- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2011
Areas of Interest:
- I was thinking of adding some fairly short informational audio tracks to our website - maybe moving into weekly podcasting if it gets any traction. What is the best audio format choice for file size, decent audio, and compatibility with different OSes?
1 day 19 hours ago
- I've read that there is a slight space, or "air gap" between the lcd and glass that make up the display on iPads. Presumably, this gap causes two images that the eye must see at the same time and merge into one. Theoretically, this can cause unnecessary eye strain.
1 week 3 days ago
- Ok, perhaps I'm just a little slow today, but I've been floundering around trying to figure out how to use my address list to make address labels for a "Spring Sale" flyer to send to all of our customers. Can someone provide a guide on how to do this? I'm using Word 2010. Thanks.
4 weeks 3 days ago
- How do you pick which VPN protocol to use? We are a small business, so I'm trying to balance making it easy while still having decent security. That being said, I'm biased towards simplicity. Thanks for the help.
6 weeks 4 days ago
- I missed one of those "check if you don't want the toolbar installed" boxes and accidentally installed an unwanted toolbar in my Firefox browser. I may be missing the obvious, but how the heck do I get rid of the toolbar?
9 weeks 1 day ago
- I purchased Office 2013 when it was first release, and was surprised to find out that under the terms of the user agreement I couldn't transfer the license from the machine on which it was originally installed to another machine without purchasing a new license. Not a huge deal, but we are a small business.
10 weeks 1 day ago
- With integrated graphics now built in to the motherboard on the vast majority of computers, there is no need for a separate graphics card for most uses.
10 weeks 3 days ago
- We have some brochures that need to go to the printer, and they want us to use Pantone to ensure accurate color matching. We are using GIMP on Ubuntu 11.04. This is out of my area of expertise, I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of graphic design and printing - is there a way to use Pantone in GIMP?
16 weeks 2 days ago
- Thanks for the input, I'll focus on Thunderbird.
18 weeks 2 days ago
- I'm pretty new to Ubuntu, so much of it is a brave new world for me. The two main email clients, although there are others, seem to be Evolution and Thunderbird. Is one generally regarded as superior to the other? What Ubuntu email client do you choose?
18 weeks 3 days ago
- I use Google Apps at my office, and have for a long time. Google is starting to charge business users, even small business users, to use Apps now. I'm grandfathered in at free (at least as I understand it for the time being). Would you pay to use Apps, or is it only worth considering when the price is zero?
22 weeks 4 days ago
- At my business, it's important to control costs and see benefits for the capital we spend, so I need to be reasonably confident that there will be a decent ROI for what we spend on advertising. Does anyone know any good and unbiased studies that show the effectiveness of mobile advertising, or even any personal experiences? Thanks.
24 weeks 23 hours ago
- The introduction of an "app store" for Windows is a bit of a change fot me. Does anyone know if/how admins can control installation of 3rd party software, er "apps" on Windows 8?
27 weeks 4 days ago
- I've held off on purchasing a Chromebook because I though they were very overpriced for what they offer. The new Samsung Chromebook is $200(!) cheaper than the old version, and buying one doesn't seem so absurd to me now. What do you think, are they worth it at this price?
29 weeks 3 days ago
- SilverHawk asks What would cause a printer on a network to spool, but then drop documents from the queue without printing?I added a printer to my office network that is made up of all Windows 7 machines, but I can not get it to print documents. They spool up fine, then just disappear from the queue without anything happening with one odd exception, they will print from notepad.
32 weeks 22 hours ago
- We are looking to save some money and switch from paying for MS Office to using an open source office suite. I had mostly been thinking of OpenOffice because I have used it a couple times and found it pretty easy to use, but my use was limited to simple tasks.
33 weeks 3 days ago
- I have rooted my Android Phone, an LG Optimus I've had for almost 2 years. To do much more than remove the "bloatware" that came pre-installed, I need to install a custom recovery. Frankly, this looks more difficult than rooting, or at least the chance of screwing up looks higher. How can I do it without risking bricking my phone?
34 weeks 23 hours ago
- The German government recommended that users stop using IE in light of the security vulnerability that was revealed by Eric Romang of Zataz.com. Is the vulnerability so significant that this is really necessary, or is this overkill?
34 weeks 2 days ago
- One of the people at my office apparently clicked a "Like" button on a website, and next thing I know, our customers on Facebook are complaining about the porn link we "liked" after they followed our apparent recommendation. Welcome to the clickjacking party.
39 weeks 5 days ago
- Frankly, this is something I never thought would affect my business. I have a small company, no national reputation beyond a few specific customers, and I can't think of anything I've done to make anyone particularly unhappy with me.
41 weeks 4 days ago
- My poor keyboard is taking a pounding right now, because I am "typing angry". I run a small company that is very specialized, and a high percentage of my customers are people I actually interact with on Facebook, and they often place orders or make inquiries just by using my email.
46 weeks 4 days ago
- I remember when a T1 connection was the greatest thing I'd ever seen, but time marches on, companies grow and now a T1 line is marginal for our business as far as speed and capacity goes. Our provider offers NxT1 as a relatively affordable step up for SMBs.
49 weeks 4 days ago
- Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into that!
51 weeks 3 days ago
- We have to produce web video on a fairly regular basis and have been using the crummy (technical term) video editing software that came with the camera. None of us were in the AV Crowd in school, and we just have to make the occasional serviceable web video, we are not trying to be the next Terrence Malick.
51 weeks 3 days ago
- I'm starting to plan out my next gaming PC, and I've decided on an Intel Ivy Bridge i7 processor. It's rated at 3.5GHz, but as with most things in life, some is good and more is better, so I'm thinking of overclocking it. How well do the new Intel Ivy Bridge processors respond to overclocking?
1 year 21 hours ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.