- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: March 2012
Areas of Interest:
- How do FTP and HTTP differ in the manner in which they transfer files? Does one offer any significant advantage over the other?
6 days 3 hours ago
- I know there are some places Comcast has already put data caps in place. Does anyone know in which markets this has been implemented?
3 weeks 1 day ago
- At WWDC, Apple announced a new programming language called Swift. I missed the live stream. What does Swift do that existing languages don't already offer?
5 weeks 1 hour ago
- jack12 asks Will Google bring the "right to be forgotten" to the US now that is is implemented in EU?I'm a fairly private sort of guy - generally use TOR, real name isn't jack12, etc. In my opinion it is too easy to find personal information through online searches. The EU just forced the issue with the "right to be forgotten" ruling, which allows people to ask Google to remove links to info about them. I think that's great.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- You can do it easily. Just go into SETTINGS>GENERAL. Turn on RESTRICTIONS - this requires a little set-up and you will need to establish a passcode. After you have done this, there will be a number of headings under “Enable Restrictions.” Go down to “Allowed Content” then toggle off “In-app purchases.”
9 weeks 6 days ago
- There is. Open Gmail and click on the little gear icon on the top right, then select Settings. There will be a row of tabs, select the “Labs” tab. Scroll down and you should see “Canned Responses by Chad P” - tick the “enable” box and save your changes.
9 weeks 6 days ago
- A number of friends I went to college with have been using Google Hangouts for weekly video conferencing calls to keep in touch. Another friend wants to join us, but refuses to set up a Google+ account because he says he doesn’t want Google listening to everything he says.
13 weeks 6 days ago
- I am trying set up a blog that I am self hosting on WordPress.org. I can’t complete installation though because I keep getting a 403: Forbidden Access message. I’m using a Windows 7 desktop. Any ideas what can cause this?
22 weeks 2 days ago
- I’m thinking of getting a new Chromebook, but don’t know all that much about them. Basically, I want a light, simple, inexpensive machine that I can use to get online and use Google Docs. I’ve seen a lot with only 2 GB of memory, same as my phone. Is this enough, or should I look for a Chromebook with more RAM?
24 weeks 23 hours ago
- Windows Phone has to be pretty much an “also-ran” in the mobile market for a long time, but it seems like I’m seeing better and better hardware options lately. Still I don’t see very many Windows Phone devices out in the wild. Have they started to get any traction yet, or is it still a two horse race between Apple and Android?
26 weeks 21 hours ago
- To be fair, it is an opt-in system, so you just have to choose the appropriate box, or I suppose if you are getting service in person, tell little Johnny's grandmother that happens to work for the local ISP that you really want to look at everything. “Yes, mum. Everything. See you at church on Sunday, mum.”
27 weeks 2 days ago
- First off, examine your own actions for behaviors that are high risk, things like opening attachments on emails and visiting risky sites (which are often risque sites). You might want to also consider keystroke encryption software, which should prevent keyloggers from stealing your passwords, account numbers, etc.
29 weeks 2 days ago
- Is memory effect (where a battery will loose the capacity to take a full charge if consistently charged from a partially discharged state) still an issue I have to be concerned about with current laptop batteries? If so what should I do to avoid it?
29 weeks 6 days ago
- jack12 asks Can Microsoft Security Scanner be used if a third party anti-virus program is installed on a PC?Can I still use Microsoft Security Scanner if another anti-virus program is installed on a PC?
30 weeks 1 day ago
- jack12 answers Re: What is a reasonable range that can I expect from a wireless router (residential)?As Christopher said, it depends a lot on your environment. In a perfect world, line of sight without any obstructions, you could see 50% signal strength for 300-400 feet with a good residential AP. At the same time, with that same router, you could potentially get a very poor signal the next room over.
32 weeks 6 days ago
- What you are hearing is computer morse code that means “spend some money and fix me.” Preserve all your data immediately and stop using it. Clicking sounds usually indicate bad heads in your hard drive. If you continue to use it, the problem will just get worse.
40 weeks 5 days ago
- You can change it under the Developer tab (if not visible, go to File>Options, then go to Customize Ribbon in the Word Options dialog box and check the Developer box). Select the Attach button; in the Attach Template dialog box you can choose the template you want and open it.
41 weeks 1 day ago
- I was in the shower yesterday and heard a piece on Morning Edition about the use of mesh networks in response to concerns over outside entities monitoring activity. I didn’t catch the entire thing, but it seemed to imply that a mesh network would be a more secure alternative to a traditional network. Does this make any sense?
43 weeks 5 hours ago
- To be fair, PayPal has released the funds in both of the instances you cited, although one has to wonder whether they would have budged if not for the media attention paid to their actions.
43 weeks 2 days ago
- The easiest way is to simply go to Windows Start and select Recent Items. Unless the person thought to erase recent items, you should be able to see if anyone was poking around. You can also check the recent activity on any of your browsers to see if websites that you have not accessed are in there.
43 weeks 2 days ago
- I’m pretty sure that you can’t print out ebooks from iBooks (lots of vowels in front of the word "book" in a single sentence), but you can print PDFs. It would be nice if you could print out ebooks; I don’t really see the problem with it.
43 weeks 5 days ago
- jack12 answers Re: How can I use landscape and portrait layout for different pages in the same Word document?You can do it, but Microsoft could have made it easier to figure out. Here is a guide for you: http://www.officetooltips.com/word/tips/how_to_use_different_page_orientations_inside_one_document.html
43 weeks 5 days ago
- jack12 answers Re: What’s the difference between Apple’s new “iPhone Trade In” program and the current “Reuse and Recycle” program?The recycle option is only available online, while you can just walk in the store for the “iPhone Trade In Program”. I’m not sure if there is any difference between the Trade in and Recycle programs as far values offered, but you are most likely going to get more by selling it somewhere other than the Apple Store.
45 weeks 1 day ago
- No way, but maybe that’s just me. Also, to be fair, you actually get five email addresses on your wish list for $1.99. Which is still about $1.99 more than I would pay. How are they going to keep stuff that isn’t intended for the new user of the address out of their hands?
45 weeks 1 day ago
- I’m not expecting major changes. Fingerprint scanning seems to be a strong possibility, based on the number of times I’ve seen it pop up in “insider” articles. Other than that, I expect a significant amount of minor changes, new icons, spiffy animations and beefed up hardware specs.
46 weeks 6 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.