- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2013
Bio: Windows 8 Hacks," "How the Internet Works," and "NOOK Tablet: The Missing Manual." He has written about technology for more than 20 years, and has published in numerous national magazines and newspapers, ranging from Computerworld to USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, the Dallas Morning News, and CIO Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter @pgralla or Google+.
Areas of Interest:
- Don't want to be stuck in hotel with Wi-Fi speeds as slow as an ancient 9,600 bps modems? Here's how to check out hotel Wi-Fi speeds before you book so that you'll be able to travel in the fast lane.
9 hours 11 min ago
- On the lookout for great, free iOS apps? I've give five good ones -- and you probably haven't used a single one yet.
2 days 6 hours ago
- Dell's Chromebook 11 is so popular that the company has stopped selling it online. But don't despair. Here are some great alternative Chromebooks to consider.
6 days 6 hours ago
- On the lookout for great Android apps? I've got five free ones that you've probably never used before.
1 week 7 hours ago
- If you think that Chromebooks skimp on power, and can't do the real work of a laptop, think again. Acer's new C720 Chromebook packs a powerful punch, at a surprisingly affordable price. I've got specs and details.
1 week 3 days ago
- Want to get more out of Gmail? Then try these five free Gmail add-ins, each of which will make you instantly more productive.
1 week 6 days ago
- Looking for the best Android phone ever built, when you consider its price and value? Then you might want to get in line for the OnePlus One. I've got details, including whether it might be right for you.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- Want to give your Wi-Fi network a quick speed boost? Then check out these five no-cost or low-cost ways to improve its peformance.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Battle of the super minis: The Samsung Galaxy S5 mini takes on the HTC One mini 2The just-announced Samsung Galaxy S5 mini looks to be a great phone for those who want a smaller screen and smaller price tag than the full-blown Samsung Galaxy S5. How does it stack up against the other great mini, the HTC One mini 2?
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Microsoft Office is the most popular productivity suite on the planet, but it doesn't come cheap. Or maybe it does. Here's a way to get it for $9.95, with the help of whoever employs you.
3 weeks 3 days ago
- The Samsung Galaxy Tab S is an impressive tablet -- probably the best Android tablet you can buy. But how does it stack up against the iPad? I've got the rundown for you.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- Amazon's Fire Phone looks to be an impressive piece of hardware -- but how does it stack up against the reigning Android heavyweight, the Samsung Galaxy S5? I've got the answer for you.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- Apple's upcoming acquisition of the Beats streaming music service for $3 billion immediately puts it into the big time. But Spotify is the reigning streaming-music king. Which is better for you?
7 weeks 1 day ago
- The Samsung Galaxy S5 is the king of Android phones. But the new LG 3, soon available, looks to be an impressive device. Here's the rundown on which is a better bet for you.
7 weeks 3 days ago
- Want to get more out of work and life with your iPhone or iPad? Then check out these great five productivity apps -- every one of them free.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- The Amazon bully just got nastier, with Amazon refusing to take orders for upcoming books from publisher Hachette for authors including J.K. Rowling, Tina Fey, and others, because Hachette won't agree to Amazon's lowball pricing demands. Tired of buying from the world's nastiest Web site? There are plenty of other alternatives --- here are six of my favorites.
8 weeks 1 day ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Got some spare change? Maybe you want this quad-core HP Android tablet for $100.If you want a quad-core Android tablet, not only will you not have to break the bank -- you'll barely have to reach into your pocket. HP has started selling its HP 7 Plus quad-core tablet for a mere $100. You won't get a top-end machine, of course. So is it worth the money?
8 weeks 6 days ago
- Worried that Google has become too much of a Big Brother, and you're looking for a search engine that will protect your privacy? You're in luck, because I've got four great alternatives -- engines that do great searches and don't track what you do.
9 weeks 1 day ago
- Got an iOS device and want to be more productive? Then check out five of my favorite free productivity apps -- every one of them free.
9 weeks 3 days ago
- The new Firefox has been out for a while, and after a few weeks with it, I'm a believer. Here are five reasons you'll love it.
9 weeks 6 days ago
- General Motors just announced a plan that will make its cars into rolling data hot spots, allowing passengers to browse the Web, send and receive email, watch movies, listen to streaming music -- the whole nine yards. Is it worth it, or are there better ways to give you car data access?
10 weeks 2 days ago
- Got a Chromebook and want to get more out of it? I've got help --- use these five great Chromebook tips.
10 weeks 6 days ago
- Chromebooks are about to power up, with a host of manufacturers announcing a slew of new Chromebook models based on Intel chips to be available in the next few months. Which one might be best for you?
11 weeks 1 day ago
- Last week I shared five of my favorite tips for the Samsung Galaxy S5. They've proved to be popular, so I'm back with five more.
11 weeks 3 days ago
- Tired of being tracked by online ad networks? Then you'll want to give the new Privacy Badger a try. This free add-in for Chrome and Firefox blocks unscrupulous ad networks from tracking you, while still allowing you to use helpful cookies.
11 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 5
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.