June 30, 2011, 1:00 PM — We've heard more than we want to about LulzSec's motive for attacking Sony (entertainment and indignation).
Now Sony's CEO is pinning motives to not only LulzSec, but the long but unnamed list of others that cracked its sites during two horrific months this spring.
Until now Sony's public statements have been limited to apologies and promises it had fixed all its security problems (announcements followed within a day or so byanother major breach using the same methods), is spinning the whole debacle with its explanation of why it was targeted in the first place.
Sony was attacked by thugs and miscreants because it was trying to be responsible to its shareholders by suing anyone who tried to run any software on or do anything with a PlayStation 3 that Sony had not previously approved, and the scum of the Internet didn't like that.
That's a paraphrase, of course, but it is essentially the story Sony Chairman and CEO Sir Howard Stringer told attendees at a shareholders meeting Tuesday.
"We believe that we first became the subject of attack because we tried to protect our IP (intellectual property), our content, in this case video games," Sir Howard said at the meeting Tuesday in Tokyo.
In January, Sony sued George Hotz,a U.S-based hacker known as "Geohot" who also jailbroke the iPhone. Hotz was one of several individuals and groups of customers to crack security on the PS3so they could mod it to their own liking. Hotz incurred Sony's wrath by posting easy-to-follow instructions online.
Stringer said that strong stand against piracy and in defense of intellectual property was the reason evildoers attacked the company.
He didn't mention the consistently shoddy security that allowed the attacks to succeed not once, but 18 times.