- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Stephen Lawson is a senior U.S. correspondent at IDG News Service and reports on networking (routers, switches, hubs, home networking.)
Areas of Interest: Networking
- Wireless broadband subscriptions now outnumber people in seven countries as consumers continue to snap up smartphones and tablets, according to a new report.
21 hours 12 min ago
- In its quest to help enterprises seek out and neutralize all threats to their Wi-Fi networks, AirMagnet is now looking to the skies.
1 day 18 hours ago
- Google may be among the hopefuls vying to turn the New York City phone booths of the past into "communication points" of the future with free Wi-Fi and cellphone charging.
1 day 21 hours ago
- A breakthrough by researchers at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology could change the way Web and mobile apps are written and help companies like Facebook keep the cat videos coming.
4 days 23 hours ago
- Stephen Lawson wrote Net neutrality a key battleground in growing fight over encryption, activists sayPlans to favor some Internet packets over others threaten consumers' hard-won right to use encryption, a digital privacy advocate says.
5 days 2 hours ago
- Microsoft reportedly will announce the biggest round of layoffs in its history on Thursday as massive changes wrought by new CEO Satya Nadella start to take hold at the struggling IT giant.
6 days 20 hours ago
- Microsoft Azure just became the next cloud connection for NetApp Private Storage, which can already link enterprise storage to Amazon Web Services.
1 week 18 hours ago
- Google's Nest subsidiary and heavy hitters including Samsung Electronics and Arm Holdings are launching the latest bid to make sensors, cameras, appliances and other devices in homes easily talk to each other.
1 week 1 day ago
- Storage has always affected how fast software runs, but IT shops now have more tools they can bring to bear on the problem.
1 week 1 day ago
- Microsoft plans to enhance its Azure cloud backup and recovery by integrating technology from InMage, a business continuity vendor it just acquired.
1 week 5 days ago
- The most successful wearable devices will be ones that can work without a phone, and AT&T will have at least one of them by the end of this year, the man who manages the carrier's partnerships said.
2 weeks 17 hours ago
- EMC's TwinStrata acquisition announced on Tuesday is just part of a bigger move to keep its venerable VMax storage platform up to date with large enterprises as they enter the cloud era.
2 weeks 22 hours ago
- Avaya must give its customers access to maintenance software for some enterprise phone switches so they can service the systems themselves or hire a third party to work on them, a federal judge has ruled.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- San Francisco and San Jose are now at the cutting edge of another tech trend, and one that has nothing to do with smartwatches or social-media startups -- not directly, at least.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- The German government is reportedly dropping Verizon Communications as a service provider because of worries about U.S. spying.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Dell plans to expand its storage lineup with a series of midsized SAN arrays and a portfolio of software-defined storage systems, furthering two prominent industry trends.
4 weeks 22 hours ago
- For the Internet of Things, collecting data is only half the battle, and public transit agencies know that as well as anyone.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- U.S. schools could get a cool billion to set up Wi-Fi networks to connect more than 10 million more students by the 2015-2016 school year under a new FCC proposal.
4 weeks 4 days ago
- A Chinese electronics vendor accused of selling signal jammers to U.S. consumers could end up leading the market in one dubious measure: the largest fine ever imposed by the Federal Communications Commission.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Revelations about U.S. National Security Agency snooping have made some buyers outside the U.S. think twice about public clouds, placing a drag on one of the world's biggest technology trends, the head of Hewlett-Packard's enterprise group said.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Facebook has taken networking into its own hands, building a switch to link servers inside its data centers, and wants to make the platform available to others.
5 weeks 40 min ago
- Growing demand for flash continues to rock enterprise storage, with NetApp becoming the latest big vendor to shape a new product around the high-speed media.
5 weeks 21 hours ago
- The brake pedal in your car probably isn't attached to the brakes. But don't worry, the pedal knows how to tell the brakes that you've pressed it. And now there's a new way to secure the messages they send each other.
5 weeks 1 day ago
- Global gadget giant Samsung Electronics uses techniques from the so-called "maker" community of hobbyists to develop products at a Silicon Valley Internet of Things lab.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- A federal judge's order on Friday could force the U.S. government to reveal more information about its widespread collection of citizens' phone records.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- 1 of 24
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.