August 01, 2011, 1:27 PM — Ubuntu's Unity desktop environment has caused lots of controversy and thrown many Ubuntu users for a loop. While it has its pluses and minuses to be sure, there's a lot you can do to customize Unity to suit your own tastes.
Here are five tips to help you get the most out of Unity.
1. Unity autohide - Press the Windows key and search for compiz. Click the CompizConfig settings manager icon and search for "ubuntu Unity Plugin. Set the "hide launcher" option on "autohide."
2. Small icons for Unity - Press the Windows key and search for Compiz. Click the settings manager icon and search for "ubuntuy unity plugin." Go to the experimental tab and move the "launcher icon size" to whatever size pleases you.
3. Make the Unity panel transparent - Press the Windows key and search for "compiz." Click the settings manager icon and search for "ubuntu unity plugin." Go to the experimental tab and change the "panel opacity" slider to whatever setting you prefer.
4. Unity panel system tray icons for all apps - Install the dconf-edition. Click the dconf-editor icon then go to desktop, then unity, then panel. Click the value lione on the systray-whitelist option and replace everything on that line with "all." Log out and then log back into your system.
5. Reorder Unity's launchers - Hold the left mouse click on the shortcut you want to change and drag it out of the launcher. Then put it wherever you want.
Ubuntu 11.04 Unity Tips and Tricks | Softpedia