- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- The NSA program dubbed MonsterMind is dangerous in that it would enable automated retaliation against machines that launch cyber attacks with no human intervention, meaning that such counterattacks could hit innocent parties.
1 week 1 day ago
- Dan Greer has other suggestions to improve cyber security that will make software vendors ‘yell bloody murder'.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- For $50 attackers can build a radio device that cracks home alarm systems and other common security devices, Black Hat 2014 attendees will hear this week.
2 weeks 4 days ago
- Microsoft seems on the brink of announcing a major enhancement to its operating system lines, namely merging them into a single OS that could bring big benefits for corporate users.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- The TOR Project thinks it has figured out how the author of a canceled Black Hat talk cracked its software to mask the source of Internet traffic, and it is working on a patch.
4 weeks 3 days ago
- CEO Satya Nadella last week gave what amounted to a public tongue-lashing to Microsoft's 127,000 employees, which was followed up by an analyst's report that the company plans to announce layoffs of up to 10% of that number at its quarterly earnings report July 22.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- Microsoft is coming out with new hardware and cloud management features for its StorSimple hybrid storage offering that promises lower costs and better data protection.
6 weeks 1 day ago
- Businesses that waited until the last minute to abandon Windows XP are now helping to flatten out the nosedive that saw PC sales drop off nearly 10% last year, Gartner says.
6 weeks 4 days ago
- Migrating to Microsoft's Office 365 from an on-premises Office suite requires help, experts say, in order to navigate the vagaries of moving apps smoothly to the cloud, a task made more challenging if the transition is from alternatives such as GroupWise and Lotus SmartSuite.
7 weeks 4 days ago
- Hint: Know those PowerShell commands.
9 weeks 2 days ago
- Quest's Migrator wasn't right, Bit Titan's Migrationwiz was.
9 weeks 3 days ago
- Saving about $2 million was the primary reason international business-facility management firm ABM decided to convert its virtual infrastructure from VMware's vSphere to Microsoft's Hyper-V, but that came only after a period of having Microsoft prove that its virtual environment was ready.
11 weeks 4 days ago
- The more languages it learns, the better it becomes at the ones it learned first, but no one knows why.
12 weeks 2 days ago
- Members of Reddit peppered Microsoft's Surface Team about its newly announced Surface Pro 3 tablet, including complaints about having to pay for the keyboard/cover separately.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer is apparently chasing ownership of the L.A. Clippers in earnest, reportedly meeting yesterday with Shelly Sterling, who's running the team since her husband, Donald, was banned from the NBA.
12 weeks 3 days ago
- Microsoft showed off new Office features at TechEd 2014, but some of them will never be available to customers who don't embrace the cloud version of the software suite, Office 365, and the company will take its time bringing others to market for Office Server users.
14 weeks 3 days ago
- Microsoft is issuing the second critical patch this month for Internet Explorer, but this time won't stray from its dictum not to support versions that run with Windows XP.
15 weeks 15 hours ago
- Microsoft is putting makers of downloader software on notice when it sees that their products are being used to infect PCs, and it is telling anti-virus vendors that perhaps these downloader programs ought to be tagged as malware.
15 weeks 2 days ago
- The long rumored Surface Mini Windows RT 8.1 tablet may finally make an appearance May 20 at a press event in New York City.
15 weeks 3 days ago
- Despite a known browser vulnerability and lacking security support, Windows XP remains the second most popular PC operating system, according to NetApplications.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- HP is introducing a service that correlates security events to their likely impact on business goals with the objective of helping IT security pros jump on the most dangerous threats sooner.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- China is working on a Linux operating system that can replace the now-vulnerable Windows XP and protect the country's networking infrastructure.
17 weeks 2 days ago
- Tim Greene wrote Patch Tuesday: Final Microsoft support for Windows XP addresses Internet Explorer problemsMicrosoft's final patches for Windows XP that come out next week focus on critical problems with older versions of Internet Explorer that can result in malicious code being run remotely on victim machines.
20 weeks 1 day ago
- Expert: It might make sense to help reluctant users to upgrade to something newer and more secure.
20 weeks 4 days ago
- Office for the iPad is available, but it might not be what you were expecting.
21 weeks 16 hours ago
- 1 of 9
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.