- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- As the price of 3D printers for home use continue to decrease, I am thinking of getting one. I don’t really have any serious need for it, but I would like to learn more about 3D printing. Plus, to be honest, I’d like to have a new “toy” to play around with.
1 week 17 hours ago
- When using Dictation to enter text on a Mac by speaking, what do you need to say to get it to type parenthesis (like the ones around this phrase)?
2 weeks 6 days ago
- My current Android phone is “NFC capable,” but there really isn’t anything that offers guidance on what I can do with that or how to use it. I know that some places use NFC for “tap to pay” but as far as I know there aren’t any stores that use that around me. Other than that, what can NFC be used to do?
3 weeks 6 days ago
- There have been indications that Google will be replacing Dalvik with ART in the next version of Android. What difference will this make to developers and consumers? Will there be noticable benefits?
4 weeks 1 day ago
- It looks like all three of the major mobile universes - Apple, Microsoft, and Google - are going to have kill switches incorporated in their designs. Finally. Apple already rolled it out, to their credit, with iOS 7. How much of an impact on theft will this have?
4 weeks 5 days ago
- I know that you can root an Android device and install the version of Android OS that you want. For me, after spending nearly a year using a Nexus 7, that preferred version is plain old Android. Now I’m thinking of replacing my S4 with an S5, but Samsung has a habit of putting a lot of things I don’t need and will never use on devices.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- Yes. Open Settings, then select the "General" heading. Click on Siri>Voice Gender>Male. Siri sounds almost exactly like my aunt, it's very strange for me everytime I hear that voice coming out of an iPhone.
7 weeks 3 days ago
- Is Open-IX certification something that one should look for when evaluating a data center? How widespread is Open-IX at this point?
7 weeks 3 days ago
- This seems to be a bit of an ongoing mystery. One theory, which sounds a little paranoid, is that "the Feds" put the screws on whoever was behind TrueCrypt (it's open source, and the developers are quite secretive).
7 weeks 3 days ago
- I have a self-hosted WordPress blog, and I want to add a personalized favicon to it (a favicon is the little image that is in the address bar next to the URL on some websites). What do I need to do to add one?
8 weeks 8 hours ago
- I use Beautiful Widgets for my on-screen clock on my S4, but often the time is different between it and that on the clock in the taskbar at the top of the screen. The taskbar clock displays the correct time. Does anyone know how to make the widget and taskbar display the same, correct time?
8 weeks 2 days ago
- How can I merge multiple multiple PDFs into a single PDF? I’m using a Mac (which I’m not all that familiar with) and don’t have Adobe Acrobat. I’ll buy it if I have to, but can I do it without Acrobat?
11 weeks 1 day ago
- A lot of people seem pretty excited about IFTTT (If This Then That) coming to Android. What does it do that other apps don’t that makes to make it so useful?
13 weeks 19 hours ago
- How can I stop media from automatically playing when I visit a website using Internet Explorer?
14 weeks 1 day ago
- A nandroid backup is just a full backup of an Android device’s flash memory, so you can revert to that state should something go amiss. You have to root your device and install a custom recovery to perform a nandroid backup, but it is one of the fundamental steps of rooting and flashing custom ROMs.
14 weeks 3 days ago
- What exactly is ICANN, and what does it do?
15 weeks 13 hours ago
- It’s probably an extension or app either in your browser or, if you have one, your Android phone/tablet.
17 weeks 1 day ago
- There is no need to waste your money on third party software, just go to SETTINGS>GENERAL>RESET and then select Erase All Content and Settings. Here are Apple’s instructions on “What to do before selling or giving away your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.” http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5661
17 weeks 1 day ago
- I haven’t been able to find a US release date for the Samsung Galaxy S5. Anyone know when we can expect to see them reach the US market?
18 weeks 3 days ago
- Blu-Ray disks can store about five time the amount of data that a DVD can store (5GB vs 25GB for a single layer disc), while visually appearing practically identical. I thought it might be layers, but that doesn’t seem to be it, since you have dual and single layer discs in either format.
24 weeks 3 days ago
- stylor asks What impact will congressional opposition have on to FCC efforts to enforce net neutrality?The FCC said that it wants to reclassify ISPs as common carriers so that it can enforce net neutrality rules.
25 weeks 1 day ago
- It is usually pretty simple, but it is a little different from Windows. Apple has a guide on how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/PH10644
26 weeks 2 days ago
- So far CES seems to be a lot of awesome TVs and tech that you wear this year. As someone who grew up with a 13” black and white TV, I can see the appeal of bigger and better screens in the living room. Wearable tech I am not so sure about.
28 weeks 3 days ago
- My brother got his wife a new Nexus 5 for Christmas to replace her old iPhone 4. Is there a good consumer level guide to help people making the transition?
29 weeks 3 days ago
- Is there any reason not to use an SD card for additional laptop storage instead of an external HDD? They are smaller, have no moving parts, and I have them laying all over the place so they are essentially “free.” I rarely use the SD card slot on my laptop, so I could just leave it the laptop in all the time.
30 weeks 3 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.