- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- The patent wars keep going and going and we keep paying and paying.
1 week 4 hours ago
- HP claims that its light-based, next-generation Machine will do everything except scrub the kitchen sink. But given HP's recent innovation track record, why should we believe any of it?
9 weeks 1 day ago
- It's looking like Microsoft won't be bringing back the Start menu until 2015. Way to put the customer first, Microsoft!
10 weeks 1 day ago
- For small and home offices, power-line networking may be just what you need. It's easy and has far less latency than Wi-Fi typically does.
12 weeks 2 days ago
- After trying Update 1 for the last few weeks, the best I can say for it is that it sucks less.
13 weeks 4 days ago
- Containers, a different, lightweight take on virtualization, has finally gone mainstream with Linux Containers (LXC) and Docker -- and that spells big changes for server farms, data centers, and the cloud.
16 weeks 2 days ago
- For most people, XP patches will be unobtainable through legitimate channels. Sounds like a market to me.
17 weeks 23 hours ago
- OSs will still matter to developers and engineers, but ordinary users are going to be more and more in the cloud, where their OS doesn't matter at all.
21 weeks 4 days ago
- More and more for Windows users, there's no OS like an old OS.
25 weeks 4 days ago
- sjvn wrote Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols: You can keep using XP for another year, but do you really want to?While clinging to the 11-year-old OS after Microsoft issues its last security patch in April is defensible, the security risks are going to keep mounting.
26 weeks 3 days ago
- Microsoft appears to be backing off on its biggest user interface fiasco since Microsoft Bob: In the Windows 8.1 update, the desktop rather than Metro reportedly will be the default interface.
29 weeks 32 min ago
- Want to run Debian or Ubuntu on your Chromebook? With Crouton, you can do that.
29 weeks 4 days ago
- Yes, Windows 8's been a failure. It's been worse than Vista. But is the solution really to push out a new operating system in double-quick time?
31 weeks 1 day ago
- What went wrong? The answer could keep your IT team from a similar design fiasco.
31 weeks 4 days ago
- Could the Chromebook knock out Windows on the desktop? Don't bet against it.
33 weeks 1 day ago
- Even as he heads to the door, Ballmer is changing how Microsoft will run for years to come.
37 weeks 4 days ago
- The right Linux server for your business just might be the one that offers your staff the level of support they need.
49 weeks 3 days ago
- There are literally hundreds of Linux desktop distributions. Here's how to find one that's right for you.
1 year 8 hours ago
- It used to be easy to run Linux on any PC. That changed with Windows 8 and Secure Boot, but it's still doable. Here's how...
1 year 1 week ago
- The NSA doesn't have to intercept and read all your messages to know what you're doing -- and neither do many Internet businesses.
1 year 3 weeks ago
- Some people are deeply upset about the latest incursions into our privacy. But as a society, we don't seem to care all that much.
1 year 7 weeks ago
- Some people are having fits about Google Glass. True, it will change how we think about privacy in public places, but such rethinking started years ago.
1 year 13 weeks ago
- Get this: The CIA sees the cloud as being more secure than conventional IT.
1 year 17 weeks ago
- Not every job is suitable for telecommuting. But for those that are, there are multiple benefits.
1 year 21 weeks ago
- Microsoft needs to make up its mind whether it wants to stay a software company or if it's really serious about being a hardware power as well.
1 year 25 weeks ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.