This new model of IT is based on two major parts: applications and a unified infrastructure, according to slides accompanying his presentation. Applications will include those developed by third parties as well as traditional business processes and enterprise applications, applications for vertical markets and Cisco video and collaboration platforms.
The unified Cisco infrastructure the applications will ride on includes unified data centers, core networking, access networks and security.
In his presentation Chambers addressed the company's future under the banner "Why We Will Win."
- Cisco is at the center of a world moving to IP
- A transition is ongoing toward network-based IT
- The combination of Cisco ASICs, hardware, software and services yield required intelligent IP networks
- Cisco unifies networking, computing and storage
- Cisco's culture, track record, size, installed base, financial stability and innovation are all strengths.
Read more about lan and wan in Network World's LAN & WAN section.