- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Can I mirror the entire display on my Android phone to my Chromecast the same way I do when casting a Chrome browser tab? Of course, I realize that some individual apps support Chromecast, but I’m talking about the entire display of the phone.
9 weeks 3 days ago
- Avast released a report saying that they were able to recover data, including rather compromising personal photos, from used Android devices that had been “wiped” prior to resale. As someone who replaces my devices on a regular basis, this is an issue of some concern for me. If a factory reset won’t do the trick, what will?
11 weeks 5 days ago
- Is this just a marketing term for a proprietary WiFi signal, or is it something that works differently?
12 weeks 1 day ago
- Most of the videos that autoplay are going to be Flash, so if you disable Flash it will dramatically cut down on the number you experience. Open Firefox, the CTRL+SHIFT+A to get to your add-ons menu.
13 weeks 2 days ago
- The Supreme Court just ruled against Aereo, the company that gave out antennas to subscribers that allowed them to send the signal to a cloud based DVR and stream the signal back. The Court found this infringed on the rights of TV broadcasters. Will this impact cloud storage providers who allow users to store music and movies in the cloud?
13 weeks 5 days ago
- tswayne answers Re: How to ensure that I still receive my text messages if I switch from iPhone to Android?You must turn off iMessage before you switch phones. iPhones use a different system for text messages than other smartphones do. I think that it is a terrible design decision by Apple, but if you don't disable iMessage before you get rid of the iPhone/iPan, you may never be able to get texts from other people still inside the Apple universe.
18 weeks 1 day ago
- A. First off, you can't use a Chromebook for set up. You need a computer running on MacOS, Windows or Linux with the Chrome browser installed. B. Go to the Chrome menu - the three small horizontal lines in the top right of the Chrome browser window. C. Go to "settings" and click "show advanced settings."
18 weeks 1 day ago
- tswayne answers Re: Have revelations of NSA spying on the public harmed business for US based data centers?There has been some effect. A New York Times article from a couple months ago pointed out some of the impact. Microsoft has lost a number of contracts, including a pretty significant one with the government of Brazil.
19 weeks 6 days ago
- I wouldn’t say SAS 70 certifications are of no value, but they are an added expense, and most customers aren’t going to require them. Those that do also have the option of conducting their own audit at their own expense, instead of increasing costs for the 98% of data center customers that do not require SAS 70 certification.
19 weeks 6 days ago
20 weeks 3 days ago
- I’m on the board of a small non-profit and I get a lot of emails asking the exact same things. Is there any way to set up prewritten canned responses to those emails so I don’t waste as much time responding to them? Thanks.
21 weeks 5 days ago
- When recording audio files for a website, what sampling rate and sample resolution are adequate for visitors to hear decent sound quality? I’m looking at either 8KHz, 8-bit mono or 22MHz, 16-bit stereo. I’d like to keep the file size as small as possible while still sounding reasonably good.
24 weeks 6 days ago
- How do I go about converting AP divs to tables in Dreamweaver?
26 weeks 3 days ago
- What’s the procedure to block a specific website with Windows Server 2008 R2?
28 weeks 3 days ago
- There have been efforts by consumer groups to have “kill switches” built into smartphones so that if the devices are lost or stolen, the kill switch can be remotely activated, making them useless and preventing theft of data. This would remove much of the incentive for theft of devices, and would seem to be a good idea.
33 weeks 3 days ago
- I know it is often possible to recover data from a failed HDD, but what about a SSD? If it fails, can data be recovered or are you out of luck?
33 weeks 5 days ago
- It has been a problem for a couple of days, and at this point Yahoo is well aware of it. Unfortunately for people who use Yahoo email, the company itself issued a statement that said this was caused by a hardware issue that is more difficult to resolve than they anticipated.
41 weeks 4 days ago
- When someone tries to use a copied disc, how can a PC or game console tell that it is a copy instead of an original (legitimate) disc?
43 weeks 5 days ago
- Just to follow up on LG’s data collection from its TVs, an LG “investigation,” (in other words, “Who screwed this up so we got busted?”) showed that they were in fact collecting customer’s data even if they opted out. LG says they are going to address it and make the disable feature actually work:
44 weeks 12 hours ago
- How can I convert a Word Doc to PDF in Office?
44 weeks 4 days ago
- I’m getting a strange crackling sound from my PC’s speakers, but the strange thing is that I also get it when I use a headset. It sounds almost like my old home stereo speakers used to after they had been abused (blown, as we called it back in the day), but since it isn’t limited to the speakers, I assume there is another cause.
44 weeks 5 days ago
- Ubuntu users, what would be the main benefits that a Windows user could expect if he made the switch to Ubuntu?
48 weeks 9 hours ago
- That actually sounds more like a bad inverter board. Check the inverter board and I think you will find it is the issue.
1 year 2 weeks ago
- tswayne answers Re: Which would be easier to transition to from Microsoft Office; OpenOffice or LibreOffice?I don’t think the transition would be markedly more difficult for either, honestly. LibreOffice is actually a fork of OpenOffice, so they are more similar than different. Let’s face it, most office suites do the same basic functions, although it can take time to adjust to the quirks of the individual software.
1 year 3 weeks ago
- It seems to me like Nokia had pretty much committed itself to Windows Phone, and has been making nice devices that just haven’t sold well, despite a solid advertising push and generally reasonable prices for the hardware. What does the purchase of Nokia’s phone division accomplish for Microsoft?
1 year 3 weeks ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.