- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2011
Areas of Interest:
- A Chromebook doesn't need more than 16Gb of onboard storage, but a user might want more than that. If you're comfortable with the cloud, however, the Chromebook is a good device at a good price.
41 weeks 4 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: What are symptoms that indicate my PC is infected with malware or viruses?Slow performance certainly is one of them. Others include when your computer freezes, mystery icons show up on your desktop, you get messages about corrupted files, and you are unable to access some maintenance and repair tools.
41 weeks 6 days ago
- Based on this Apple support page, it sounds like you'll need the previous owner to log in (or give you their log-in info) so he or she can remove the device from their account. This appears to be the case even if the device's contents have been erased.
42 weeks 11 hours ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: How do you feel about Google forcing YouTube commenters to have a Google+ account?I'm a little conflicted too, but I'd say the bottom line is that Google has the right to require whatever it believes is necessary from commenters. It's not exactly a First Amendment issue, and the only ones who will really suffer are the anonymous trolls.
42 weeks 23 hours ago
- As Jim notes below, yes, the Nexus 7 will get KitKat over the next few weeks. But if you use Android Device Manager, you should check to make sure it isn't disabled after the download.
42 weeks 4 days ago
- I'm sure you can learn to use Swype with enough practice, though I wouldn't know from personal experience since I gave up in about two minutes. But your lunch partner proved it's possible to be a skilled Swyper. And a lot of folks who wrote reviews of Swype on Google Play love it.
42 weeks 6 days ago
- There were, but a new software update for iOS 7 now gives the Pebble access to all apps notifications, as this article reports.
42 weeks 6 days ago
- I think it's too early to tell. Here's what Search Engine Watch says:
43 weeks 6 days ago
- It is hard to tell the difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S as the hardware specs are almost identical. Almost.
44 weeks 10 hours ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Will Apple making Mac OS X Maverick available for free force Microsoft to do the same with Windows?Microsoft has had problems adjusting to the modern computing world, clinging to its Windows OS desktop empire and blowing mobile (up to now).
44 weeks 4 days ago
- Here's an answer from Google's Chrome Forum: You have to add the -incognito switch to the shortcut Target box, and it will open Chrome in incognito mode.
44 weeks 5 days ago
- This freeware promises to be able to recover your lost wifi password. I haven't tried it, but it gets glowing reviews from many readers. Otherwise, resetting the router to the factory settings should solve the problem, I would think.
44 weeks 6 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Would it still make sense to buy a PS3 or X360 with the new generation machines just around the corner?I think you will have buyer's remorse if you purchase a Playstation 3 at this point in time. Buying technology that feels almost immediately outdated is never a good feeling. A little more patience will pay off.
45 weeks 1 day ago
- It's definitely worth upgrading to Windows 8.1, according to PC World's Mark Hachman:
45 weeks 5 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: What is the advantage of a 120Hz refresh rate versus a 60Hz refresh rate for a display?A faster refresh rate doesn't really matter, according to this
46 weeks 12 hours ago
- It is realistic to expect cost savings through virtualization, particularly hardware and energy expenditures. But there also are other benefits. Among them are simplified IT management, improved business continuity and disaster recovery, and faster response time.
46 weeks 4 days ago
- This site offers a good summary of peer-to-peer advantages and disadvantages. The latter include: * Potential slowdowns of computers used by multiple people * No central back-up for files and folders
47 weeks 12 hours ago
- It's a good question. This article quotes a Samsung executive who says flexible form factors "will really begin to change how people interact with their devices, opening up new lifestyle possibilities ...
47 weeks 12 hours ago
- If you can't move apps to the SD card, the only thing I can think of is that you put as many files as you can on the SD card or in the cloud. Can you download Android 4.3? If so, maybe that would solve the problem.
47 weeks 1 day ago
- From Wikipedia:
47 weeks 4 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Why does the business side zone-out when they hear the term "Big Data"?Blackdog pretty much nails it: Business executives need technology explained in terms they understand. For them it's all about how it can impact the business. If you can show them how data analytics can identify ways to cut costs or shed new insights on their customers, they're more likely to buy in.
47 weeks 6 days ago
- NASA will equip astronauts on the International Space Station with their very own 3D printer sometime next year.
48 weeks 1 day ago
- The difference is level of dependency on your Android device. Miracast requires your Android device to be active while in use (via the Miracast dongle). Chromecast only needs your Android device during initial set-up, after which it will be able to play the content desired no matter what your device is doing.
48 weeks 4 days ago
- Christopher Nerney wrote Study credits conservation for comeback of some endangered European speciesBeing an endangered species isn't always a one-way ticket to extinction.
48 weeks 5 days ago
- Hopefully we can rule out the NSA. :) Interestingly, there's an entire website devoted to hard drive clicking sounds. It lists more than a dozen possible reasons, along with links to information for each possibility. Good luck with it.
48 weeks 5 days ago