- Recognize there is no quick formula; building a community takes time
- Expect growing pains, such as when Drupal's Web site experienced a server failure in 2005
- Build an architecture for evolution and allow people to collaborate
- Provide the right tools, such as forums, mailing lists, and wikis
- Build a commercial ecosystem, rather than just a developer ecosystem
- Leadership is more important than management -- let participants do what they want
This article, "Drupal 7 nears release candidate stage," was originally published at InfoWorld.com. Follow the latest developments in business technology news and get a digest of the key stories each day in the InfoWorld Daily newsletter.
Read more about applications in InfoWorld's Applications Channel.