- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: June 2012
Areas of Interest:
- Is there a way to send emails that delete themselves after being read, kind of like a Snapchat without the photo component?
2 weeks 6 days ago
- Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the iPad Mini’s display it? I’m curious if Apple is sticking with Samsung for components despite their ongoing legal battles.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- Are there any compatibility issues between iOS 7 and the Pebble Smartwatch?
4 weeks 6 days ago
- I think what you may be talking about is badBIOS, since I’ve heard/read a few reports about it in the past week.
5 weeks 2 days ago
- For free stock art, check out morguefile.com and stock.xchng. You will still have to check the license for each image, some are non-commercial, so if it is a business website, be aware of that and make certain the license is appropriate for your intended use.
10 weeks 2 hours ago
- When looking at Chromecast, I came across mentions of Miracast a few times, which I’d never heard of even though it has been around for a while. Like Chromecast, Miracast is a dongle that plugs into the HDMI port of a TV and acts much like a physical HDMI connection.
10 weeks 5 days ago
- ttopp answers Re: Will it harm smartphones and tablets if you use a different charger than the OEM charger?There are established guidelines called USB Battery Charging Specifications, that should help ensure that you are not going to cause damage when you use a different charger with your device, even though there may be some variability withing the limits allowed by the standard.
10 weeks 5 days ago
- Am I shortening my battery life or causing any harm if I leave my laptop always plugged in?
11 weeks 5 days ago
- Unsharp Masking is supposed to make edges in images sharper, but how can it do that? It seems to me that the visual information is either there or it isn’t, so how would USM make an images sharper?
12 weeks 5 days ago
- I got a refurbished Lenovo laptop recently, and one of the keys on the keyboard isn’t working. I blew it out with canned air, and there was almost nothing in there, so I don’t think it is a bit of dirt causing the issue. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this problem?
14 weeks 4 days ago
- I was talking with a co-worker this morning, and she claimed that a new court decision made it illegal to use a proxy server to access websites.
16 weeks 1 day ago
- Could you just do a system restore to a point in time before the problems occurred?
16 weeks 4 days ago
- I read the Wired article, and the headline sounds much more provocative than the actual story. The gist of it is that if you have stable computing needs, and aren’t concerned about rapid scalability, there may not be a financial advantage to cloud computing for your company. Makes sense to me.
16 weeks 4 days ago
- Yes, just hold down shift when you insert the CD/DVD/whatever. Super easy.
17 weeks 2 days ago
- I don’t know why you had problems with Nook or Kobo, but I think those are among the best choices for EPUB. But whatever, things happen. Metro reader would be another option. If you get book from Amazon, Kindle for Windows 8 is the obvious choice.
18 weeks 5 days ago
- I watched the YouTube promo video for Chromecast, the new device from Google that plugs into the HDMI port of a television. Ok so far. Then I see USB powered. Then it basically looks as if the people in the vid are pulling up content on their laptops and watching it on their TV.
19 weeks 6 days ago
- I know that in the US, certain internet providers are in the midst of upgrading everything to fiber optic as are other parts of the world. I thought regular Ethernet as it is, can support speeds of up to 100 gigabits per second. What makes fiber so much better?
22 weeks 2 days ago
- ttopp asks How much does the use of “conflict minerals” in manufacturing hardware matter to most consumers?While getting my daily serving of red pandas and cats on buzzfeed, I ran across an article about protesters unhappy with Nintendo because they felt the company was doing too little to ensure “conflict minerals” (raw material from exploitive/violent places like mines in Eastern Congo).
23 weeks 4 days ago
- Is there a way to use older videos that you have already recorded with Instagram? I’ve tried, but can’t figure out a way to do so. Thanks!
24 weeks 4 days ago
- I am most excited about the calendar addition at this point. Seriously. However, I assume there are more substantial changes, and I’m not talking about the “Start” button, which I could not care less about. Any major changes?
27 weeks 4 days ago
- Vine is an app from Twitter that lets you post or tweet short video clips. I think the limit is 6 seconds. Good for teh kittez and pron.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- One reviewer on Engadget reported about 5 hours of battery life during what he characterized as normal use, including taking a few photos/videos and reading emails.
28 weeks 1 day ago
- I spend an inordinate amount of time removing spam from a couple wordpress blogs that I am responsible for. How can I keep the amount of spam to a minimum on these sites? At times, I can't even get the spam messages I'm deleting deleted before more have been posted.
28 weeks 6 days ago
- We will probably learn specifics of release and retail price at Google I/O, and I am really curious where they will be priced. As was already pointed out, the current $1500 is not realistic for general sales. The hardware doesn't have a lot of really exotic components, so I would expect that price to come way, way down.
30 weeks 1 day ago
- I have home WiFi that includes open WiFi because my kid's friends are always coming over. This lets them get online to play games and chat with their portable consoles, phones, etc.,. This has worked pretty well and I don't have to give out our password to everyone.
31 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.