
- I know a few people that root their Android devices as soon as they get them, and other people that would never root their devices because they are afraid they will mess up and have to buy a new phone or tablet. Are the advantages of rooting great enough to justify taking the risks, especially with newer devices?
12 weeks 4 days ago
- Winamp Media Player is one of those things that just seems like it has always been there, even though I haven’t used it for years. AOL has apparently decided to do away with it, though. Are many people still using Winamp? Will they still be able to use it after it is officially “killed?”
15 weeks 2 days ago
- MrsMith asks What happens to BlackBerry now that takeover falls through and CEO Thorsten Heins is forced out?What’s next for good old BlackBerry now that the Fairfax Financial acquisition isn’t going to happen?
17 weeks 6 days ago
- MrsMith answers Re: How to stop Chrome from syncing browser data whenever I log into my Google account?I find it convenient, but it’s not hard to stop it. It’s as easy as A, B, C actually. A. Go into the dashboard. Log in. https://www.google.com/settings/dashboard?hl=en B. Scroll down to “Chrome Sync” and click “Manage Chrome Sync” on the right.
19 weeks 4 days ago
- It used to be simple to determine keywords through Google Analytics, but since they changed search to make all searches secure (https://) much of what you get is “(not provided.)” in a search query report. Is there still a way to determine meaningful keyword data since Google implemented this change?
19 weeks 5 days ago
- MrsMith asks What is the advantage of a 120Hz refresh rate versus a 60Hz refresh rate for a display?I’ve looked at two displays side by side with the same 1080p resolution, but one had a 60Hz refresh rate and one had a 120Hz refresh rate. I couldn’t tell the difference, to be honest. When does the faster refresh rate become a noticeable advantage?
20 weeks 6 days ago
- Basically XHTML is an evolution of HTML with more coherent rules and better organization. Webstandards.org lays out some of the differences and advantages here: http://www.webstandards.org/learn/articles/askw3c/oct2003/
21 weeks 3 days ago
- It's a doc/pdf viewer. I guess they also want to you install Polaris Office 5. I still consider it bloatware, but at least it has some potential for usefullness.
21 weeks 3 days ago
- You are right not to use window cleaner. In fact stay away from pretty much all household cleaners. The LCD screen cleaners vary greatly in their effectiveness - I’ve tried one that streaks so bad that the screen was much worse AFTER I cleaned it than before. Now I “roll my own” for both home and office use.
22 weeks 2 days ago
- Beyond the benefit of more efficiently utilizing otherwise unused computing power, what have users found to be the main benefit of virtualization?
23 weeks 1 day ago
- How can I switch the current template in an existing Word document (Office 2013) to a different template?
23 weeks 5 days ago
- After the latest update to Office 2013, the Outlook folder pane is empty. How can I fix this?
25 weeks 3 days ago
- I remember people making plans to wait in line for earlier iPhones, but I haven’t notice anywhere near that level of buzz with the upcoming launch of the iPhone 5S. Are those days gone; has the iPhone become something that people no longer get excited about?
26 weeks 1 day ago
- I find that my forearms and wrists start to get uncomfortable by the middle of the afternoon when I spend the day at my desk. I know they have been around for years, but I’ve never tried an ergonomic keyboard other than for short periods at a time.
27 weeks 5 days ago
- I have some fond Steve Ballmer memories. Well, ok, just one, but it was pretty epic when he had a one man dance party during the original X-Box release. Beyond the loss of Ballmer’s fly dance moves, will his leaving Microsoft help or hurt the company?
28 weeks 1 day ago
- With the NSA surveillance revelations, popular cloud services going down and leaving customers without access, and articles in Wired talking about companies deciding the cloud is a “waste of money” are we starting to see a pull back from the cloud model, or are these just blips on the radar screen?
29 weeks 2 days ago
- How do I restrict access to a Word doc and password protect it?
31 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.