October 19, 2010, 7:44 AM — by Daniel P. Dern - I got an iPhone 4 in mid-August that displaced a years-old Nokia cell phone that I don't think ever had a text message sent from it. Based on my own experiences to date with the iPhone 4, here are some suggestions for using your iPhone to its best advantage. Ignore them at your peril (unless you think you know better, which, quite possibly, you do).
Things To Know -- including some that Apple and/or AT&T didn't tell you, or did when you weren't paying attention
1. If you take longer than thirty days to decide you won't want to keep your iPhone, while you're past the point where you can simply return it, if you stick with AT&T as your carrier, using some other phone, you don't have to pay that nasty service termination fee. And your iPhone still works as a WiFi device.
2. Be sure you take all the plastic protective wrappings off before you try making a phone call, the front sheet muffles the sound. Yeah, yeah, beginner's stupid mistake.
3. Those over-stylish Apple earbuds are also your wired phone headset -- they're the Apple In-Ear Headphones with Remote and Mic -- there's a microphone below one of the earbuds, along with the volume control. And Apple's MSRP for them is $79.00. So don't lose them.
4. Your Bluetooth headset(s) may not work with the iPhone 4. I've tried three or four so far -- all of which have worked fine with my old non-smart Nokia 6230 -- including an Aliph Jawbone. I need to try again, but so far, very annoying.
Things To Get -- useful accessories.
The iPhone, along with the iPod and now also the iPad, have spawned incomprehensibly vast empires of third-party cases and geegaws. Some of dubious merit, but many do make immediate sense. Here are some starter suggestions for productivity and protection.
[ See also: 8 unusual iPad cases ]
1. Get a protective case immediately, especially if you think you may want to return the iPhone. This is a $600 device that's being carried around in pockets and bags, dumped on tables near food, etc., it deserves some protection from bumps and gunk.