- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: August 2011
Areas of Interest:
- What length of PC lifecycle have you found works best? I’m at a smaller business, so expense is always a concern, but I don’t want to be penny wise and pound foolish by extending the service life so long that upgrades and repairs make any savings an illusion.
1 week 2 days ago
- With Dreamweaver CS3, how can I apply a template to a page that is already fully designed without ending up with one design inside of the other?
3 weeks 3 days ago
- What is the most effective way to respond to negative online reviews of your business? Do you ignore it, or attempt to respond and address the issue?
4 weeks 3 days ago
- A new intern just started at my office today and showed up with a MacBook. That’s great, but everything here is Windows, and I don’t know anything about Macs, and it turns out that the intern doesn’t either. How do I set it up to connect it to our network? This is a small office - I’m using my desktop as our server.
6 weeks 4 days ago
- What types of links should I use no-follow tags with for best SEO results?
8 weeks 10 hours ago
- SilverHawk asks Why does Dreamweaver CS3 tell me that my file is located outside of the root folder?I’m using Dreamweaver CS3 on a Windows PC, and I sometimes get the message that my file is located outside of the root folder. What is causing this and how should I handle it?
9 weeks 8 hours ago
- I had never heard of XBRL until recently. I didn’t even know what XBRL was until this week. Turns out it is eXtensable Business Reporting Language, and is used on websites to comply with financial reporting laws.
12 weeks 2 days ago
- As a small business owner, I view Black Friday a little differently than many people. For me, instead of a Christmas buying opportunity, it is a chance to buy some office equipment for the next year. Any suggestions for sale items on this Black Friday that I can justify as at least somewhat work related?
14 weeks 4 days ago
- We are relocating to a new location, and will need to set up a new network. We currently have a wireless network, which has generally served up pretty well. We will probably have about 15-20 people in the new location.
17 weeks 2 days ago
- What is a good place to get stock photos for use on websites? I’d rather use images that are free, of course, but if the fees aren’t too high I don’t mind paying a little. Any sources that stand out?
22 weeks 3 days ago
- I’ve sideloaded a number of apps that were officially incompatible with my Android phone, with mixed results; sometimes they actually work fine, sometimes I get to spend some time with Titanium Backup to restore the device. I’m ok with this, and realize I risk bricking my phone, but it is old enough that I don’t mind taking the chance.
23 weeks 2 days ago
- My Windows 7 laptop is getting a little old, but it still has some life left in it. It was never all that fast to boot up, but it’s gotten even slower over the years. How can I speed up boot time so I’m not just sitting there staring at it and thinking about getting a new laptop?
27 weeks 14 hours ago
- How can you set up bitcoins as a payment method on a website?
30 weeks 3 days ago
- Even though Windows 8 has been released long enough for a significant update already, I still have Windows 7 at both my home and office. Hey, I may be behind the times, but at least I’m not still using Windows XP. What is the single biggest improvement in Windows 8 to someone migrating from Windows 7?
31 weeks 4 days ago
- Ummm, yeah? I don’t really know how awesome Microsoft’s new logo really is. How many people even notice the relatively subtle change? It’s ok, it is still instantly recognizable, and I guess it does look a little more up to date.
32 weeks 4 days ago
- I’ve been a Facebook user for many years now. I’m somewhat familiar with the concept of Tweeting - it’s like posting to the news feed on Facebook.
38 weeks 1 day ago
- I was looking into adding a few more lines to my business. We have been doing quite well and we only have two phones. Unfortunately, a lot of calls seem to be missed. Our voicemail will pick up but only if one (or both) of the lines is not in use.
40 weeks 2 days ago
- I was thinking of adding some fairly short informational audio tracks to our website - maybe moving into weekly podcasting if it gets any traction. What is the best audio format choice for file size, decent audio, and compatibility with different OSes?
42 weeks 1 day ago
- I've read that there is a slight space, or "air gap" between the lcd and glass that make up the display on iPads. Presumably, this gap causes two images that the eye must see at the same time and merge into one. Theoretically, this can cause unnecessary eye strain.
43 weeks 3 days ago
- Ok, perhaps I'm just a little slow today, but I've been floundering around trying to figure out how to use my address list to make address labels for a "Spring Sale" flyer to send to all of our customers. Can someone provide a guide on how to do this? I'm using Word 2010. Thanks.
46 weeks 3 days ago
- How do you pick which VPN protocol to use? We are a small business, so I'm trying to balance making it easy while still having decent security. That being said, I'm biased towards simplicity. Thanks for the help.
48 weeks 4 days ago
- I missed one of those "check if you don't want the toolbar installed" boxes and accidentally installed an unwanted toolbar in my Firefox browser. I may be missing the obvious, but how the heck do I get rid of the toolbar?
51 weeks 1 day ago
- I purchased Office 2013 when it was first release, and was surprised to find out that under the terms of the user agreement I couldn't transfer the license from the machine on which it was originally installed to another machine without purchasing a new license. Not a huge deal, but we are a small business.
1 year 10 hours ago
- With integrated graphics now built in to the motherboard on the vast majority of computers, there is no need for a separate graphics card for most uses.
1 year 2 days ago
- We have some brochures that need to go to the printer, and they want us to use Pantone to ensure accurate color matching. We are using GIMP on Ubuntu 11.04. This is out of my area of expertise, I know next to nothing about the technical aspects of graphic design and printing - is there a way to use Pantone in GIMP?
1 year 6 weeks ago
- 1 of 2
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.