- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: December 2012
Areas of Interest:
- I need to reball a GPU. Which is the better choice for solder, leaded or lead free?
5 days 18 hours ago
- Is there a way to turn off the PS4 console without using the controller? A buddy of mine just got one and while we were playing around with it, we found that it would only go into standby mode when we used the power button on the console.
1 week 5 days ago
- I think that more important than increasing that number is to prohibit a “maximum download speed” to be used as the advertised download speed if it is not attainable at least 50% of the time. I’ve had internet service from a provider that NEVER reached the advertised (and paid for) speed.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- A release date of September 9, 2014 is pretty much universally accepted. This also fits with the typical Apple practice of release new models of the iPhone in September.
2 weeks 6 days ago
- It remains to be seen how well this service will work. Even a little lag will make many games unplayable. One difference in the model is the rental aspect - which will allow people to rent games for periods ranging from 4 hours to 3 months.
3 weeks 4 days ago
- aiden asks How does Android “Fake ID” vulnerability compromise security and what can be done to prevent it?The latest Android vulnerability has been called Fake ID, and as I understand it fools the OS by pretending to be a different app. How does it do that, and what can I do to prevent it?
4 weeks 10 hours ago
- I was surprised to see the news that included in the massive 18,000 job cuts is the elimination of XBox Entertainment Studios. I thought that Microsoft was “all in” on the XBox One, but this sure doesn’t look that way. What will this mean for XBox One owners over the life of the console?
5 weeks 5 days ago
- aiden asks If I host a web conference using a WebEx account, do the other participants need accounts as well?No. When you send out the invitation, it includes a link for the other people to use. They simply click the link, they do not need to sign up for anything.
8 weeks 5 days ago
- The short version: the next version of Android with ART instead of Dalvik runtime load a little faster, run a little smoother and be slightly more power efficient for improved battery life, but at the cost of a little more space.
8 weeks 5 days ago
- Fire 3.5 is a forked version of Android 4.2.2. That means two things in particular: it won’t support the latest LE Bluetooth devices, and it doesn’t have all of Google software, including maps.
9 weeks 5 days ago
- Can anyone point me towards a good explanation of SDN?
9 weeks 6 days ago
- It's not too often I get one of those "I am living in an age of miracles" feelings, but when I learned that Skype has developed technology that translates multilingual conversations in near real-real time I certainly did.
12 weeks 5 days ago
- It’s a term created by Tim Wu, a Columbia law professor. It basically means that all traffic through the internet “pipes” gets treated the same, without preferential or negative interference by the ISPs. If you have 3 minutes to spare, there is a brilliant summary of the issue by CGP Grey on YouTube.
16 weeks 18 hours ago
- You will need to get an HDMI out adapter for the Wii, as well as an HDMI to DVI adapter and DVI cable. You can get the Wii HDMI adapter on Amazon for about $20, just search for “Wii HDMI adapter” and you should see them. Be aware that the audio might not sound great through these adapters, but this should get you up and running on a monitor.
16 weeks 19 hours ago
- VLC player would by my first choice. It’s open source, works well, and it’s free. VideoLAN still has versions of VLC player to download for Macs going back to 10.1 Puma available on their website, and even older versions are available through their FTP archive.
16 weeks 5 days ago
- I’ve got a pretty long flight coming up next week and was thinking of using inflight WiFi to get some work done while on the plane. Does anyone know what kind of speeds can be expected with in-flight WiFi services?
17 weeks 1 day ago
- I have an XBox Music account because I have an X360 and I though, “Hey, I can use this on my new Moto G!” Well, it turns out that I can use the app for streaming, but it won’t let me play offline. It tells me that offline isn’t supported and there is no offline option for my playlist.
20 weeks 1 day ago
- As anyone who has watched the fascinating documentary on Helvetica knows, the choice of font for anything written is important. Is there any objective measurement of font legibility for use in website design?
20 weeks 4 days ago
- A law firm that specializes in technology law has a blog I ran across that listed some things that you might want to hang onto beyond invoices: Purchase Orders License Certificates Register Receipts Serial Numbers Emails Link to the full blog post:
22 weeks 19 hours ago
- My wife lost her android smartphone in the house. The ringer is off, so calling it won't help. Is there an app that we can completely install remotely through Google Play that will allow us to activate the ringer and help us to find it? All the apps I've found seem to require installation and setup on the phone itself.
22 weeks 5 days ago
- Is there a standard bitrate to use for CD quality sound? Is there any reason to go beyond 128kbps for the average listener, or is that audiophile only territory?
24 weeks 1 day ago
- You could give Documents Free (Mobile Office Suite). It’s not the “fanciest” office suite, but it is Dropbox compatible and covers the basics. Plus, as the name suggests, it’s free, so you don’t have anything to lose if you give it a try.
24 weeks 6 days ago
- You could try software that is supposed to remove all associated files with the software you are installing. Revo is the only one I can think of at the moment, but I’m sure there are others.
25 weeks 6 days ago
- reCaptcha is hosted by Google, and one of the more interesting things about it is that it is used to digitize text of old newspapers and books. That’s why there are two “sections” of a reCaptcha instead of the single series of characters for CAPTCHA - one is known text, the other is not.
27 weeks 16 hours ago
- The most noticeable changes are improved user management of storage space and download management. USB keyboard support is new, and better system stability will also please a lot of people.
27 weeks 18 hours ago
- 1 of 4
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.