Droid 2 phone explodes, bloodies Texas man
A north Texas man reported Thursday that his Motorola Droid 2 smartphone exploded next to his ear as he was ending a call, resulting in a bloodied face and a trip to the hospital.
Fortunately, no hearing loss occurred, according to a report by WFAA-TV in Dallas/Forth Worth.
And yes, the phone was actually still working after the incident.
The man, Aron Embry, said he heard a loud pop from his just two-day-old phone and then felt blood running down his face as a result of the shattered glass covering, according to the report. He received four stitches at the hospital.
Motorola issued a statement that it will reach out to the customer and investigate the incident thoroughly.
Claims of exploding cell phones are rare, though not unheard of. Apple responded to claims of exploding iPhones in Europe last year, pointing fingers at customers. Battery makers have also come under fire for exploding cell phones. Reports have even surfaced of people being killed by exploding smartphones, though some reports have also proven to be exaggerated.
Read more about anti-malware in Network World's Anti-malware section.