- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2011
Areas of Interest:
- I always think faster is better, but it all depends on your tolerance for delays. I hate buffering and hanging web pages. I'm in the information business, so those delays cost me work time. Just see how 6 mbps feels to you. It might be great, it might be good enough.
4 hours 18 sec ago
- This problem is the topic of a long thread in the Google Products Forum. There are several suggestions in the thread, from wiping the Nexus 7's cache partition to simply uninstalling and reinstalling Netflix for Android.
3 days 14 hours ago
- You never know these days who's looking at your digital life, do you? But for what it's worth, here's what Google says:
1 week 2 days ago
- It probably depends a bit on what type of business you have, but I always think a good tablet is a useful device to have. It's hard to go wrong with an iPad, and there are a lot of good Android tablets. I have a Nexus 7 that I like, though I'd prefer a slightly larger screen.
1 week 2 days ago
- I can't remember the last time I used Winamp, so I won't miss it, though I know many users will. My understanding is that people still can use it after December 20, but won't be able to download the software or access services.
1 week 6 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: What is a reasonable range that can I expect from a wireless router (residential)?A lot of it depends on your environment, particularly walls and other physical obstacles that can diminish a wireless router's range. My experience with several wireless routers over the years is that I can get a wireless signal up to 225 feet away from the router. It's weak, but I can get one.
2 weeks 9 hours ago
- There are a few, according to folks in the LinkedIn thread that addresses this very question. Among them are C++ , Python, Ruby and some others.
2 weeks 3 days ago
- A Chromebook doesn't need more than 16Gb of onboard storage, but a user might want more than that. If you're comfortable with the cloud, however, the Chromebook is a good device at a good price.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: What are symptoms that indicate my PC is infected with malware or viruses?Slow performance certainly is one of them. Others include when your computer freezes, mystery icons show up on your desktop, you get messages about corrupted files, and you are unable to access some maintenance and repair tools.
3 weeks 1 day ago
- Based on this Apple support page, it sounds like you'll need the previous owner to log in (or give you their log-in info) so he or she can remove the device from their account. This appears to be the case even if the device's contents have been erased.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: How do you feel about Google forcing YouTube commenters to have a Google+ account?I'm a little conflicted too, but I'd say the bottom line is that Google has the right to require whatever it believes is necessary from commenters. It's not exactly a First Amendment issue, and the only ones who will really suffer are the anonymous trolls.
3 weeks 3 days ago
- As Jim notes below, yes, the Nexus 7 will get KitKat over the next few weeks. But if you use Android Device Manager, you should check to make sure it isn't disabled after the download.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- I'm sure you can learn to use Swype with enough practice, though I wouldn't know from personal experience since I gave up in about two minutes. But your lunch partner proved it's possible to be a skilled Swyper. And a lot of folks who wrote reviews of Swype on Google Play love it.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- There were, but a new software update for iOS 7 now gives the Pebble access to all apps notifications, as this article reports.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- I think it's too early to tell. Here's what Search Engine Watch says:
5 weeks 1 day ago
- It is hard to tell the difference between an iPhone 4 and an iPhone 4S as the hardware specs are almost identical. Almost.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Will Apple making Mac OS X Maverick available for free force Microsoft to do the same with Windows?Microsoft has had problems adjusting to the modern computing world, clinging to its Windows OS desktop empire and blowing mobile (up to now).
5 weeks 6 days ago
- Here's an answer from Google's Chrome Forum: You have to add the -incognito switch to the shortcut Target box, and it will open Chrome in incognito mode.
6 weeks 1 hour ago
- This freeware promises to be able to recover your lost wifi password. I haven't tried it, but it gets glowing reviews from many readers. Otherwise, resetting the router to the factory settings should solve the problem, I would think.
6 weeks 1 day ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: Would it still make sense to buy a PS3 or X360 with the new generation machines just around the corner?I think you will have buyer's remorse if you purchase a Playstation 3 at this point in time. Buying technology that feels almost immediately outdated is never a good feeling. A little more patience will pay off.
6 weeks 3 days ago
- It's definitely worth upgrading to Windows 8.1, according to PC World's Mark Hachman:
7 weeks 9 hours ago
- Christopher Nerney answers Re: What is the advantage of a 120Hz refresh rate versus a 60Hz refresh rate for a display?A faster refresh rate doesn't really matter, according to this
7 weeks 2 days ago
- It is realistic to expect cost savings through virtualization, particularly hardware and energy expenditures. But there also are other benefits. Among them are simplified IT management, improved business continuity and disaster recovery, and faster response time.
7 weeks 6 days ago
- This site offers a good summary of peer-to-peer advantages and disadvantages. The latter include: * Potential slowdowns of computers used by multiple people * No central back-up for files and folders
8 weeks 2 days ago
- It's a good question. This article quotes a Samsung executive who says flexible form factors "will really begin to change how people interact with their devices, opening up new lifestyle possibilities ...
8 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 28