- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: May 2013
Areas of Interest:
- I was having some problems with installing the recent update for Windows 8.1, and read a suggestion that I perform a clean boot and try it again. Ok, but how do I do a “clean boot” with Windows 8.1?
4 weeks 1 day ago
- Amazon has been fighting with the FCC over regulations to limit the ability of kids to make in app purchases. Other than the obvious answer, to wit, don’t let kids have access to your smartphones and tablets, how can parents make it harder (or better yet impossible) for children to make unwanted in-app purchases?
7 weeks 10 hours ago
- Personally, I think registry cleaners are generally snake oil, and as you point out, they are often more likely to cause problems than resolve problems. That is not to say that there aren’t some legitimate needs for making changes to the registry.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- The environmental guidelines for the iPhone 5 specify humidity between 5% and 95%. That’s a range from essentially desert dry to subtropics. However, and this is a big however, Apple specifies up to 95% NON-CONDENSING humidity.
7 weeks 2 days ago
- What should be looked for (or avoided) when choosing a web hosting service for a SMB? Any tips?
9 weeks 1 day ago
- Is there a way to objectively determine whether my ISP is throttling Netflix?
11 weeks 6 days ago
- A simple Google search will turn up plenty. There are lots of sites that offer free premium themes, just be careful that you are dealing with a reputable site before you start downloading. Also, remember that you often get what you pay for, and someone had to put in effort to make those Wordpress themes.
12 weeks 13 hours ago
- How can I make it so that anyone with access to my PC can open and read a file, but not make any changes to it?
13 weeks 5 days ago
- I’m not a big data expert, so my views are pretty general. A CCDH is probably one of the more valuable certs, and if you want a career in Big Data, it’s a good one to have. There aren’t any experience requirements to take the test, so you could pay up and take it right away.
15 weeks 3 days ago
- I don’t want to sound negative, but you are talking about two companies that hire the best and brightest, so it’s pretty competitive. You might be one of those people, but they aren’t going to know that just because you got a degree and are fresh out of school.
15 weeks 3 days ago
- You are going to want to do a factory reset to remove your accounts and information from the device. Just go into settings menu and find the option, which will vary slightly between devices and Android versions (settings>personal>device reset in Android 4.4). Don’t forget about your SD card, if you have one in the phone.
16 weeks 6 days ago
- There is a new remote desktop application preview that is available from Microsoft. I’m not sure if “preview” = “beta” in this instance, but you can give it a try.
18 weeks 3 days ago
- As a fairly heavy Google+ user, I was surprised to see that Vic Gundotra, the head of the Google+ division and the guy who pretty much developed the network, is leaving Google.
18 weeks 3 days ago
- I still play my Wii from time to time, and I was not pleased to learn that Nintendo was shutting down it’s online gaming, leaderboards, matchmaking, etc. It has been less than a year and a half since the Wii U was released and you can still buy a new Wii.
20 weeks 2 days ago
- Using wordpress.org means that you either have to have a web server or lease one. So while in some ways that is a disadvantage, it means that you can do much more. For example, you can make changes to the code if you are familiar with PHP and MySQL, and you can use plugins and use and create your own custom themes.
23 weeks 11 hours ago
- Are there any “rules of thumb” to follow that will help make a website more attractive to visitors? Some things are obvious, such as avoid clutter and difficult to read fonts. Anything else that would help improve a website and make it more attractive to visitors?
23 weeks 3 days ago
- Anyone know how to access “God Mode” in Windows 7? I’d like to see what it allows me to do, and since my laptop is due for a replacement soon, I’m not too worried about messing it up.
25 weeks 3 days ago
28 weeks 20 hours ago
- I don’t believe that Apple has issued any official statement about the end of ipad 2 production, but it has been speculated to be in the cards since 2012.
28 weeks 21 hours ago
- Yes, you can send money over Gmail. You have to establish a Google Wallet account, but then it is pretty straightforward. The recipient also has to verify their identity with Google before they can receive money. I would love to know how much this service gets used.
28 weeks 22 hours ago
- How can I figure out if a Macbook Pro supports BlueTooth 4.0? It's a 13" from 2011, which is right around the time they started to ship with Bluetooth 4.0.
28 weeks 5 days ago
- With the PS3, at least the US PS3, almost all games are region free. I actually think there is only one that is region locked - Persona 4 Arena. I think it depends on the publisher. They have the ability to region lock if they want to.
41 weeks 20 hours ago
- It will limit the amount of photos/music/etc you can store, but since most (if not all) of the applications are cloud based, you don’t really need significant onboard storage space. Think about your tablet and smartphone.
41 weeks 21 hours ago
- I have Swype on my current Android phone, but have never really used it. Actually, I’ve had it on my last two Android phones, but I always just stuck with the standard keyboard. At lunch today, the person I was with responded to an email using Swype, and I was pretty impressed at how quickly he was able to “type”.
42 weeks 5 days ago
- What do I need to do differently that what I do for Google for SEO with Bing and other search engines?
44 weeks 1 day ago
- 1 of 3
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.