- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: April 2011
Bio: Stephen Lawson is a senior U.S. correspondent at IDG News Service and reports on networking (routers, switches, hubs, home networking.)
Areas of Interest: Networking
- Any Silicon Valley denizens hoping for a name change to the San Francisco 00110001ers may be disappointed, but the 49ers NFL football team is lining up with local legend Intel for a major technology and sponsorship deal at its new stadium in Santa Clara.
9 hours 33 min ago
- Intel's acquisition of mobile network assets from silicon vendor Mindspeed Technologies will give the chip giant what it needs to extend the Intel architecture throughout mobile operator networks, helping the carriers upgrade hardware and roll out new services more quickly, according to Intel.
1 day 7 hours ago
- The airline had said it wouldn't "police" voice calls, but after customers responded, it will.
2 days 8 hours ago
2 days 12 hours ago
- Sprint is considering an acquisition of T-Mobile US that would reduce the U.S. mobile industry to three large carriers if approved by regulators.
5 days 8 hours ago
- The latest twist in the debate over in-flight calling might allow users of some Internet-based services to do voice and video chats immediately on some airliners.
5 days 9 hours ago
- The top five U.S. mobile operators have agreed to let their customers unlock their devices and move to another provider under pressure from the U.S. Congress and Federal Communications Commission.
6 days 9 hours ago
- Cisco Systems forecast slower long-term revenue growth Thursday, citing conservative spending by its customers and uncertainty about the economy in some parts of the world.
6 days 9 hours ago
- In-flight cellular in the U.S. may be closer to reality than some consumers realize, with foreign airlines poised to extend services they already offer elsewhere. But evidence from overseas suggests the odds of being trapped next to a chronic caller are slim.
6 days 12 hours ago
- AT&T subscribers can now get LTE service outside the U.S., but fantasies of watching HD video on a tropical beach will have to wait: They can only roam in Canada.
1 week 2 days ago
- AT&T wants to silence a shareholder proposal that it disclose the government requests it receives for customer information, rejecting a step that Google, Microsoft and other Internet companies have already taken.
1 week 5 days ago
- The chip industry is in for major changes in the coming years, according to Broadcom Chairman and Chief Technical Officer Henry Samueli. In 1991, he co-founded the communications chip giant, which today brings in annual revenue of more than US$8 billion from components for all manner of network, business and consumer products. At a pre-CES event in San Francisco earlier this week, Samueli visited from the company's Irvine, California, headquarters and sat down with IDG News Service to talk about devices, mobile networks and the uncertain future of silicon.
1 week 5 days ago
- At a wine bar in San Francisco on Wednesday, Broadcom Chairman and CTO Henry Samueli delivered some sobering news: Moore's Law isn't making chips cheaper anymore.
1 week 6 days ago
- Intel has beefed up its networking silicon in a bid to capture a bigger share of enterprise, carrier and cloud-provider networks for its chip architecture.
2 weeks 8 hours ago
- Faster SANs are on the horizon as the next Fibre Channel specification, calling for 32G bps (bits per second), nears publication.
2 weeks 1 day ago
- Huawei Technologies remains the world's biggest vendor of cellular networks despite being effectively locked out of the huge U.S. LTE market.
2 weeks 2 days ago
- A legal war between EMC and flash startup Pure Storage has escalated to charges of patent infringement and illegally obtaining a storage array to mine it for intellectual property.
3 weeks 9 hours ago
- Symantec plans to close down its Backup Exec.cloud service, saying it lacks mobile and content-sharing features and wouldn't be the right platform for delivering them.
3 weeks 1 day ago
- BlackBerry's chief operating, marketing and financial officers are leaving as recently appointed CEO John Chen makes his mark on the struggling mobile vendor.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- A Chinese regulator is investigating mobile chip maker Qualcomm in connection with the Chinese Anti-Monopoly Law, Qualcomm said on Monday.
3 weeks 2 days ago
- Anyone who dreads hearing one end of a loud phone call all the way from Anchorage to Miami, take heart: The plan to allow cellphones on planes could fail in more ways than an overbooked flight at a snowbound airport on Christmas Eve.
3 weeks 5 days ago
- The U.S. Federal Communications Commission will consider letting passengers use cellular services on airplanes, breaking with a ban that has been in place for years.
3 weeks 6 days ago
- Mobile device chips coming next year from Qualcomm will be able to use wide spectrum bands that carriers are beginning to patch together with new technology, but its lofty performance claims need to be taken with a grain of salt.
4 weeks 5 hours ago
- NetApp is upgrading its lineup of dedicated storage systems, rolling out a faster all-flash array and improved platforms for branch offices and large enterprises.
4 weeks 1 day ago
- A brief YouTube outage on Monday was the one of the biggest recent glitches for the popular video site, according to a company that uses complaints on Twitter and other sources to measure the impact of online outages.
4 weeks 2 days ago
- 1 of 18
Follow other ITworld members or sign in with your Facebook account in order to view your friends' activity.