- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2013
Bio: Windows 8 Hacks," "How the Internet Works," and "NOOK Tablet: The Missing Manual." He has written about technology for more than 20 years, and has published in numerous national magazines and newspapers, ranging from Computerworld to USA Today, the Los Angeles Times, the Dallas Morning News, and CIO Magazine. You can follow him on Twitter @pgralla or Google+.
Areas of Interest:
- It's time for the battle of the smartphone heavyweights: The iPhone 6 takes on the Samsung Galaxy S5. Which is best for you? I've got details and specs.
12 hours 42 min ago
- Last week there were inaccurate reports that millions of Google passwords were hacked. It wasn't really the case, but you still should keep your Google account as safe as possible. Here's how to go a long way towards making sure it doesn't get hacked.
2 days 8 hours ago
- Now that the iPhone 6 Plus has been announced the battle of the phablets is on. There are two great phablet choices between the iPhone 6 Plus and the recently announced Samsung Galaxy Note 4. Which is best for you?
5 days 11 hours ago
- Chrome machines are just small, easy-to-carry laptops, right? Wrong. The new Dell Chromebox may lead the way for an onslaught of inexpensive, desktop machines. Here's why.
1 week 8 hours ago
- Perhaps the biggest rumored news about the iPhone 6, due out tomorrow, are that there will be two versions, both of which will sport larger screens than the iPhone 5 -- one 4.7-inch and one 5.5 inch. Do you really need a smartphone with a screen that size?
1 week 2 days ago
- Motorola just unveiled its next generation of its Moto X flagship phone, and it's a clear winner. This may well be the Android phone you've been waiting for. I've got details and specs.
1 week 5 days ago
- Toshiba just announced its next-generation Chromebook line, the Chromebook 2. Is it the one you've been waiting for? I've got details and specs.
2 weeks 8 hours ago
- Frustrated by spending too much time searching for parking? I've got four free apps to help cut the frustration and find you a spot fast.
2 weeks 5 days ago
- Planning on selling your old iPhone so you can buy the iPhone 6 when it launches in several weeks? Here's how to make sure that you get your top trade-in dollar.
3 weeks 13 hours ago
- Want to get more out of iOS's digital assistant Siri? I've got five great tips for you.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- Acer just announced a new Chrome-based desktop PC to sell for $180. That makes at least the third Chrome PC from a big-time PC vendor. Does it mean your next desktop computer should be a Chromebox?
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Want to download videos and music from YouTube and other video sites? You're in luck -- I've got five very good free ones, every one of them free.
4 weeks 10 hours ago
- Looking to get the best software for your Mac, and don't want to pay a penny? I've got what you want: Five of the best free downloads you can find.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- Find yourself at public Wi-Fi hot spots that don't seem so hot? I've got five foolproof ways to speed up you connection.
4 weeks 5 days ago
- The just-released Lenovo IdeaPad N20P is a Chromebook with a twist, literally -- its screen swivels to turn it into a slate. Is this the future of Chromebooks, or just an outlier?
5 weeks 12 hours ago
- Acer just announced a 13.3-inch Chromebook that looks to be a winner. But can it beat out Samsung's Chromebook 2? I've got specs and the rundown.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- It's still unclear exactly what passwords were stolen by Russian hackers, and how dangerous the breech might be. But whether or not you're affected, here are five ways to keep your passwords safe.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- If you want to protect yourself against snoopers, hackers and more when browsing the Web, you need these five great security addons for Chrome and Firefox. They're all free, and they'll all help increase your online security.
6 weeks 12 hours ago
- If you're worried about your privacy online, check out these five great free VPNs. They'll keep you safe from prying eyes and are a cinch to use.
6 weeks 2 days ago
- If you're a Dropbox user looking to get more out of the service, I've got help for you. Here are five of my favorite free tools for powering up Dropbox.
6 weeks 5 days ago
- Do you have a domain with email that you want to move over to Gmail and Google Apps? We've got help. Preston Gralla recently made the move himself. Here's how to move the domain and email, complete with "gotchas" you should watch out for, based on Preston's hands-on experience.
6 weeks 6 days ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Android killer phone smackdown: Which is better, the LG G3 or Samsung Galaxy S5?The just-released LG G3 looks to be a killer Android phone. But how does it stack up against the best Android phone on the market, the Samsung Galaxy S5? I've got specs and details.
7 weeks 13 hours ago
- Preston Gralla wrote Don't rejoice about the law unlocking your phone. You still may not be able to do it.Congress just passed a law letting cellphone owners unlock their phones so they can jump from carrier to carrier. But don't rejoice yet. There's a big "gotcha" that may not allow you to do it.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- You don't need to spend a bundle if you want great software for your PC -- in fact, you won't need to spend a penny. Here are five of my favorite free must-haves that any PC owner needs.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- Don't want to be stuck in hotel with Wi-Fi speeds as slow as an ancient 9,600 bps modems? Here's how to check out hotel Wi-Fi speeds before you book so that you'll be able to travel in the fast lane.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 6
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.