- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
5 days 19 hours ago
- I’m not too worried about the contents on my Android phone - I use a strong lock pattern, and have it setup so I can remotely wipe it using Google Android Account manager. But what about the SD card? Is there a way to remote wide it or encrypt the SD card contents so they are not exposed if my device is lost or stolen?
1 week 3 days ago
- In addition to Christopher’s suggestions, I would add a couple of things: 1. Only install apps from Google Play or Amazon’s Store. A significant source of problem apps comes from people installing pirated apps to avoid ads. Either put up with the ads or pay for the version without them. Plus, developers need to make a living.
2 weeks 10 hours ago
- As I understand it, one of the goals of CAPTCHA is to mitigate the effects of DDoS attacks. How is this effective? Assuming that an attack is flooding the server with repeated log-in attempts either with or without CAPTCHA, what difference does it make?
3 weeks 5 days ago
- Thanks for the help. Hmm, I was thinking of the Cromebook as a sort of an inexpensive, no-hassle thin client, I'll have to weigh whether I want to go to the trouble to "make" things work vs. just getting a cheap Windows Laptop. Appreciate the info!
5 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there a version of Word that can be used on Chromebooks? I’m thinking of getting one, but I don’t want to be stuck using the Google Docs all the time.
5 weeks 6 days ago
- The first option that comes to mind is Mozilla Thunderbird, which should meet your requirements. It’s open source, and it’s also free, so you can try it to see if you like it without spending any money. http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/
6 weeks 17 hours ago
- Google spent $3.2 billion to acquire Nest, the company who developed smart thermostats. My first thought was that it was awesome, since there will be a company with vast resources, both financially and intellectually, to continue the march towards a “smart home” future.
7 weeks 5 days ago
- I got an iPad for my mom because she likes Apple products, but I’m an Android user that has never owned a single thing made my Apple. Her first question when she got it was which apps are good. My response, “Er, Netflix is good.”
10 weeks 4 days ago
- owen asks When running Windows 7 in XP mode, do I need a separate anti-virus for the virtual machine?On a Windows 7 PC that has anti-virus installed, do I need to also install anti-virus on the virtual machine when running in XP mode?
11 weeks 5 days ago
- How much longer will new copies of Windows 7 be available?
13 weeks 17 hours ago
- The Dept. of Justice has intervened in a lawsuit against H&R Block on the basis that the H&R Block website is not sufficiently accessible to disabled users under the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Honestly, ADA compliance for a website is something that I’ve never even considered.
14 weeks 5 days ago
- What is the difference between programming languages and scripting languages? Are the two terms essentially interchangeable?
19 weeks 19 hours ago
- owen answers Re: How to use older audio systems with LED TVs that only have optical digital audio output?Yes, but it is fairly expensive, and you have to make sure that you either get one that can convert a dolby digital signal to analog 2-channel, or change all the audio output settings on your display to 2-channel stereo. They range from about $40-80 dollars online. That’s still going to be cheaper than all but the lowest quality soundbar.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- Both Verdana and Georgia were created specifically to be readable on computer displays, so I would suggest trying them out. Arial is ok too, I suppose.
20 weeks 5 days ago
- 19 bad sectors isn’t really many, but it is a worrying sign. Once you start seeing errors, in my experience things tend to get worse. Scan it again regularly, and I bet that you will start to see more errors. If not, then just call me some idiot on the internet and don’t worry about it. Oh, and as jimlynch said, back up your data!
21 weeks 3 days ago
- I’ve always heard to be sure that only one anti-virus program is active on a computer. I’ve accepted this, and always followed the “rule” but why is this true. Why is it bad to have more than one anti-virus program?
25 weeks 5 days ago
- owen answers Re: A temporary account is in windows 8 software opening everytime i switch on the laptopSomeone else had the same problem with Windows 8, hopefully this will help you resolve it: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-system/window...
25 weeks 6 days ago
- In and of itself ppi means little to me once it passes the line of obvious pixelization. There are other things that matter such as contrast, color saturation and accuracy. It also matters how far away the display is. For example, think of those giant jumbotron displays at sports events.
25 weeks 6 days ago
- Is there any reason not to use https all the time? Why hasn’t it become the standard instead of http if it is more secure?
27 weeks 3 days ago
- owen answers Re: Will a price cut to $299 be enough to make the Wii U competitive with the upcoming XBox One and PS4?It will certainly give it a chance, whereas being priced only $50 less than the significantly more powerful PS4, I think it would have been a very tough sale for Nintendo. What will help just as much is Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD will also be available in a $299 Wii U bundle, and that is a compelling selling point to me.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- The two main things are that it will be slower on a Mac, and all those keyboard shortcuts that you committed to memory won’t be the same on a Mac. The basic core will be the same, but I’d wager you will not find a single person (fanboys excepted) who has actually used both that doesn’t view Excel on the Mac as the inferior version.
27 weeks 4 days ago
- owen answers Re: If I own multiple web sites, should I link them all together, or will that actually hurt SEO?As long as all of the sites are related and relevant with each other, I agree with Christopher. However, if they are completely different in themes and content, it could harm your SEO efforts, according to Google. I think it helps prevent using link exhanges to improve a sites Page Rank
27 weeks 6 days ago
- I have a lengthy document, and don’t need to print all the pages every time. How can I print just the ones I need without wasting the time, paper and ink to print the entire thing?
28 weeks 4 days ago
- If I upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 8, can I do an "in-place" upgrade (applications, settings and personal files “in place” after the upgrade)?
29 weeks 3 days ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.