- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- What’s the best way to connect an electric guitar to record sessions on a PC? Once I get everything set up, I’m planning on using Reaper digital audio workstation software, which is Windows compatible software similar to GarageBand on Macs. Sound is more important that cost, but keep in mind I’m not a professional musician.
1 week 1 day ago
- I don’t think there is a way to locate it down to the level of what room it is in using GPS unless you have a really, really large house. Or live in a mall. Even if the ringer is off, I am pretty sure that you can use the Android Dashboard that you can access through your google account.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- One of the standard pieces of advice that is given about improving security and avoiding malicious apps on Android devices is to only download applications from a trusted source, which means Google Play, and to a lesser extent Amazon’s app store. But how does Google ensure that the apps on Play are safe?
3 weeks 2 days ago
- When will Microsoft support for Windows 8 end? I’m wondering if we will see Windows 8 become the next Windows XP, used long after its “sell by date” simply because it is the version of Windows that many will replace XP with due to the end of XP support.
4 weeks 1 day ago
6 weeks 15 hours ago
- I’m not too worried about the contents on my Android phone - I use a strong lock pattern, and have it setup so I can remotely wipe it using Google Android Account manager. But what about the SD card? Is there a way to remote wide it or encrypt the SD card contents so they are not exposed if my device is lost or stolen?
6 weeks 5 days ago
- In addition to Christopher’s suggestions, I would add a couple of things: 1. Only install apps from Google Play or Amazon’s Store. A significant source of problem apps comes from people installing pirated apps to avoid ads. Either put up with the ads or pay for the version without them. Plus, developers need to make a living.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- As I understand it, one of the goals of CAPTCHA is to mitigate the effects of DDoS attacks. How is this effective? Assuming that an attack is flooding the server with repeated log-in attempts either with or without CAPTCHA, what difference does it make?
9 weeks 11 hours ago
- Thanks for the help. Hmm, I was thinking of the Cromebook as a sort of an inexpensive, no-hassle thin client, I'll have to weigh whether I want to go to the trouble to "make" things work vs. just getting a cheap Windows Laptop. Appreciate the info!
11 weeks 19 hours ago
- Is there a version of Word that can be used on Chromebooks? I’m thinking of getting one, but I don’t want to be stuck using the Google Docs all the time.
11 weeks 1 day ago
- The first option that comes to mind is Mozilla Thunderbird, which should meet your requirements. It’s open source, and it’s also free, so you can try it to see if you like it without spending any money. http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
11 weeks 2 days ago
- Google spent $3.2 billion to acquire Nest, the company who developed smart thermostats. My first thought was that it was awesome, since there will be a company with vast resources, both financially and intellectually, to continue the march towards a “smart home” future.
13 weeks 14 hours ago
- I got an iPad for my mom because she likes Apple products, but I’m an Android user that has never owned a single thing made my Apple. Her first question when she got it was which apps are good. My response, “Er, Netflix is good.”
15 weeks 6 days ago
- owen asks When running Windows 7 in XP mode, do I need a separate anti-virus for the virtual machine?On a Windows 7 PC that has anti-virus installed, do I need to also install anti-virus on the virtual machine when running in XP mode?
17 weeks 13 hours ago
- How much longer will new copies of Windows 7 be available?
18 weeks 2 days ago
- The Dept. of Justice has intervened in a lawsuit against H&R Block on the basis that the H&R Block website is not sufficiently accessible to disabled users under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Honestly, ADA compliance for a website is something that I’ve never even considered.
20 weeks 16 hours ago
- What is the difference between programming languages and scripting languages? Are the two terms essentially interchangeable?
24 weeks 2 days ago
- owen answers Re: How to use older audio systems with LED TVs that only have optical digital audio output?Yes, but it is fairly expensive, and you have to make sure that you either get one that can convert a dolby digital signal to analog 2-channel, or change all the audio output settings on your display to 2-channel stereo. They range from about $40-80 dollars online. That’s still going to be cheaper than all but the lowest quality soundbar.
26 weeks 12 hours ago
- Both Verdana and Georgia were created specifically to be readable on computer displays, so I would suggest trying them out. Arial is ok too, I suppose.
26 weeks 15 hours ago
- 19 bad sectors isn’t really many, but it is a worrying sign. Once you start seeing errors, in my experience things tend to get worse. Scan it again regularly, and I bet that you will start to see more errors. If not, then just call me some idiot on the internet and don’t worry about it. Oh, and as jimlynch said, back up your data!
26 weeks 5 days ago
- I’ve always heard to be sure that only one anti-virus program is active on a computer. I’ve accepted this, and always followed the “rule” but why is this true. Why is it bad to have more than one anti-virus program?
31 weeks 10 hours ago
- owen answers Re: A temporary account is in windows 8 software opening everytime i switch on the laptopSomeone else had the same problem with Windows 8, hopefully this will help you resolve it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/window...
31 weeks 1 day ago
- In and of itself ppi means little to me once it passes the line of obvious pixelization. There are other things that matter such as contrast, color saturation and accuracy. It also matters how far away the display is. For example, think of those giant jumbotron displays at sports events.
31 weeks 1 day ago
- Is there any reason not to use https all the time? Why hasn’t it become the standard instead of http if it is more secure?
32 weeks 5 days ago
- owen answers Re: Will a price cut to $299 be enough to make the Wii U competitive with the upcoming XBox One and PS4?It will certainly give it a chance, whereas being priced only $50 less than the significantly more powerful PS4, I think it would have been a very tough sale for Nintendo. What will help just as much is Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will also be available in a $299 Wii U bundle, and that is a compelling selling point to me.
32 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.