- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2013
Bio: Windows 8 Hacks," "How the Internet Works," and "NOOK Tablet: The Missing Manual." He has written about technology for more than 20 years, and has published in numerous national magazines and newspapers, ranging from Computerworld to USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, the Dallas Morning News, and CIO Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter @pgralla or Google+.
Areas of Interest:
- The Samsung Chromebook 2 looks to be a killer machine, with some of the best specs yet for a Chromebook. But don't start licking your chops yet, because if you want it, you're going to have to wait.
2 days 21 hours ago
- Want to browse the Web faster, without paying extra for more bandwidth? It's simple to do. Just use one of these three free services to hack the DNS system for faster and more reliable surfing.
4 days 21 hours ago
- Dell just released the latest entry in the Chromebook wars, its Dell Chromebook 11. It's a great machine -- but is it the best Chromebook ever?
6 days 23 hours ago
- A few days ago I wrote about what appeared to be a problem with Spotify's recent iPhone upgrade, and included a workaround. But Spotify has come through with a simpler answer. It works like a charm. Here's how to do it.
1 week 3 days ago
- Before you sell or recycle your old smartphone or tablet, you need to wipe it clean, for security's sake. It's not always as easy to do as you might think -- but I'll tell you how, for iOS, Android, Windows Phone, Windows 8, and Blackberry.
1 week 4 days ago
- I've been a happy Spotify subscriber for quite some time, willing to pay $10 a month to stream music to my iPhone, iPad, Android devices, and Sonos music system. But Spotify's latest iPhone update looked as if it thumbed its nose at paying iPhone subscribers. In fact, it didn't, and was just a confusing interface. Read on for details.
1 week 4 days ago
- Not happy with the Mac's mail program? No problem. Here are three very good alternatives.
1 week 6 days ago
- How often does a great tool come along that combines collaboration with cloud access and word processing prowess? Not often. That's why you should consider downloading this great free app now.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Battle of the Android heavyweights: Which wins, the HTC One or the Samsung Galaxy S5?The HTC One and the Samsung Galaxy S5 are clearly the best Android phones you can buy today. Which is best for you?
2 weeks 4 days ago
- If 11-inch Chromebooks cramp your style and productivity, you'll want to consider Toshiba's new 13-inch Chromebook. Is it a winner, or something you should pass up?
3 weeks 9 min ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Why pay for Office for the iPad? These 5 great free suites give you all you need.Don't like the idea of paying for Office for the iPad? There's no need to. Instead, use these great free suites you can get today.
3 weeks 3 days ago
- The HTC One has gotten plenty of praise with its just-released revamp. Is it the best Android phone you can get today?
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Smartphones aren't the only thing getting bigger -- so are some tablets. Samsung has brought out its biggest to date: The big 12.2-inch Galaxy Note Pro. It it something you should get, or is it overkill?
3 weeks 6 days ago
- OneNote and Evernote may dominate mobile note-taking, but there are plenty other very good ones that might be better for you. Here are five of my favorite free ones.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- There are plenty of backup and sync solutions out there, and choosing the best among them can be tough. But there are two that stand out from the pack -- check them out, because they well might surprise you.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Google Drive and Microsoft's OneDrive are both very good solutions for cloud-based storage that integrates directly with your traditional PCs and mobile devices. Which one is best for you?
5 weeks 2 days ago
- If you're looking for an inexpensive desktop system, then you should take a long, hard look at the Asus Chromebox, which ships later this month. Here are four reasons you won't want to pass it up.
5 weeks 3 days ago
- The big news at this year's Mobile World Congress was a new generation of phablets like the LG Optimus G Pro 2, the ZTE Grand Memo II, the Huawei MediaPad X1 and others. Here's why your next phone might be a phablet like them.
5 weeks 6 days ago
- Use your Mac long enough and it gets bloated with unwanted files, caches, and incompletely installed apps. I've got three free tools for you that will clean out your Mac, and along the way boost your productivity as well.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- Samsung's just-announced Chromebook 2s have impressive specs, but they also have one serious drawback as well. Are they the best Chromebooks ever, or has Samsung made a serious miscalculation with them?
6 weeks 5 days ago
- The just-announced Samsung Galaxy S5 will go head to head with the iPhone 5 for the most popular phone in the world. If you're interested in productivity, which is better for you?
7 weeks 23 min ago
- If you use Bank of America's iPhone app to deposit checks, beware. You could lose thousands of dollars, because though the app tells you that your deposits go through, the bank may later disallow them, even if they're valid checks with cash behind them -- and the bank won't even bother to tell you that it took money out of your account. That's exactly what happened to me. Read on for the gruesome details.
7 weeks 3 days ago
- Firefox's new smartphone OS has been making big news at the Worldwide Mobile Congress, with a slew of new phones available for it. But Firefox phones are likely not ones you'll want -- not now, and maybe not ever. Here are three reasons why it's not for you.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- Small Wi-Fi networks that allow guest user access are open to very big security holes. They needn't be, though: Here's a quick way to clamp down on potential threats.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- A disturbing report from RiskIQ says that malicious Android apps in Google Play have leaped nearly 400% since 2011, with Google removing fewer and fewer of them. But you don't need to be at the mercy of the bad guys. Here are six ways to protect yourself against Android malware.
8 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.