- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2013
Bio: Windows 8 Hacks," "How the Internet Works," and "NOOK Tablet: The Missing Manual." He has written about technology for more than 20 years, and has published in numerous national magazines and newspapers, ranging from Computerworld to USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, the Dallas Morning News, and CIO Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter @pgralla or Google+.
Areas of Interest:
- Use your Mac long enough and it gets bloated with unwanted files, caches, and incompletely installed apps. I've got three free tools for you that will clean out your Mac, and along the way boost your productivity as well.
14 hours 56 min ago
- Samsung's just-announced Chromebook 2s have impressive specs, but they also have one serious drawback as well. Are they the best Chromebooks ever, or has Samsung made a serious miscalculation with them?
2 days 17 hours ago
- The just-announced Samsung Galaxy S5 will go head to head with the iPhone 5 for the most popular phone in the world. If you're interested in productivity, which is better for you?
4 days 16 hours ago
- If you use Bank of America's iPhone app to deposit checks, beware. You could lose thousands of dollars, because though the app tells you that your deposits go through, the bank may later disallow them, even if they're valid checks with cash behind them -- and the bank won't even bother to tell you that it took money out of your account. That's exactly what happened to me. Read on for the gruesome details.
1 week 18 hours ago
- Firefox's new smartphone OS has been making big news at the Worldwide Mobile Congress, with a slew of new phones available for it. But Firefox phones are likely not ones you'll want -- not now, and maybe not ever. Here are three reasons why it's not for you.
1 week 1 day ago
- Small Wi-Fi networks that allow guest user access are open to very big security holes. They needn't be, though: Here's a quick way to clamp down on potential threats.
1 week 4 days ago
- A disturbing report from RiskIQ says that malicious Android apps in Google Play have leaped nearly 400% since 2011, with Google removing fewer and fewer of them. But you don't need to be at the mercy of the bad guys. Here are six ways to protect yourself against Android malware.
2 weeks 13 hours ago
- The privacy dangers of Google go beyond what Google knows about you -- you may have given dozens of sites access to your Google account information without realizing it. Here's how to conduct a security audit of your Google account, and how to take action to keep it safe.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Android tablet deathmatch: Amazon Kindle Fire HDX versus the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3Two of the hottest-selling Android tablets are the Amazon Kindle Fire HDX and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. When it comes to getting work done, which is best?
3 weeks 2 days ago
- Apple CEO Tim Cook tells the Wall Street Journal that Android tablets are "crappy" compared to iPads. Does he have a point, or is it just the usual Apple bluster?
3 weeks 4 days ago
- Getting a videoconferencing systems has always mean sky-high hardware costs, big maintenance woes, and extreme service fees. But no longer. Google's new Chrome-based videoconferencing system costs about what you'd normally pay for a PC.
4 weeks 13 hours ago
- Chrome isn't just for small ultrabooks anymore. Asus just announced a desktop Chrome machine --- should it be your next desktop PC?
4 weeks 2 days ago
- Chrome today may seem a niche-oriented operating system, but one day Chrome and its apps may turn into a world-beater. Here's why.
4 weeks 4 days ago
- Wish you could run Android or its apps on your Windows PC? I've got three ways you can do it, one to run Android apps inside Windows, and two to install the entire Android operating system on your Windows PC.
5 weeks 13 hours ago
- Want to turn your tablet into a productivity machine like a PC or Mac? There's no need to give up power and flexibility just because you're working on a less-expensive, portable device. Here's how to do it.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- If you're using a Chrome extension, you could be victimized by snooping, malware, and adware. But no need to worry: I've got extensions that protect you, as well as a list of potential malicious extensions you should avoid.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- Annoyed that LogMeIn's remote access service is no longer free? Be annoyed no more. I've got five free alternatives that do everything LogMeIn does, and more.
6 weeks 12 hours ago
- Want to get more out of your Chromebook? Then check out these five great productivity tools, every one of them free.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- Want to get more out of using a Chromebook? I've got help. Check out these top five tips for getting more out of yours.
7 weeks 18 hours ago
- Want go get more out of Google Drive? I've got help for you with these five tips and tools to power it up.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- Now that CES is over, it's time for the rest of us to get our hands on the best hardware announced there. Here are the five best devices announced at the show for anyone looking to boost their productivity.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Battle of the CES Chromebooks: Which is better, the Acer C7 or Toshiba Chromebook?The two big-time Chromebook introductions at CES are Acer's newest, the Acer C720P-2600, and the Toshiba Chromebook. Which one is the best for you?
8 weeks 17 hours ago
- Preston Gralla wrote How does the Toshiba Chromebook stack up against the Samsung, Acer 720 and HP Chromebook 14?The Toshiba Chromebook, just announced at the Consumer Electronics Show, looks to be a solid machine with a good-sized screen and the right price. How does it stack up against the Samsung, Acer 720 and HP Chromebook 14?
8 weeks 2 days ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Google operating system shootout: Which should you buy, a Chrome or Android machine?With a spate of Android and Chome PC introductions at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), Google is suddenly an operating system beheamoth. If you're considering one, which is best for productivity, an Android or Chrome machine?
8 weeks 3 days ago
- If one of your New Year's resolution is to be more productive, I've got help for you: Five great productivity-boosting iOS apps, every one of them free.
9 weeks 15 hours ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.