- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: September 2011
Areas of Interest:
- riffin answers Re: What's the difference between the Microsoft Surface 2 and the Microsoft Surface Pro 2Apart from price, the Surface 2 is slightly thinner, offers (optionally) 64Gb of storage instead of being limited to 32Gb, has better cameras both in front and back, better battery life, and has a USB 3.0 port instead of USB 2.0. It’s a better tablet all around.
20 hours 34 min ago
- Just released sales figures suggest that Microsoft isn’t really falling behind Sony. According to Gamespot, The XBox One reached 2 million units sold worldwide as of last week, compared with 2.1 million PS4s. Those are pretty darn comparable launch figures.
20 hours 42 min ago
- There is often a lot of irrational optimism immediately following an IPO. Remember Zynga? Yeah, they are not doing so well now, even though their stock value shot up dramatically initially. Twitter is no Zynga, but a P/E ratio of 25:1 is pretty high.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- “Because helium has just one-seventh the density of air, using it reduces the turbulence caused by spinning disks and the heads that constantly move above them to read and write data. That, in turn, means lower power consumption and less waste heat in the data centers where these drives are designed to be used.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- If you upgrade to Skype 5.2+ all you need to do is select “Call” on the menu bar, then “Call Technical Info” and it will show you bandwidth usage in the Call Technical Info window.
12 weeks 2 days ago
- riffin asks Would you upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 if you didn’t have a touchscreen interface?The tile interface makes perfect sense for a touchscreen, but I’m using an “old” standard PC with mouse and keyboard. Other than better looks, is there much that someone using a traditional interface will miss out on if they don’t upgrade to Windows 8?
13 weeks 6 days ago
- Are there any advantages to one versus the other?
19 weeks 5 days ago
- While it might not be a bad idea, I’d still say it’s not vital with a dial up connection. Every time that they log on using dial up, the ISP assigns a different IP address, so it would be pretty hard for someone to gain access. Also, I’m not sure how much value an intermittent zombie spewing out data at 56kbps would be anyway.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- riffin answers Re: Will the acquisition of MakerBot by Stratasys speed consumer market penetration of 3D printing?I think there is a good chance it could accelerate wider adoption, depending on how well the two companies are able to merge their respective expertise.
24 weeks 6 days ago
- The object is anchored to that paragraph of the text. You should be able to see a little anchor symbol next to the paragraph that it is attached to.
24 weeks 6 days ago
- How do you enable hardware acceleration in IE10?
25 weeks 6 days ago
- The writers at Slate have made me laugh a couple of times with their Zynga observations, with Farhad Manjoo referring to it as "this generation's pets.com" and Will Oremus comparing it to a
26 weeks 6 days ago
27 weeks 5 days ago
- It's not intuitive to find it. It's a Gmail Labs offering, so you have to go into your settings, then choose LABS. From there, it is simple, just enable multiple inboxes among the options, and save your changes.
28 weeks 6 days ago
- I would probably choose Lightroom 4. It doesn't do everything that CS6 Extended does, but it has more powerful editing tools than Elements.
31 weeks 5 days ago
- There is probably more acceptance of a resume with more frequent job moves now than in the past, but it still is going to get noticed. If you were looking at a resume and the applicant had left his/her last 5 jobs after a year or so, would you wonder if the same would happen with your company? I would.
32 weeks 6 days ago
- I was using my Compaq laptop literally on my lap, and running a pretty graphics intensive program. After a while, it shut down. I thought about it and realized the way I had been holding it had blocked the vents, and it was pretty warm to the touch. I waiting a little while and restarted it, and everything seems to be fine.
37 weeks 5 days ago
- Are video cards still necessary in PCs, or have they become an unnecessary expense if you don't use your computer to play games?
40 weeks 2 days ago
- OWA is pretty weak when it comes to printing. You can either continue to do it the way you have been, or just open them in MS Office and print from there. I would go with option 2. I don't know why Microsoft doesn't spend some time and effort to improve this.
47 weeks 19 hours ago
- Sure, it's still cheap. A few years ago I wouldn't have, because Apps just wasn't (weren't?) all that polished. Now they are much better. Also, the new "pay" Apps will have actual 24/7 customer service, which is a nice upgrade from 0/0 customer service. Plus, what is the charge now? $5 per user per month or something close.
1 year 20 hours ago
- riffin answers Re: How to make more people know about the shutting down of the famouse eBook store, Fictionwise, by 21, December?I think you did just that. At least there is an option to transfer your account and purchased titles to Nook if you are a Fictionwise user. Things come and go, I guess, and progress marches on.
1 year 2 weeks ago
- I haven't been able to fully charge my battery on my MacBook, and I thought recalibrating the battery might help. I'm not sure of the exact steps though. Anyone know off the top of their head how to do it?
1 year 13 weeks ago
- September 12 at 10:00a.m. Pacific Time...but maybe it's an iPad Mini event!
1 year 13 weeks ago
- Like pretty much any business that has a computer we have a firewall. Someone asked me whether we had thought about an XML firewall. The answer is no, because I don't know what an XML firewall does that isn't already in place. What's different about an XML firewall and is it necessary for a small business?
1 year 18 weeks ago
- A big part of that loss was due to the acquisition of aQuantive. There was a $492 million dollar loss, but that largely sprung from a $6.2 billion write down of aQuantive, so really it was a one time accounting write off of some of the value of MS's online advertising business.
1 year 20 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.