- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- More and more for Windows users, there's no OS like an old OS.
1 week 4 days ago
- sjvn wrote Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: You can keep using XP for another year, but do you really want to?While clinging to the 11-year-old OS after Microsoft issues its last security patch in April is defensible, the security risks are going to keep mounting.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- Microsoft appears to be backing off on its biggest user interface fiasco since Microsoft Bob: In the Windows 8.1 update, the desktop rather than Metro reportedly will be the default interface.
5 weeks 12 min ago
- Want to run Debian or Ubuntu on your Chromebook? With Crouton, you can do that.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- Yes, Windows 8's been a failure. It's been worse than Vista. But is the solution really to push out a new operating system in double-quick time?
7 weeks 1 day ago
- What went wrong? The answer could keep your IT team from a similar design fiasco.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- Could the Chromebook knock out Windows on the desktop? Don't bet against it.
9 weeks 1 day ago
- Even as he heads to the door, Ballmer is changing how Microsoft will run for years to come.
13 weeks 4 days ago
- The right Linux server for your business just might be the one that offers your staff the level of support they need.
25 weeks 3 days ago
- There are literally hundreds of Linux desktop distributions. Here's how to find one that's right for you.
28 weeks 1 day ago
- It used to be easy to run Linux on any PC. That changed with Windows 8 and Secure Boot, but it's still doable. Here's how...
30 weeks 2 hours ago
- The NSA doesn't have to intercept and read all your messages to know what you're doing -- and neither do many Internet businesses.
32 weeks 2 hours ago
- Some people are deeply upset about the latest incursions into our privacy. But as a society, we don't seem to care all that much.
35 weeks 4 days ago
- Some people are having fits about Google Glass. True, it will change how we think about privacy in public places, but such rethinking started years ago.
41 weeks 4 days ago
- Get this: The CIA sees the cloud as being more secure than conventional IT.
45 weeks 4 days ago
- Not every job is suitable for telecommuting. But for those that are, there are multiple benefits.
49 weeks 4 days ago
- Microsoft needs to make up its mind whether it wants to stay a software company or if it's really serious about being a hardware power as well.
1 year 1 week ago
- We're heading to a new era of platform lock-in that extends to vendors' Internet services.
1 year 7 weeks ago
- We seem to have entered an age of computing that I didn't see coming: the age of the terrible user interface. Windows 8 is leading the charge with not one, but two awful interfaces.
1 year 13 weeks ago
- I'm 56. I'm not a grandfather -- not yet anyway -- but I'm old enough to be one. I first used the Internet in the '70s. My first programming language was IBM 360 Assembler. My first operating system was the IBM mainframe's OS/360.
1 year 17 weeks ago
- It's been reported -- and Intel isn't denying it -- that Intel CEO Paul Otellini told his Taiwanese staff that Microsoft's Windows 8 operating system is being released before it's fully ready.
1 year 21 weeks ago
- Got a book in Amazon's AZW format and want to read it on your Barnes & Noble Nook? There's an app for that.
1 year 24 weeks ago
- Want to copy videos to your media server? With HandBrake, it's surprisingly easy.
1 year 27 weeks ago
- Do you remember April 2010? That was when the tablet market sprang to life.
1 year 29 weeks ago
- [chunklet] flickr/MartialArtsNomad.com
1 year 31 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.