June 25, 2012, 12:44 PM — Here's how you can easily change your notification preferences in OS X Mountain Lion.
1. Go to System Preferences.
2. Click on the Notifications icon.
3. You'll see a list of apps on the left side of the Notifications menu.
4. Click the app that you want to edit.
5. You can choose from the following alert styles:
6. You will also see the following checkboxes:
Show in Notification Center
Badge app icon
Play sound when receiving notifications
7. Check or uncheck the boxes to enable or disable options.
8. The "Show in Notification Center" checkbox also has a drop down menu that lets you choose the number of recent items. You can choose the following options:
1 Recent Item
5 Recent Items
10 Recent Items
20 Recent Items
9. You also have the option of using the drop down box at the bottom of the Notifications menu to sort Notification Center manually or by time.
OS X Mountain Lion's notification options make it very easy and fast to customize notifications for all of your applications in Notification Center.