- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
- Does anyone know a good guide for how to detect and redirect website visitors that are using mobile devices/browsers?
6 days 56 min ago
- It looks like YouTube is going to add fee based subscriptions to YouTube. While I definitely prefer the a la carte method to paying tons of money for cable that I mostly don't want, I'm starting to feel like I'm not saving very much over "cutting the cord" if every media source starts hitting me up for $10 or so each month.
1 week 6 days ago
- Here is another guide with a bit more detail, if for some reason the steps from the earlier post are insufficient. http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/
1 week 6 days ago
- Intel has confirmed that they are going to launch a line of $200 touch-screen notebooks in the coming months. We've been hearing about the "death of the PC" for a while now, but I have to wonder, could this be the silver bullet that actually does it? Would you replace your traditional laptop with an Intel/Android netbook?
2 weeks 5 days ago
- Rumors suggest the next gen XBox will require that it be online at all times to play games. I'm still deciding which of the next gen consoles to get, but where I live it is not uncommon for my internet connection to drop for a few seconds (thanks AT&T).
3 weeks 3 days ago
- Google has made it known loud and clear that if you are one of the people "selected" to spend $1500 on Google Glass, you can't resell them, or apparently even loan them out, without risking having them bricked by Google.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- I think it could. The cost is already pretty low, and it will get much less expensive per unit over time. It is also a "natural" interface (point at what you want), so it will be easy for new users to adopt, similar to the way the Wii controller was in the video game market a few years ago.
4 weeks 4 days ago
- It's easy, just click the SETTINGS icon > SAFARI > SEARCH ENGINE. Choose the one you want from the limited selection. At least I think that's the way it works on an iPad, that's the way to do it on an iPhone and I think they are the same.
4 weeks 6 days ago
- Is there a way to stop the "PC will restart....." nag screen from continually popping up after an update in Windows 8? I shut down my machine every day; Sometimes I'm willing to accept that the update won't be complete for a few hours in lieu of interrupting my work.
5 weeks 5 days ago
- Apple has consistently pleased it's customers with the iPhone, and it remains an aspiration product, so I suppose they are doing it pretty well to this point. The iPhone has taken a very evolutionary approach to product development, after a revolutionary beginning.
6 weeks 3 days ago
- How much difference does it make to an IT career what college you attend? I mean, yeah, I understand that you are going to be more likely to get a call back if you went to Stanford, for example, versus Acme Tech, but outside of the top 10 or so schools, does it really make a significant difference over the course of your career?
9 weeks 3 days ago
- I was one of the millions of Evernote users who had to reset their Evernote password this morning due to a security breach, but it seemed like most of the articles I saw about it downplayed the risk because passwords were "hashed and salted." While it sounds like a great breakfast order for WaffleHouse, what does hashed and salted mean regarding
10 weeks 5 days ago
- That's a dying format, but for playing video, the answer is almost always VLC player. It's free, open source software that works on a variety of platforms. I definitely wouldn't pay for a player when you have such a good option available for free.
11 weeks 4 days ago
- First off, I would always remember the maxim that the internet is NEVER private. Secondly, yeah, I'm sure that Google's systems data mine your emails looking for keywords for targeted advertising. So what? It isn't as if there is an army of Google creepers actually sitting in cubes going over your emails - it isn't actual people doing it.
13 weeks 3 days ago
- I just installed Windows 8, and when I try to check my email, I get an error message that says Mail doesn't support POP3 email accounts. Is there a way to read POP mail in Windows 8?
14 weeks 1 day ago
- I am planning for my annual spring motorcycle trips (wheeeee!), which means I will be doing a lot of camping in the mountains and not have access for an electrical outlet for much of the 14 day trip. Are solar chargers sufficient to keep an Android phone charged on their own?
16 weeks 5 days ago
- I think Treehouse is great. They have a lot of resources available to users, and are a good place to start. It isn't free, but I do think that you get what you pay for with Treehouse. http://teamtreehouse.com/library/android-development/build-a-simple-andr... http://blog.teamtreehouse.com/the-beginners-guide-to-android
18 weeks 3 days ago
- How do you chose keywords that will help improve your search rankings? I don't want to pay some fly by night SEO company for a list of questionable keywords. Is there a way to effectively determine which ones you should focus on for the best results?
19 weeks 2 days ago
- Well, the answer is really both, as you noted. But if you could only have one, it would be on-site, starting with decent and fresh content, and then moving on to standard SEO practices (meta tags, keywords, etc.).
19 weeks 6 days ago
- It seems as if every day bring a new security threat, and I find it hard to keep up sometimes. Are there any sources/websites that are can help me keep up with security issues without draining all of my time?
20 weeks 2 days ago
- There is an article about it I read a while ago. It might point you in the right direction. Otherwise, just look at the cost of replacement printer cartridge combined with purchase cost. Some companies are notorious for jacking up the prices on replacement cartridges.
21 weeks 3 days ago
- jackson answers Re: How much performance difference is there between single core and dual core CPUs?I think it is most noticeable for multitasking. There are so many variables in hardware architecture that it is hard to just give a simple answer. The GPU makes a big difference, for example. This is a much talked about topic in the android community. Here is one thread that addresses it, but there are many others.
21 weeks 4 days ago
- I don't want to use any of the search engines offered by Safari for OS X. How can I change it so that the one I want (Ixquick) will be the default? Thx!
21 weeks 6 days ago
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.