- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- I’m going to visit relatives in a couple of weeks, and the only internet connection that they have is dial-up. It’s not their fault, they are in the middle of nowhere. Obviously I won’t be spending much time online, but is it possible to at least connect with a modern Macbook?
1 week 5 days ago
- rtrembley answers Re: I was on my companies wireless network and one of my friends sent me inappropriate images on my whatsapp.You should be fine. Whatsapp is fully encrypted, so your employer shouldn’t be able to see the content.
11 weeks 1 day ago
- rtrembley answers Re: Will Google’s decision to banish browser plug-ins for Chrome kill Google Talk?I doubt it, but you never know. Most likely, the services will just be changed to use web standard. I just cannot see Google killing services that are used by nearly 10% of Chrome users such as Talk and Google Earth. Google Earth in particular is a bit of flagship offering from the company, so it’s safe.
11 weeks 1 day ago
- My son was using my Windows 8 laptop and managed to set it to high contrast mode. When I changed the settings in ease of access, it stayed in high contrast mode. Anyone ran into this and figured out how to fix it?
13 weeks 2 days ago
- rtrembley asks Will the Ubuntu Edge smartphone still be made since it did not meet its crowdfunding goal?I like the idea of an Ubuntu phone, but they fell waaaaaaay short of their $32 million goal, raising “only” $12.8 million, As I understand it, with Kickstarter, if you don’t meet your goal, you get nothing, so I assume Canonical got zilch. Will they still make the Edge anyway?
16 weeks 14 hours ago
- I just got my daughter a new Nexus 7 for her birthday and she was playing around with GPS while we were driving around today. Everything worked fine at first, but after a few minutes, it started giving the searching for GPS message and we couldn’t get it to lock back on.
17 weeks 6 days ago
- One important difference is the Fitbit is water resistant, while the Fuelband is not. You probably wouldn’t want to go diving or anything wearing the Fitbit, since I think it is only ok down to 10m, but it should be safer when you are swimming at the pool or other hanging out at the beach.
25 weeks 2 days ago
- I know it’s still early, and iOS 7 may see some changes before its public release, but what did you think? Too predictable, very innovative, or somewhere in between? And how about those icons?
25 weeks 6 days ago
- I keep getting error 8024800A when I try to update Windows 7. I'm not sure what's causing it, never had a problem before. Has anyone experienced this error?
30 weeks 3 days ago
- I've been playing with my rooted Nexus 7 tablet, and it looks like I played a little too much and locked it up. How do you reboot into recovery? I was using Quick Boot, but I can't get to it because it is stuck on the splash screen. Anyone know the hardware key combination?
32 weeks 6 days ago
- I can think of one reason most people would want a Facebook phone. Hint - It starts with “F” and ends with “ree.” I’m sure there is a market segment that wants Facebook even more deeply embedded in their daily lives, but I can only think of one person I know who might be interested in that.
36 weeks 2 days ago
- One thing that you might want to consider is one of the Belkin or Logitech cases that doubles as a keyboard for your iPad. It would be a lot cheaper than purchasing a new Chromebook, even the cheapest version, and there really wouldn't be much functional difference other than some additional ports on the Chromebook.
37 weeks 17 hours ago
- Thunderbolt is much faster than even USB 3.0, 20Gbps bidirectional, 40Gbps one way for Thunderbolt vs. 5Gbps bidirectional for USB 3.0. I haven't seen Thunderbolt in many PCs to this point though. A few Ivy Bridge laptops around my office have Thunderbolt ports, that's about it. Newer Macs do have them.
37 weeks 2 days ago
- I think the first question that should be asked is whether work is getting done appropriately. Are people meeting their deadlines? Is their work product of good quality? If the answer is no, then you have to address it, establish performance expectations, and hold people to them.
42 weeks 2 days ago
- The way Java is constructed includes what they call the "Security Manager", which is intended to restrict applications to running in the Java sandbox.
46 weeks 1 day ago
- I think you are viewing this through the lens of the workplace. In that situation, I agree with your reservations, but as Christopher said, it would actually be pretty handy when you are hanging at the homestead.
47 weeks 2 days ago
- Gamification is something I've been hearing a lot about for the past year or so, but I don't really get how that applies to websites. Well, except for a website with games on it, I suppose. When people are talking about gamifying a website, what exactly do they mean? How do you gamify a website?
1 year 4 weeks ago
- We are putting in a small network at one of our satellite offices, and I am curious if it is worth buying Cat6 cable. We have at least a couple of hundred feet of Cat5e sitting unused. Would you just use up the Cat5e cable, or is it worth spending the money on the Cat6?
1 year 7 weeks ago
- It may differ, but I when I have a WiFi connection, I use a VoIP app with my smartphone to avoid using up my voice minutes, and as long as I have around 2Mbps it works pretty well. Come to think of it, that's download speed, it still works ok if the upload speed is slower than that, at around 1Mbps.
1 year 7 weeks ago
- rtrembley answers Re: What happens when the archive log directory becomes full in Oracle Database 10g?After the directory becomes full, the next time database tries to write an archive log it will suspend database activity, and will stay suspended until there is enough space available for a new file.
1 year 9 weeks ago
- I know that reformatting and deleting partitions doesn't really do the trick. Is there an straightforward way to make sure the data can't be recovered before I get rid of old hard drives?
1 year 15 weeks ago
- Apple got a lot of press this week for essentially giving a "hacker" (I hesitate to call it actual hacking, it was more like clever thevery) access to Wired's Mat Honan's iCloud account.
1 year 17 weeks ago
- Apple dropped its green EPEAT environmental standard, and claimed that they use their own environmental standards that are stricter than those of EPEAT. Well, that's convenient, and may even be true, but if so why not also meet the EPEAT standard?
1 year 22 weeks ago
- rtrembley asks What could cause persistent client disconnects while trying to run Hadoop Zookeeper through a cloud provider?We are trying to set up Zookeeper in a virtual environment through our cloud provider. On a regular basis we are getting client disconnects. Is there a common cause for these disconnects to keep happening?
1 year 28 weeks ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.