- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- I understand that salted passwords are significantly more secure in the event of a data breach, but how do you actually go about "salting" passwords?
8 weeks 4 days ago
- Whenever I enter my password, I get an error message that says “This Apple ID has been disabled for security reasons.” I think my youngest daughter tried to log in and may have caused this to happen. What do I need to do to get my Apple ID reinstated?
14 weeks 6 days ago
- rtrembley answers Re: Is it possible to develop an information theoretic basis for oblivious transfer? briefly explain.I’m not a cryptologist, so this is above my pay grade. Are you taking a course? You might want to search some of the scholarly articles using Google Scholar (scholar.google.com). You might also want to check out crypto.stackexchange.com where there is a Q&A section, although it is officially in beta.
26 weeks 2 hours ago
- It is when a ton (technical term) of users attempt to log on at the same time in a VDI environment, which causes significant performance degradation. Here is an article that goes deeper into it. http://www.zdnet.com/blog/virtualization/boot-storms-and-how-to-avoid-th...
26 weeks 6 days ago
- Choose the settings charm from the start screen, then choose Change PC Settings>SkyDrive. Click on File Storage on the left side of the menu and you should see “SkyDrive Storage” displayed on the rights, along with an option to purchase more space, if you need it.
29 weeks 3 days ago
- I’m going to visit relatives in a couple of weeks, and the only internet connection that they have is dial-up. It’s not their fault, they are in the middle of nowhere. Obviously I won’t be spending much time online, but is it possible to at least connect with a modern Macbook?
34 weeks 1 day ago
- rtrembley answers Re: I was on my companies wireless network and one of my friends sent me inappropriate images on my whatsapp.You should be fine. Whatsapp is fully encrypted, so your employer shouldn’t be able to see the content.
43 weeks 5 days ago
- rtrembley answers Re: Will Google’s decision to banish browser plug-ins for Chrome kill Google Talk?I doubt it, but you never know. Most likely, the services will just be changed to use web standard. I just cannot see Google killing services that are used by nearly 10% of Chrome users such as Talk and Google Earth. Google Earth in particular is a bit of flagship offering from the company, so it’s safe.
43 weeks 5 days ago
- My son was using my Windows 8 laptop and managed to set it to high contrast mode. When I changed the settings in ease of access, it stayed in high contrast mode. Anyone ran into this and figured out how to fix it?
45 weeks 5 days ago
- rtrembley asks Will the Ubuntu Edge smartphone still be made since it did not meet its crowdfunding goal?I like the idea of an Ubuntu phone, but they fell waaaaaaay short of their $32 million goal, raising “only” $12.8 million, As I understand it, with Kickstarter, if you don’t meet your goal, you get nothing, so I assume Canonical got zilch. Will they still make the Edge anyway?
48 weeks 3 days ago
- I just got my daughter a new Nexus 7 for her birthday and she was playing around with GPS while we were driving around today. Everything worked fine at first, but after a few minutes, it started giving the searching for GPS message and we couldn’t get it to lock back on.
50 weeks 2 days ago
- One important difference is the Fitbit is water resistant, while the Fuelband is not. You probably wouldn’t want to go diving or anything wearing the Fitbit, since I think it is only ok down to 10m, but it should be safer when you are swimming at the pool or other hanging out at the beach.
1 year 5 weeks ago
- I know it’s still early, and iOS 7 may see some changes before its public release, but what did you think? Too predictable, very innovative, or somewhere in between? And how about those icons?
1 year 6 weeks ago
- I keep getting error 8024800A when I try to update Windows 7. I'm not sure what's causing it, never had a problem before. Has anyone experienced this error?
1 year 10 weeks ago
- I've been playing with my rooted Nexus 7 tablet, and it looks like I played a little too much and locked it up. How do you reboot into recovery? I was using Quick Boot, but I can't get to it because it is stuck on the splash screen. Anyone know the hardware key combination?
1 year 13 weeks ago
- I can think of one reason most people would want a Facebook phone. Hint - It starts with “F” and ends with “ree.” I’m sure there is a market segment that wants Facebook even more deeply embedded in their daily lives, but I can only think of one person I know who might be interested in that.
1 year 16 weeks ago
- One thing that you might want to consider is one of the Belkin or Logitech cases that doubles as a keyboard for your iPad. It would be a lot cheaper than purchasing a new Chromebook, even the cheapest version, and there really wouldn't be much functional difference other than some additional ports on the Chromebook.
1 year 17 weeks ago
- Thunderbolt is much faster than even USB 3.0, 20Gbps bidirectional, 40Gbps one way for Thunderbolt vs. 5Gbps bidirectional for USB 3.0. I haven't seen Thunderbolt in many PCs to this point though. A few Ivy Bridge laptops around my office have Thunderbolt ports, that's about it. Newer Macs do have them.
1 year 17 weeks ago
- I think the first question that should be asked is whether work is getting done appropriately. Are people meeting their deadlines? Is their work product of good quality? If the answer is no, then you have to address it, establish performance expectations, and hold people to them.
1 year 22 weeks ago
- The way Java is constructed includes what they call the "Security Manager", which is intended to restrict applications to running in the Java sandbox.
1 year 26 weeks ago
- I think you are viewing this through the lens of the workplace. In that situation, I agree with your reservations, but as Christopher said, it would actually be pretty handy when you are hanging at the homestead.
1 year 27 weeks ago
- Gamification is something I've been hearing a lot about for the past year or so, but I don't really get how that applies to websites. Well, except for a website with games on it, I suppose. When people are talking about gamifying a website, what exactly do they mean? How do you gamify a website?
1 year 36 weeks ago
- We are putting in a small network at one of our satellite offices, and I am curious if it is worth buying Cat6 cable. We have at least a couple of hundred feet of Cat5e sitting unused. Would you just use up the Cat5e cable, or is it worth spending the money on the Cat6?
1 year 39 weeks ago
- It may differ, but I when I have a WiFi connection, I use a VoIP app with my smartphone to avoid using up my voice minutes, and as long as I have around 2Mbps it works pretty well. Come to think of it, that's download speed, it still works ok if the upload speed is slower than that, at around 1Mbps.
1 year 39 weeks ago
- rtrembley answers Re: What happens when the archive log directory becomes full in Oracle Database 10g?After the directory becomes full, the next time database tries to write an archive log it will suspend database activity, and will stay suspended until there is enough space available for a new file.
1 year 42 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.