- MIT hackers:
- made the MIT president's office disappear in 1990;
- turned the tallest building on campus into the world's largest live stereo audio meter in 1993, to measure the volume of the annual July 4 Boston Pops concert across the river;
- put what looked a lotlike a real campus police cruiser on top of one of the iconic Great Dome in 1994 (with flashing lights, a dummy dressed as a campus cop, a box of donuts, a Campus Police ticket for parking without a permit for the location and a license plate reading IHTFP );
- turned the Great Dome into R2-D2 in 1999;
- landed Dr. Who's TARDIS time-and-spaceship from MIT to CalTech, Berkeley and back again for two different appearances on or near the Great Dome;
- allowed Daleks to respond by appearing atop MIT's Stata Center;
- landed a lunar module atop the Great Dome;
- re-tinted the subway's Red Line as the Infrared Line;
- changed MIT's home page April 1, 1998 to announce Disney was buying MIT;
- recruited freshmen for the Department of Alchemy in 1992;
- caused Middle Earth to overlap with Cambridge, twice, as the One Ring ruled the Great Dome, and the Eye of Sauron came to have a look.
Read more of Kevin Fogarty's CoreIT blog and follow the latest IT news at ITworld. Follow Kevin on Twitter at @KevinFogarty. For the latest IT news, analysis and how-tos, follow ITworld on Twitter and Facebook.
Hacks.mit.edu/Erik Nygren via PCWorld