- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Does anyone know the required bandwidth for video conferencing on Skype to be high quality. We had a video conference last week with about half a dozen participants, and the quality was pretty bad. Our connection is DSL with 6Mbps download speeds.
5 days 6 hours ago
- I have only had two different Android phones over my smartphone “career”, one LG and one Motorola. I think that my daughter is old enough to have a smartphone, and I am going to go with a pre-paid plan to prevent her overuse of the phone (set amount of minutes and data per month without risk of overages).
2 weeks 1 day ago
- Does anyone know when "normal people" will be able to buy Google Glass? Despite the photo of the guy in the shower (nice pic, broheim), I would love to get a pair for myself when they are available to the general public.
5 weeks 1 day ago
- As I responded to an earlier poster this week, many of us (but by no means all) are in the US, so we don't necessarily know what the job market and educational system is in other countries. Here, a compliance analyst makes pretty decent money, I would guess $50,000-60,000 on average, not sure what it is like where you live.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- I am helping develop content for a new company website, and apparently Google is updating it's algorithms again, which could affect SEO. Any word on what changes this Penguin update will bring? I'd rather not have to make too many revisions and changes almost as soon as I finish the content.
8 weeks 8 hours ago
- Hi, Pratham. Good luck in your career search. Many of the posters here are in the US, including myself, so we don't really know much about the educational system in India, or what the job market is like there. Maybe someone from Indian will chime in though.
8 weeks 9 hours ago
- It looks like Austin is going to join Kansas City as a city with Google Fiber (really) high speed network. Good for them. Meanwhile, I live in a city with ~300,000 people in the metropolitan area, and even though I'm located about .25 miles from the center of town, my "high speed" option is to pay AT
9 weeks 6 days ago
- When buying new PCs, is it worth the additional cost to buy machines with Thunderbolt ports in addition to USB 3.0? How widespread is Thunderbolt adoption?
12 weeks 1 day ago
- I'm not certain that I fully understand your question, but I'll give it a shot. Marketing is obviously important. Let's say that you have the greatest idea in the world.
12 weeks 5 days ago
- So Andy Rubin is out as head of Android and Sundar Pichai, who was in charge of Chrome OS, is in. Does this suggest a tighter integration of Chrome OS and Android is in the works, or is it "just" a management shuffle?
13 weeks 6 days ago
- Just out of curiousity, what are you using that for? Isn't the KM266 an ancient chipset?
15 weeks 5 days ago
- I have good connection speeds, but poor latency (244 when I pinged it a few seconds ago). Is there anything I can do on my end to reduce latency, or is it completely in the hands of my ISP? Thanks.
15 weeks 5 days ago
- I have an older Windows 7 machine that I want to turn into a gaming PC, and since it is going to be a "play" device, I want to experiment with it. What's a good benchmarking tool so I can see objectively whether each thing I do is helping or harming my computer's performance? Free is better, but I guess I would pay a few bucks. Thanks!
17 weeks 9 hours ago
- Is 7.8 a major upgrade over 7.5 for those who bought the Nokia Lumia 900, or is it just a spit and polish update? My girlfriend is pretty happy with the Lumia, but I wish it had Windows 8 (which I'm sure will not happen), and she is has been jonesing for better bluetooth capability than the Lumia 900 has now.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there a source that keeps track of MS certification offerings? I've looked around MS's site, and I can seem to find a easy to access source for what's new/updated. I was looking for MCITP in Virtualization for Windows Server 2012, but apparently it isn't available yet. Where can I find new certification release dates?
22 weeks 6 days ago
- In the words of rackspace, it is "...an open and scalable operating system for building public and private clouds." We can thank NASA for helping developing OpenStack, so raise your glass of Tang for a toast. The rackspace website has an excellent summary of OpenStack. http://www.rackspace.com/cloud/openstack/
23 weeks 4 days ago
- I hear you on the spam thing. WordPress attracts it like crazy. Other than that, it is pretty good. Anyway, the first alternative that comes to mind is Blogger, and you can jump right in if you already have a gmail account. If you are looking to host it on your own server, the two choice that I would look at are Joombla! and Movable Type.
24 weeks 4 days ago
- I read an article in Forbes this morning about a guy who demonstrated an attack on Cisco VoIP phones, and he was able to access the mic data, and even have Google Speech to Text transcribe the data in near real time. Is this something to really be concerned about? How secure are VoIP telephone systems?
27 weeks 8 hours ago
- Microsoft seems like they are trying to emulate Google+ with the launch of Socl. I have to wonder if there is room for yet another social network.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- After being hit with ads for Windows 8, Bing, and Surface every time I turn on the TV or go online recently, I started wondering - What was the worst Windows version that Microsoft ever released? To be fair, there have been a couple I really liked, including Window XP and Windows 7.
28 weeks 1 day ago
- Many people in the US don't know what an MCA is, just so you know. I don't know what type of flexibility you have on electives, but in pretty much every field it is always good to have as much practical knowledge and experience as possible, and I would suggest selecting electives with that in mind.
29 weeks 9 hours ago
- I'm not sure what the issue is or how familiar you are with MapReduce. Yahoo has a pretty good Hadoop tutorial that has two modules on MapReduce. Perhaps that may be of some help. Good luck! http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module4.html http://developer.yahoo.com/hadoop/tutorial/module5.html
29 weeks 9 hours ago
- One of my friends has a Nokia Lumina 900 Windows phone, and she wants to use a Bluetooth keyboard with it. I haven't been able to figure out how to get it to recognize the keyboard. How do you pair a Bluetooth keyboard to a Windows phone?
30 weeks 6 days ago
- I found a pretty nice 10" Android tablet at a good price, but the thing is, it is refurbished. I know that there is a warranty, but that wouldn't negate the headaches of sending it back and potentially losing files or data. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with refurbished tablets, and whether it was positive or negative.
32 weeks 5 days ago
- It's really not that much more expensive. Yeah, yeah, I know since you have some cat5e laying around the cost is zero for that, so technically cat6 is actually infinitely more expensive if it costs anything. The available bandwidth of cat5e is 100 MHz vs.
33 weeks 5 days ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.