- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Stephen Lawson is a senior U.S. correspondent at IDG News Service and reports on networking (routers, switches, hubs, home networking.)
Areas of Interest: Networking
- Intel has beefed up its networking silicon in a bid to capture a bigger share of enterprise, carrier and cloud-provider networks for its chip architecture.
12 hours 14 min ago
- Faster SANs are on the horizon as the next Fibre Channel specification, calling for 32G bps (bits per second), nears publication.
1 day 10 hours ago
- Huawei Technologies remains the world's biggest vendor of cellular networks despite being effectively locked out of the huge U.S. LTE market.
2 days 11 hours ago
- A legal war between EMC and flash startup Pure Storage has escalated to charges of patent infringement and illegally obtaining a storage array to mine it for intellectual property.
1 week 12 hours ago
- Symantec plans to close down its Backup Exec.cloud service, saying it lacks mobile and content-sharing features and wouldn't be the right platform for delivering them.
1 week 1 day ago
- BlackBerry's chief operating, marketing and financial officers are leaving as recently appointed CEO John Chen makes his mark on the struggling mobile vendor.
1 week 2 days ago
- A Chinese regulator is investigating mobile chip maker Qualcomm in connection with the Chinese Anti-Monopoly Law, Qualcomm said on Monday.
1 week 2 days ago
- Anyone who dreads hearing one end of a loud phone call all the way from Anchorage to Miami, take heart: The plan to allow cellphones on planes could fail in more ways than an overbooked flight at a snowbound airport on Christmas Eve.
1 week 5 days ago
- The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will consider letting passengers use cellular services on airplanes, breaking with a ban that has been in place for years.
1 week 6 days ago
- Mobile device chips coming next year from Qualcomm will be able to use wide spectrum bands that carriers are beginning to patch together with new technology, but its lofty performance claims need to be taken with a grain of salt.
2 weeks 8 hours ago
- NetApp is upgrading its lineup of dedicated storage systems, rolling out a faster all-flash array and improved platforms for branch offices and large enterprises.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- A brief YouTube outage on Monday was the one of the biggest recent glitches for the popular video site, according to a company that uses complaints on Twitter and other sources to measure the impact of online outages.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- Google and Facebook have joined the Dynamic Spectrum Alliance, an international group advocating access to unused spectrum for broadband networks based on so-called "white spaces" technology.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- The newly seated chairman of the U.S. Federal Communications Commission has told mobile operators to voluntarily ease up on cellphone unlocking or risk being forced to do so.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- The ISIS Mobile Wallet went live on Thursday, bringing NFC-powered shopping to consumers across the U.S. through a venture backed by three of the nation's top four carriers.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- EMC's long-awaited entry into all-flash storage arrays will finally get a full-fledged rollout next week, possibly setting the terms for mastery of the fledgling product category along the way.
3 weeks 5 hours ago
- Cisco Systems stunned Wall Street on Wednesday with a gloomy financial forecast it blamed on falling demand in developing countries and transitions in some of its product lines.
3 weeks 9 hours ago
- Cisco Systems missed its revenue forecast and logged a year-over-year profit decline in its fiscal first quarter.
3 weeks 12 hours ago
- Mobile connected devices may make life easier for consumers in the long run, but today they present a bundle of user headaches, a panel of industry leaders said Tuesday.
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Size matters in the unified communications business, according to Mitel Networks and Aastra Technologies, two Canadian vendors that plan to merge early next year.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- Passengers in flight could make voice calls and exchange text messages using a new service from Gogo, but that doesn't mean your seatmate will necessarily be able to blab all through your next flight.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- AT&T supplies information on international calls that travel over its network, including ones that start or end in the U.S., under a voluntary contract with the U.S. Central Intelligence Agency, The New York Times reported Thursday.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- Karma, the startup that offers pay-as-you-go mobile data through a portable Wi-Fi hotspot, will catch up with the 4G world next year by moving to LTE.
4 weeks 9 hours ago
- A high-frequency supplement to Wi-Fi that's several times faster than most of what's available now appears headed for enterprises through a partnership between Cisco Systems and a specialist in the technology.
4 weeks 18 hours ago
- EMC will give users of its Syncplicity file-sharing and synchronization service more control over how their data can be accessed and used, including the ability to make files "time out" on a certain date wherever they may be stored.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 18
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.