- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2011
Areas of Interest:
- These aren’t your grandpa’s alkaline batteries that are catching on fire, they are usually lithium-ion. Lithium is great for batteries, but it is also very reactive.
1 day 26 min ago
- I have a LG phone with Android 4.4, but it’s not one of the devices listed as compatible. Will it still work with Cardboard VR kits?
1 day 55 min ago
- Hadoop hiring is strong, but of course the job outlook is going to vary from location to location. I couldn’t find specific numbers for Hadoop administrators, but demand for developers is up 35% this year according to a dice.com survey. I would think that there has been a similar increase in demand for admins.
1 day 1 hour ago
- Are reasonably sure that there is a tracking app installed on your phone? Of course it is possible, although the person responsible would almost certainly need to have had physical access to it.
1 day 2 hours ago
- Is there a way I can save files from my Nexus 7 tablet direct to a USB flash drive?
4 days 3 hours ago
- According to a report on The Verge over the weekend, Microsoft will probably offer an early preview version for developers on September 30th.
4 days 7 hours ago
- In Finder, press Command + Shift +G, then in the Go To Folder box type: /Applications/Pages.app/Contents/Resources/ Open the file Apple.txt to see the speech.
4 days 8 hours ago
- If you have access to the phone, check out the TopSpy app. It has a lot of features, including GPS tracking, call logging, and social media monitoring, but it’s expensive. A business version costs almost $35 per month. http://topspymonitoring.com/
4 days 8 hours ago
- How do I kill an unresponsive tab without closing the Chrome browser completely? It doesn’t happen often, but once in a while, I’ll have a website that constantly loads with the spinning icon on the tab, and the tab doesn’t respond when I try to close it.
1 week 1 day ago
- Is there a difference in video quality between HD streaming video and Blu-ray discs?
2 weeks 2 days ago
- In the future, there are some indications that there may be an Amazon alternative to Square reader. You can read about it at The Verge, but it sounds like it is a ways off, so it won’t help you now. http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/27/5942781/amazon-may-be-going-after-square-with-a-credit-card-reader-of-its-own
4 weeks 2 days ago
- TheCount answers Re: How does Android “Fake ID” vulnerability compromise security and what can be done to prevent it?This exploit took advantage of a vulnerability in the way Android checks the certificates of applications, and allows a fake certificate (or “fake ID”) to be used to grant permissions that an app like Flash or Gmail would have when the permissions should be restricted. This can allow malware to more or less take over the entire device.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- Since you already have a “Cloud Ready” printer, there isn’t too much more you will have to do. She is going to need two things for her iPhone and iPad - the Chrome browser and the PrintCentral Pro app (there are two versions on iTunes, one for iPhone and one for iPad, so make sure she gets both).
6 weeks 5 days ago
- Microsoft has announced that Windows 7 will enter Extended Support status in January 2015. How will this affect Windows 7 users? Will there be any changes as to the frequency of patches and updates?
7 weeks 2 days ago
- While I still hear complaints about Android fragmentation from time to time, it seems as if those complaints are much less common than they used to be. Am I just going deaf, or is fragmentation not as much of an issue as it used to be? If it isn’t, what’s changed?
7 weeks 5 days ago
- I have a few videos up on YouTube that have tens of thousands of hits. I’m not greedy or anything, but I figure if anyone is going to make money off of my videos, I should get a piece of the pie. What do I need to do to become a YouTube Partner and monetize my videos?
12 weeks 1 day ago
- Windows 8 uses something called “SuperFetch” and “ReadyBoost” to monitor your usage patterns and pre-fetch data that you are likely to use into memory. Thus, it increases performance because Windows doesn’t have to retrieve the data from your hard drive when it is needed.
15 weeks 1 day ago
- We have a number of HP printers that suddenly started displaying the message “Vote for Josh.” It is on our network, could someone have taken advantage of this to “hack” the display message. We don’t have a Josh at my office, by the way, so there are no obvious suspects.
15 weeks 1 day ago
- This is pretty easy on a Mac. First of all, launch preview (finder>applications>preview) and open the pdf file. Second, if thumbnails are visible, just click the thumbnail of the pdf you want to merge and drag it to the thumbnail of the pdf you want to merge it with and it will automatically be added to the end of the destination pdf.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- It seems that everyone and their brother has at some point decided to enter their own pony in the smartphone horserace - Ubuntu, Firefox, Samsung/Tizen, etc. - and most have met with limited success.
17 weeks 3 days ago
- I would not expect to see much impact. Compared to earlier changes where they split DVD and streaming, the price increase will be modest. Also, according to the press reports that I’ve read, the company will grandfather existing customers at the current rate, at least for some period of time.
18 weeks 3 days ago
- Last week the CEO of Mozilla resigned after it was revealed that he donated $1000 to support Proposition 8, the California anti-gay rights ballot initiative that passed a couple of years ago. Now, there are calls to boycott Dropbox because former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has joined the board of directors.
20 weeks 1 day ago
- Some new routers tout their inclusion of “beamforming.” How much does this really improve the range of a wireless router? Is it just a catchy tagline (“Blast processing!!!) or is it worth paying a premium for?
20 weeks 4 days ago
- I know this is not the answer that you want, but It may or may not work fine. Ideally you should upgrade in matched pairs; with different sizes and (potentially) manufacturers, there is a chance it could cause stability issues. Common things I’ve seen happen are just getting stuck on a boot screen or BSOD.
21 weeks 9 hours ago
- My laptop has started making progressively more noise. I’m almost certain that it is the fan. Is there anything that can be done to fix it, or will I have to replace the fan?
22 weeks 6 hours ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.