- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2011
Areas of Interest: Software
- Yes, you read the title of this column correctly. College students who take COBOL as an elective course as part of their college studies were hired at a higher starting salary than their peers.
1 day 21 hours ago
- I am a .NET developer working in one of the financial companies. Could you please guide me as to how to scale up my professional life and compensation?
1 week 1 day ago
- I had the pleasure of speaking with Tom Catalini about his new eBook “Talking Points: Communication Skills to Advance Your IT Career “.
3 weeks 10 hours ago
- I’ve been bouncing from technology-to-technology and application-to-application for about ten years. As a result, I’m always a worker and never the leader. How do I pick the right technology and application area to stick with and become a real expert?
3 weeks 6 days ago
- My last blog discussed the “marketing” side of IT job hunting. Today’s blog discusses “sales”.
5 weeks 9 hours ago
- I’m looking for an overall plan for my job search. I’ve updated my resume, I’m applying for jobs online, and I’m doing some personal networking. It’s funny, I’m a Project Manager by profession and can’t seem to create a project plan for finding myself a new job. Your thoughts please?
6 weeks 1 day ago
- Help, I’m a Business Analyst and I just lost my job. My company just closed and everyone working there was just told to go home. What should I do first to get a new job?
7 weeks 1 day ago
- I had the great pleasure of speaking with Jim Maholic, a VP in Hitachi Consulting’s Management Consulting and Industries Practice. We discussed how to identify, calculate and communicate the value of large scale IT projects, based on Jim’s book “Business Cases that Mean Business”.
8 weeks 6 days ago
- I’ve been in IT for about four years as an individual contributor and would like to be a CIO one day. How do I get there?
10 weeks 1 day ago
- Help! My resume looks great, my job experience is right on target, and I have great references. My problem is whenever I do a phone-based interview or job screening, they never call me back. How can I improve my phone-based interviews?
11 weeks 3 days ago
- My daughter just graduated college with a degree in Computer Science and landed a job with an insurance company in their IT department. What makes an IT person successful?
12 weeks 14 hours ago
- I am an accountant with over eight years experience in banking financial control and wish to change my career and move into IT. I just do not know exactly where to begin the journey.
12 weeks 5 days ago
- I have been an individual contributor for almost five years and would like to become a manager. What class should I take to get the management skills I need to be promoted?
14 weeks 1 day ago
- I recently graduated from a technical school with the goal of changing careers and entering the IT field. I have a little IT professional experience and my A+ certification. Any tips on finding a job?
15 weeks 10 hours ago
- The combination of programming and database skills are not only a wonderful combination from a software development perspective, it also has the potential to pivot you into other technical areas.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- I had the incredible pleasure of speaking with AARP CIO Terry Bradwell. From a CIO’s perspective, he is living the dream and, in my eyes, is a role model for all IT professionals, from the newest intern to the most experienced CIO. This is what he said and how it can help you in your career.
16 weeks 6 days ago
- I have a BS in IT Engineering, my CCNA certification, and am currently studying for my CCNP. I’m also in a post graduate program in network engineering. My graduate classes seem out of date and boring. I don’t have time to do both, should I prepare for the CCNP exam or continue my university studies?
18 weeks 14 hours ago
- I have been working on the Help Desk for about five years. I’d like to expand my skills and have been thinking about learning more about supporting mobile devices. Do you think this is a good idea? If yes, what should I learn?
19 weeks 1 day ago
- Great IT Client service is much more than just fixing someone’s PC, writing the software they specifically request, flawlessly execute nightly production, and/or provide a stable general computing environment. These are, of course, incredibly important and the basis of IT’s value to the organization, but they are not the whole story.
20 weeks 1 day ago
- As the worlds of IT and business continue to converge, the more important it becomes to provide quality client service.
21 weeks 11 hours ago
- Help! I’m a talented programmer with great experience and a good professional track record. I’ve also been job hunting for months and still can’t find a job. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
22 weeks 10 hours ago
- Mentors can help navigate the professional as well as the technical side of an IT career.
22 weeks 6 days ago
- I had the pleasure of speaking with Jean Dobey, the CEO and Founder of www.Hibe.com and Tim Morris, the firm’s VP of Marketing and Business Development. Our discussion centered around entrepreneurship as a profession and finding the right idea to start your company.
24 weeks 1 day ago
- In last week’s column we discussed four technology related tips and four ways to properly prepare you and your surrounding for Skype based call. This week we will provide additional tips related to screen logistics, interview delivery, and post call activities.
25 weeks 1 day ago
- Next week I have a job interview via Skype. I’ve done phone-based interviews, but never using Skype. Anything I should or shouldn’t do?
25 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 6