- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- The 2014 MWC has wrapped up in Barcelona, after introducing many interesting and not so interesting ideas and products, some of which are already in production, and some which will never see the light of day. What were the most important and interesting concepts/products that are likely to actually become reality?
1 week 2 hours ago
- There was a discussion about this on the TrueCrypt forum a while back, unfortunately it requires an account to view. If you do have an account (or want to establish one), here is the relevant link: http://forums.truecrypt.org/login.php?redirect=viewtopic.php&p=67359#67359
2 weeks 1 hour ago
- No, I afraid not. I know that it isn’t exactly the same thing, but you could use Miracast as a substitute. I would be surprised if RT support is ever added to Chromecast, in light of its relatively low adoption rate.
2 weeks 3 hours ago
- Is there a way to send money to someone directly over Gmail? If so, what is the process for doing so? I read an article about a new service that “competes with Gmail’s money transfer service.” I had no idea that such a service exists, assuming the article was accurate.
3 weeks 1 hour ago
- I have been looking at Chomebooks for a while, and when I mentioned it to someone at my office they told me to be aware that you can’t print with Chromebooks like you can with a laptop, but she didn’t know the particulars of why. Is she right? Is printing with a Chomebook really more difficult that it is with, say, a Windows laptop?
3 weeks 6 days ago
- I haven’t been able to access my yahoo email in more than two days, and can’t seem to do anything about it. Since I use my yahoo email (which I have had forever) to communicate with a wide range of people, both personally and professionally, this stinks. Anyone know what the issue is or how widespread it is?
12 weeks 2 days ago
- Is there a way to send emails that delete themselves after being read, kind of like a Snapchat without the photo component?
15 weeks 2 days ago
- Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the iPad Mini’s display it? I’m curious if Apple is sticking with Samsung for components despite their ongoing legal battles.
16 weeks 2 days ago
- Are there any compatibility issues between iOS 7 and the Pebble Smartwatch?
17 weeks 1 day ago
- I think what you may be talking about is badBIOS, since I’ve heard/read a few reports about it in the past week.
17 weeks 4 days ago
- For free stock art, check out morguefile.com and stock.xchng. You will still have to check the license for each image, some are non-commercial, so if it is a business website, be aware of that and make certain the license is appropriate for your intended use.
22 weeks 2 days ago
- When looking at Chromecast, I came across mentions of Miracast a few times, which I’d never heard of even though it has been around for a while. Like Chromecast, Miracast is a dongle that plugs into the HDMI port of a TV and acts much like a physical HDMI connection.
23 weeks 1 day ago
- ttopp answers Re: Will it harm smartphones and tablets if you use a different charger than the OEM charger?There are established guidelines called USB Battery Charging Specifications, that should help ensure that you are not going to cause damage when you use a different charger with your device, even though there may be some variability withing the limits allowed by the standard.
23 weeks 1 day ago
- Am I shortening my battery life or causing any harm if I leave my laptop always plugged in?
24 weeks 19 hours ago
- Unsharp Masking is supposed to make edges in images sharper, but how can it do that? It seems to me that the visual information is either there or it isn’t, so how would USM make an images sharper?
25 weeks 23 hours ago
- I got a refurbished Lenovo laptop recently, and one of the keys on the keyboard isn’t working. I blew it out with canned air, and there was almost nothing in there, so I don’t think it is a bit of dirt causing the issue. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?
27 weeks 3 hours ago
- I was talking with a co-worker this morning, and she claimed that a new court decision made it illegal to use a proxy server to access websites.
28 weeks 3 days ago
- Could you just do a system restore to a point in time before the problems occurred?
29 weeks 1 hour ago
- I read the Wired article, and the headline sounds much more provocative than the actual story. The gist of it is that if you have stable computing needs, and aren’t concerned about rapid scalability, there may not be a financial advantage to cloud computing for your company. Makes sense to me.
29 weeks 2 hours ago
- Yes, just hold down shift when you insert the CD/DVD/whatever. Super easy.
29 weeks 4 days ago
- I don’t know why you had problems with Nook or Kobo, but I think those are among the best choices for EPUB. But whatever, things happen. Metro reader would be another option. If you get book from Amazon, Kindle for Windows 8 is the obvious choice.
31 weeks 18 hours ago
- I watched the YouTube promo video for Chromecast, the new device from Google that plugs into the HDMI port of a television. Ok so far. Then I see USB powered. Then it basically looks as if the people in the vid are pulling up content on their laptops and watching it on their TV.
32 weeks 1 day ago
- I know that in the US, certain internet providers are in the midst of upgrading everything to fiber optic as are other parts of the world. I thought regular Ethernet as it is, can support speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second. What makes fiber so much better?
34 weeks 4 days ago
- ttopp asks How much does the use of “conflict minerals” in manufacturing hardware matter to most consumers?While getting my daily serving of red pandas and cats on buzzfeed, I ran across an article about protesters unhappy with Nintendo because they felt the company was doing too little to ensure “conflict minerals” (raw material from exploitive/violent places like mines in Eastern Congo).
35 weeks 6 days ago
- Is there a way to use older videos that you have already recorded with Instagram? I’ve tried, but can’t figure out a way to do so. Thanks!
37 weeks 1 hour ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.