- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- Is there a way to encrypt files stored on Google Drive?
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Does Office 365 work on Windows RT tablets the same as Windows 8 tablets, or do RT users have to make do with a gimped version?
5 weeks 3 days ago
- There are about a half dozen different versions of Photoshop available with a wide range of prices, and I am trying to pick the one that is most appropriate for an amateur photographer. I'm more of a point and shoot photographer, but my wife takes it more seriously.
6 weeks 4 days ago
- The two main things are to only install mature applications that have a track record of significant installs and lots of reviews, and check out the developer to see what else they have done and whether there are complaints about their other apps. This is far from perfect, but it can help avoid a lot of problems.
8 weeks 4 days ago
- If you didn't (or don't) have anything tying you to a certain location after graduating college and were just starting out, where would you move to pursue a career in IT?
9 weeks 6 days ago
- Try a restart and if that doesn't work, try a reset (home + on/off and hold both for about 10 seconds until the Apple logo shows up). Most of the time that will take care of it. If it doesn't, you might want to try to use iCloud back up to restore the data. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4859
9 weeks 6 days ago
- owen answers Re: How to stop an Android phone from downloading Gmail attachments every time I connect to WiFi?It can be hard to find the setting for this, but one way you can keep Gmail from automatically synching is to go into your device's SETTINGS menu, then ACCOUNTS & SYNC. You can un-check auto-synch, but that will disable it for all applications.
10 weeks 5 days ago
- I accidentally deleted a table when I meant to delete a column. It was just a moment when I was thinking about other things and entered in DROP TABLE XXXX. when I meant to enter ALTER TABLE XXXX. Is there any way to recover the table?
11 weeks 4 days ago
- Thank's for the responses, now I have some homework this evening to give them a try.
12 weeks 13 hours ago
- Most, perhaps all, modern CPUs have a thermistor, and if you go into your BIOS you can configure shutdowns based on temperature. You probably just crossed the factory set threshold and triggered the shutdown that is in place to protect your hardware.
12 weeks 14 hours ago
- How can I block inappropriate websites on my home network? I have a son who is 14, and surprise, surprise, he is going to websites that I don't approve of. I could tell him not to, but let's be real - he's a 14 year old boy. How can I block these types of sites?
12 weeks 3 days ago
- I've seen numbers all over the board. Some show significant costs associated with BYOD, some actually show savings. Intel's CIO reported that they saw a $3 gain in employee productivity for every $1 they spent on BYOD.
12 weeks 5 days ago
- I used a Google image search to find similar images to one of my photos, and I was a little taken aback when I saw my own photo come up multiple times on sites I've never even heard of. Is there an easy way to add a watermark to existing photos?
13 weeks 3 days ago
- Hopefully this stupid law will go away soon. It seems that nobody likes it. Well, maybe carriers and OEM manufacturers do, since it basically provides a way to force you to spend more money if they are so inclined. That said, it doesn't make it totally illegal to unlock your phone, you just have to get your carrier to agree.
14 weeks 3 days ago
- I'm not 100% certain if it is the same for iPad as iPhone, but on a jailbroken (jailbroke?) iPhone 4, you can go into Settings>General>Usage, then just select the app you want to delete. That should do it.
15 weeks 13 hours ago
- Factory reset (in your setting menu, probably under Privacy, but may be somewhere else depending on OS version). Take out your SIM card, if it has one. Remove your SD card. That should do it. Double check by looking in gallery to make sure it is clean and try gmail to make sure it requests your account data instead of logging you on.
15 weeks 6 days ago
- A lot of people are pretty excited about the Pebble watch, although of course that may be a completely different product that whatever Apple comes up with. I think you make valid points about the limitations of a display the size of a large postage stamp. Still, I could also see its usefulness at times.
17 weeks 14 hours ago
- Any idea when the next version of Android will come out? I'm at the end of my 2 year sentence, er contract, and I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and upgrade to a new device or wait a little longer for the next Android release.
17 weeks 6 days ago
- The person who set the password on our router left the company and now no one can find the password. Is there a way to recover the password, or are am I going to have to go to the router store? It's a Linksys unit, incidentally. Thanks.
19 weeks 5 days ago
- Has there been any research that indicates the effectiveness of using different social media networks? I know Facebook is largest, for example, but is it more effective at reaching people than Twitter (for example)? Also, how do you measure the impact of social media on a business?
21 weeks 9 hours ago
- I think of CES as being my shopping list for next Christmas. I saw a sweet WiFi enabled clothes dryer, honey! Kidding....kind of. Actually, I saw some interesting new software from Synology for their NAS devices (DSM 4.2 beta) that emphasize cloud based management and includes Synology High Availability on their NAS devices.
22 weeks 6 days ago
- It doesn't take all that much bandwidth for VoIP calls, and more often than not, I have found the problem lies elsewhere when there are call quality issues. Basically, once you have allocated sufficient bandwidth for each call, you should look at jitter, latency and packet loss.
23 weeks 4 days ago
- I think you nailed what happened to it when you mentioned the $300 cost. It wasn't just overpriced, it was grossly overpriced. Honestly, you could get a Nexus 4 for the same price. Google apparently thought better of it too, and pulled it off the market, at least temporarily, so they could add more features.
24 weeks 3 days ago
- My current Android smartphone, an LG Revolution, is almost 2 years old, so since it is due for a replacement anyway, I was thinking about trying to learn how to root it and see if I could get a few more months out of it. I know what rooting is, but that is about it. What is the best way to learn how to do it?
25 weeks 3 days ago
- I'm seeing red after reading the new terms of service that helpfully tell me that Instagram will sell my: "...username, likeness, photos (along with any associated metadata) and/or actions you take, in connection with paid or sponsored content or promotions, without any compensation to you."
25 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.