- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Select the page layout tab on the ribbon, and then click “background.” In the resulting “sheet background” box, find the image that you want to use for your background and select it, then click “insert” to set it as your background.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- You can block (or allow) specific website using the Group Policy Management Editor. Here is a guide that walks you through the steps if you need it.
5 weeks 4 min ago
- I certainly wouldn’t connect to my network while malware is running in VM, but as far as I know there isn’t malware that is capable of migrating from VM to the host. You could make it safer by using a different OS for the VM and host, which will provide an additional roadblock to any malware escaping from VM.
5 weeks 4 days ago
- Yeah, well….Comcast’s “technical issue” is that HBO and/or Sony “technically” haven’t paid Comcast enough additional money to let you use the internet you already pay for to watch HBO Go. So they are blocking it. Essentially, Comcast is using what are essentially extortion techniques to milk more money out of everyone.
6 weeks 4 days ago
- I think it is easy to establish too many metrics, so that you end up being flooded with information without really determining which ones matter. Also, what matters is going to differ from business to business. If I were going to pick three metrics for a SaaS business, these are the top three I would probably focus on:
9 weeks 2 days ago
- You didn’t mention which model of Linksys router you are using. It may update automatically. To find the specific method to manually update firmware for your router, go to the Linksys support website, then find your model of router.
9 weeks 2 days ago
- Yahoo! bought Incredible Labs, which I only know of because of their Donna calendar app, and now they are killing off Donna. Why the heck do companies like Yahoo buy other company’s then destroy the very thing that made them attractive in the first place?
11 weeks 2 days ago
- Are you talking about the System Management Controller?
11 weeks 6 days ago
- jhotz answers Re: What differences are people likely to see now that Net Neutrality rules have been struck down?I'll give you an example of what it more than likely means: Some content will be throttled (cough, cough...netflix) unless the content provider pays the ISP for good/better speeds. Which means your Netflix bill goes up and you still pay for the same for the bandwidth that you are already paying for.
13 weeks 4 days ago
- Could your keyboard layout have been switched from International to US (or vice versa)? That’s the only thing that really comes to mind, although I don't know the differnces off the top of my head and I’m not sure why changing the settings in Office would cause that to change as well. Maybe a rogue hobbit did it. Or one too many Steinlagers.
13 weeks 5 days ago
- If I don’t want to use an “off-the-shelf” theme with Wordpress, what’s the easiest way to effectively customize a theme? I’m not sure I’m ready to build one from scratch - what’s a good way to get started with custom Wordpress themes?
14 weeks 3 days ago
- When I upload an image using the Wordpress image uploader, it opens a box for a description of the image (alt tag). Is there any reason to bother with doing it?
14 weeks 5 days ago
- Sorry, but that feature was removed for some reason. Someone figured out a work-around though.
14 weeks 5 days ago
- Click the Settings icon on the top right of the browser screen, choose Print, then in the pop-up screen under Destination click Change and choose PDF.
16 weeks 2 days ago
- You are going to need to buy a few things, if you don’t already own them. IGN did a nice writeup on game capture hardware used to record game footage back in the summer. Check it out, it will probably be helpful.
17 weeks 4 days ago
- jhotz answers Re: Can Microsoft Security Scanner be used if a third party anti-virus program is installed on a PC?Yes, in fact it is designed to work with other anti-virus software, detect and remove malware/viruses. http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
18 weeks 5 days ago
- Task manager shows a high CPU when you think your machine should be idle (e.g. <5%). Advertisements popping up at random.
22 weeks 3 days ago
- There could always be “server trouble.” Other than that, unless there is a company policy on the issue, it’s going to be hard to get someone to do something they don’t want to do, especially if they happen to be above you in the corporate hierarchy. Perhaps you could offer to archive them instead of deleting them.
23 weeks 4 days ago
- I know that there can be some driver issues with upgrading the HP Envy to Windows 8.1, so I would try to update all of your drivers through Device Manager. Try uninstalling AVG to see if it makes a difference. I have an older laptop that slows down to the point of unusability when AVG is installed.
23 weeks 4 days ago
- jhotz answers Re: What is the likely impact if Verizon wins its lawsuit against the FCC challenging net neutrality rules?Yeah, ISPs are your friend and all that is keeping you from getting fast, reliable, inexpensive service is the oppressive boot of a democratically elected government on their throats. The $47 MILLION dollars Verizon has spent on lobbying since 2010 was just so they could make their service better for you. Pfffffft! Get real!
24 weeks 6 days ago
- Is there a way to check fragmentation of a disk in Linux other than the occasional fsck report on boot?
25 weeks 1 day ago
- Hummingbird is a major change. It really shifts search away from keywords to semantic and contextual searches. Combined with Google’s decision to make search term data unavailable to the public, this significantly complicates SEO efforts.
28 weeks 3 days ago
- Here is a step-by-step guide to resetting your Windows 7 password, but be aware that it will take you some time. It’s not hard, but there are a lot of steps. Have fun. http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/reset-password-windows-7.htm
28 weeks 5 days ago
- Ironically, just as BBM is about to launch for iOS and Android, we have BlackBerry announcing that it is laying off 4,500 employees, has a nearly $1 billion quarterly loss, and trading of the company's shares has been halted on the NASDAQ.
30 weeks 2 days ago
- I’ve stuck with reading books the old fashioned way, paper pages and no batteries. But I’m thinking about going all 2010 and trying e-books. I have a decent android phone, but it’s just no fun reading on a 4.5” screen, so that leaves dedicated e-readers and tablets.
34 weeks 5 days ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.