- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- The Dept. of Justice has intervened in a lawsuit against H&R Block on the basis that the H&R Block website is not sufficiently accessible to disabled users under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Honestly, ADA compliance for a website is something that I’ve never even considered.
1 week 1 day ago
- What is the difference between programming languages and scripting languages? Are the two terms essentially interchangeable?
5 weeks 3 days ago
- owen answers Re: How to use older audio systems with LED TVs that only have optical digital audio output?Yes, but it is fairly expensive, and you have to make sure that you either get one that can convert a dolby digital signal to analog 2-channel, or change all the audio output settings on your display to 2-channel stereo. They range from about $40-80 dollars online. That’s still going to be cheaper than all but the lowest quality soundbar.
7 weeks 20 hours ago
- Both Verdana and Georgia were created specifically to be readable on computer displays, so I would suggest trying them out. Arial is ok too, I suppose.
7 weeks 23 hours ago
- 19 bad sectors isn’t really many, but it is a worrying sign. Once you start seeing errors, in my experience things tend to get worse. Scan it again regularly, and I bet that you will start to see more errors. If not, then just call me some idiot on the internet and don’t worry about it. Oh, and as jimlynch said, back up your data!
7 weeks 5 days ago
- I’ve always heard to be sure that only one anti-virus program is active on a computer. I’ve accepted this, and always followed the “rule” but why is this true. Why is it bad to have more than one anti-virus program?
12 weeks 18 hours ago
- owen answers Re: A temporary account is in windows 8 software opening everytime i switch on the laptopSomeone else had the same problem with Windows 8, hopefully this will help you resolve it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/window...
12 weeks 1 day ago
- In and of itself ppi means little to me once it passes the line of obvious pixelization. There are other things that matter such as contrast, color saturation and accuracy. It also matters how far away the display is. For example, think of those giant jumbotron displays at sports events.
12 weeks 1 day ago
- Is there any reason not to use https all the time? Why hasn’t it become the standard instead of http if it is more secure?
13 weeks 5 days ago
- owen answers Re: Will a price cut to $299 be enough to make the Wii U competitive with the upcoming XBox One and PS4?It will certainly give it a chance, whereas being priced only $50 less than the significantly more powerful PS4, I think it would have been a very tough sale for Nintendo. What will help just as much is Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will also be available in a $299 Wii U bundle, and that is a compelling selling point to me.
13 weeks 6 days ago
- The two main things are that it will be slower on a Mac, and all those keyboard shortcuts that you committed to memory won’t be the same on a Mac. The basic core will be the same, but I’d wager you will not find a single person (fanboys excepted) who has actually used both that doesn’t view Excel on the Mac as the inferior version.
13 weeks 6 days ago
- owen answers Re: If I own multiple web sites, should I link them all together, or will that actually hurt SEO?As long as all of the sites are related and relevant with each other, I agree with Christopher. However, if they are completely different in themes and content, it could harm your SEO efforts, according to Google. I think it helps prevent using link exhanges to improve a sites Page Rank
14 weeks 2 days ago
- I have a lengthy document, and don’t need to print all the pages every time. How can I print just the ones I need without wasting the time, paper and ink to print the entire thing?
14 weeks 6 days ago
- If I upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8, can I do an "in-place" upgrade (applications, settings and personal files “in place” after the upgrade)?
15 weeks 5 days ago
- I have a Western Digital HDD that makes a sound on attempted start up that is a little like one of those European police sirens, three note long. Does anyone know either what could cause this or suggest a guide that can help diagnose problems by sound?
18 weeks 5 days ago
- The most recent “cell phone blows up” story made me wonder, what actually causes these batteries to ignite? Is there something some users are doing that make it it likely to occur, or is it really one of those luck of the draw events that just occurs randomly?
20 weeks 6 days ago
- Certainly, although it may not be to a huge degree. Keep in mind, we really don’t know the extent of government monitoring, although it is clearly expansive.
21 weeks 2 days ago
- I didn’t realize until today that Macs don’t have an outbound firewall. Is this something to be concerned about for a personal use machine?
21 weeks 6 days ago
- Is there a way to encrypt data on an Android phone, and if so, how do you do it?
23 weeks 2 hours ago
- No, Apple keeps Facetime “in the family” so you can’t use it with PCs.
23 weeks 4 hours ago
- How high of a ping value is acceptable? Lately, when I test it, I have been seeing results in the 110-120 range. I haven’t really noticed any problems though.
23 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there a way to encrypt files stored on Google Drive?
28 weeks 22 hours ago
- Does Office 365 work on Windows RT tablets the same as Windows 8 tablets, or do RT users have to make do with a gimped version?
29 weeks 5 days ago
- There are about a half dozen different versions of Photoshop available with a wide range of prices, and I am trying to pick the one that is most appropriate for an amateur photographer. I'm more of a point and shoot photographer, but my wife takes it more seriously.
31 weeks 2 hours ago
- The two main things are to only install mature applications that have a track record of significant installs and lots of reviews, and check out the developer to see what else they have done and whether there are complaints about their other apps. This is far from perfect, but it can help avoid a lot of problems.
33 weeks 2 hours ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.