10 fascinating facts about Internet porn
Recent YouPorn security breach offers timely opportunity to put 'porn' in a headline
The hack of adult website YouPorn that resulted in the publication of subscriber email addresses on a Swedish web forum has brought the topic of online pornography back into the news.
My ITworld colleague Kevin Fogarty on Wednesday provided some insights into how the data breach occurred -- it actually wasn't a "hack," more of a debug-logging snafu.
The result was that more than 1 million user names and passwords were stolen from YouPorn's chat section.
YouPorn is one of the most-popular adult sites on the Internet, trailing only Xvideos.com and Pornhub and ranking in the top 100. But those three are merely the tip of the online porn iceberg.
Which leads to this list of 10 amazing statistics and facts about online porn. Most of these come from research compiled in 2010 by Online MBA, which also offers the numbers with fun little infographics. Some I just made up.
1. 20% of men admit they've watched online porn while at work.
1a. 80% of men are liars.
2. The porniest state in the Union is also the Mormonest state: Utah, which has the highest online porn subscription rate per thousand home broadband users (5.47). Magic underwear, indeed.
3. The least popular day of the year for looking at online porn is not Christmas or Bastille Day -- both good guesses -- but Thanksgiving. (No doubt, a houseful or relatives would tend to create logistical problems.)
4. 12% of websites -- or nearly 25 million -- are porn sites.
5. $3,075.64 is spent on Internet porn an average of every single second!
5a. Idiots are spending money every single second on something that is widely available for free.
6. Also every second, 28,258 people on the Internet are viewing porn.
6a. Wait a minute, let me close this other browser: 28,25
7. 2.5 billion emails per day -- about 8% of the total -- contain porn. The rest are unwanted spam.
8. The USA kicks butt in porn! Total Internet pornography revenue in the U.S. is $2.84 billion, or 58% of the global total of $4.9 billion.
9. Sunday is the most popular day of the week for
finding God viewing porn.
9a. The other six days are tied for second.
10. The U.S. city with the most searches per capita of the terms "sex," "porn" and "xxx" is -- and someone's going to have to explain this to me -- Elmhurst, Illinois.
10a. Elmhurst native and early 20th-century socialist leader Eugene V. Debs no doubt would roll over in his grave if he knew
about all the fun he was missing what has become of his beloved hometown.