* Linux certifications, including Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE);
* Microsoft certifications, including Microsoft Certified IT Professional (MCITP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS) and Microsoft Certified Professional Developer (MCPD);
*Project management certifications, including Project Management Professional (PMP);
* Security certifications, including Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), Check Point Certified Systems Administrator (CCSA) and Check Point Certified Security Expert (CCSE); and
* VMware certifications, including VMware Certified Professional (VCP).
When Robert Half Technology polled CIOs and asked what skills are most needed within their IT departments, the CIOs painted a similar picture, with networking again climbing to the top of their sought-after skills lists.
Top technical skills in demand by CIOs:
* Network administration
* Database management
* Desktop support
* Windows administration
* Web development/website design
* Telecommunications support
* Business intelligence
* ERP implementation
In terms of seniority, mid- and senior-level IT pros are most in demand, "especially those who are as comfortable discussing business strategy as they are working with complex systems and software," Robert Half Technology concludes. "Industries seeing the most active IT hiring include healthcare, manufacturing, professional services, high tech, solar and nonprofit."
Read more about infrastructure management in Network World's Infrastructure Management section.