Install Cinnamon on your Linux Mint 13 MATE system
How to add the Cinnamon desktop to your Linux Mint 13 MATE computer
Here's how you can add the Cinnamon desktop to your Linux Mint 13 MATE system. Once you've added Cinnamon, you can use it as your desktop via the sessions menu on the login screen in Linux Mint 13.
1. Click the Menu button.
2. Click the Package Manager button to start Synaptic.
3. Do a search for “Cinnamon” without the quotes.
4. You’ll see a list of packages that can be installed.
5. After installing these packages, log out of your MATE desktop.
6. Click the session icon.
7. Click the Cinnamon option.
8. Click the Change Session button.
9. Type in your user ID and password to login.
10. A menu will pop up giving you the option to use Cinnamon as the default desktop, or to use it just for this session.