- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- You can hold it over boiling water for 4-5 minutes. I suggest using tongs or something similar, you don’t want to burn yourself! Also make sure it is dry before you reinstall the cartridge. I’ve had this method work sometimes, but not everytime. Still, it is worth a try, printer cartridges are expensive.
3 hours 16 min ago
- As gbcorb said, don’t use their uninstaller! It’s a pain to get rid of Genieo, but you definitely don’t want to leave that malware on your MacBook. The Safe Mac website that was mentioned has a very thorough guide to remove Genieo. Follow the directions carefully, and you should be able to rid yourself of it.
3 hours 19 min ago
- Google announced that it has been working on Project Tango, an ability to capture 3D environments using a smartphone. That’s neat, I suppose, but what practical uses does it have?
2 weeks 2 days ago
- nchristine answers Re: Does enabling MAC address filtering significantly improve home network security?The key word in your question is “significantly.” MAC address filtering does improve network security slightly, but it’s a pain to set up and the benefit is so marginal that I would not recommend it.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- To follow up on what Phil Johnson already said, I think the way printing works with Chromebooks is a major drawback. If you do have a Google Cloud Print printer (which I don’t) it’s fine. If you don’t the need to go through another computer is a clunky solution that prevents a Chomebook from being a go-to “laptop” for many people.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- More than any other software, I’m pestered with Java updates. Why does Java requires so many more updates than other software? It’s been around forever, wouldn’t the holes have already been identified and patched by now?
5 weeks 3 days ago
- I read in the NYT that AOL is going to kill off Patch, one of my favorite sources for local news. How much longer until they shut it down?
9 weeks 6 days ago
- Sure, you can still use it if you have it installed. There are also a few rumors that Microsoft may have purchased Winamp, but I’m not sure that they are accurate. Winamp actually isn’t all that bad, I would go so far as to say it beats iTunes as far as UI goes.
15 weeks 2 days ago
- Is there a generally accepted functional range for a residential grade wireless router?
15 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there a way to change where Excel automatically advances the cell pointer? Usually next cell down is fine, but not always. Thanks!
16 weeks 3 days ago
- nchristine answers Re: How can a computer virus be transmitted over the air from machine to machine?Hi, and thanks for the responses. I worded my question poorly, I wasn’t thinking about WiFi, 3G, etc as Carla pointed out. It was the badBios malware (or potential malware) that I heard the piece about, I just missed the name. Glad to hear that it probably is not a serious threat. Thanks for the info.
18 weeks 1 hour ago
- I was listening to the radio and heard a report on a new virus that could be transmitted without machines being physically connected. How is this even possible? Is it something to be concerned about at this point?
18 weeks 2 days ago
- I was looking around a storeroom at home and realize that I have three old PCs just sitting in a corner. I can pay to have them disposed of, but what are some other things I could do with them? They range from an old Acer running Windows 95 to a Gateway running Vista (just typing “Gateway” brings up memories of horrible customer service).
18 weeks 6 days ago
- I have a relatively slow internet connection, but it is the best I can get where I live. YouTube videos often buffer repeatedly, which makes watching them unbearable. Is there a way to buffer more than a few seconds of the video so that I don’t go through a maddening start/stop cycle while viewing?
20 weeks 3 days ago
- I know how to simply zoom in (Windows key and (+) key), but is there a way to only zoom in on a portion of the page, leaving the rest normally sized?
24 weeks 5 days ago
- nchristine answers Re: What’s the difference between Windows mainstream support and extended support?Yes, they will still be getting security patches and updates during extended support. There won’t be non-security updates or additional features added, but I doubt anyone using Vista would be expecting that anyway at this stage of the lifecycle.
27 weeks 3 days ago
- I know that this is a subjective question, but is it worth the discount in price to purchase a refurbished iPad instead of a brand new one? I’ve bought some products used before, and they were like new, but on the other hand, I bought a used LCD monitor and it had a stuck pixel and lots of surface scuffs.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- I asked a question yesterday about choosing a wireless WiFi channel. Thanks for the help, btw! I downloaded WiFi Analyzer for my Android phone and installed inSSIDer on my PC.
32 weeks 4 days ago
- When setting up a home network, how do you determine the best channel setting?
32 weeks 5 days ago
- A neighbor just got a new tablet made by Archos. When he tried to get apps, he was forced to go to a site calls AppsLib, and couldn’t install apps through Google Play. I thought Google Play was THE source for Android apps. Are some Android devices unable to access it?
33 weeks 2 days ago
- I see anecdotal stories about some creep taking over the webcam of some poor unsuspecting virtuous individual, and then viewing the hapless and unaware victim in what they think is a private setting. I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone I know, so I assume it is a rare occurrence. How could someone actually gain control over your webcam?
34 weeks 6 days ago
- You need to have end-to-end encryption on your communications, and no record of the conversation. Oh, and use Tor.
37 weeks 4 days ago
- You have to use action settings. Just go to Insert>Action Command. Choose Mouse Over and chose the settings you want.
37 weeks 4 days ago
- I recently started using the Office 2013 suite and noticed some things have changed. When I typed a word that was consistently, automatically changed by Autocorrect or when I typed a word I commonly misspelled I could right-click on the word and change how Autocorrect handled it. Is there a way to add this to the menu?
37 weeks 6 days ago
- A lot of devices are MHL compliant. You noted the Sony Tablet, and most new LG, HTC and Samsung tablets/smartphones are as well. On the display side, HDTVs and displays from the majority of major brands support MHL. I found a list of current of MHL enabled displays.
38 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.