- Core IT
- Business & Money
- Personal Tech
Member since: September 2011
Areas of Interest:
- Working with Drupal is not for the timid -- but these 10 free modules could make things easier for developers and administrators.
22 weeks 1 day ago
- A collection of 10 diverse Joomla extensions that can help you build and maintain your sites.
23 weeks 6 min ago
- Today's computer users don't care much about interface bling... just get them to their apps safely. This is something Linux can do every well.
33 weeks 21 hours ago
- While the U.S. government has historically leaned towards the use open source software, lately there have been a few signs to remind us the government can still very much be a proprietary software consumer. Is the love affair with open source cooling in the halls of government?
33 weeks 2 days ago
- Okay, let's talk about Windows 8. Much has been said about the look and feel of Microsoft's new Metro interface and how the operating system that sits on 90-plus percent of the world's desktops is now getting an upgrade that would be better suited for tablets and touch screens.
33 weeks 5 days ago
- Does Microsoft really hate Internet Explorer? I only ask this question because it looks like - yet again - that Microsoft is going to be hit be an antitrust fine for not introducing enough browser choice within its Windows operating system for end users.
34 weeks 20 hours ago
- The promotion of Apache OpenOffice to top-level project status within the Apache Software Foundation is good news for the open source office suite project, but it also means that it's time to put up or shut up for OpenOffice innovation.
34 weeks 1 day ago
- Yesterday's release of Ubuntu 12.10 was met with the usual fanfare as the Canonical and Ubuntu folks, who pretty much grab any chance to party they can get (Jono gets a haircut! Wooo!) celebrated the semi-annual release of one of the more popular Linux distributions.
34 weeks 6 days ago
Hm, I guess you could make that case about freedom of communication, though the Justice Department might not agree. As for the leasing/buying, I do remember you had the option to buy phones, but didn't you also give up the included service plan along with that?The Free Software Foundation has launched a public certification effort for hardware that "will do as much as possible to respect your freedom and your privacy, and will ensure that you have control over your device."
35 weeks 1 day ago
Was pretty sure I mentioned that the bell is a symbol of freedom in the U.S., though the Liberty Bell was merely implied, not explicitly stated.The Free Software Foundation has launched a public certification effort for hardware that "will do as much as possible to respect your freedom and your privacy, and will ensure that you have control over your device."
35 weeks 1 day ago
- The city of Munich, which has long been a big user for Linux and open source software, has shifted its migration-to-OpenOffice plans and is now starting to deploy LibreOffice instead.
35 weeks 1 day ago
- The Free Software Foundation has launched a public certification effort for hardware that "will do as much as possible to respect your freedom and your privacy, and will ensure that you have control over your device."
35 weeks 2 days ago
- The Linux Foundation has announced its own solution to the problem of UEFI Secure Boot loading this week, a solution on its way to helping community distros and securing the future of Linux on the desktop for now.
35 weeks 5 days ago
- Despite all of the hype that cloud computing is getting, a recent survey shows that in terms of actual pace of deployment, three popular open source cloud computing platforms are not exactly seeing growth to match that hype.
36 weeks 1 day ago
- A recent focus on the problem of software patents raises the question: could Linux be sued off the face of the Earth?
36 weeks 2 days ago
- You know what? They're not calling us "hobbyists" anymore. It struck me this morning when I was reading up about this cool little open source operating system called Contiki, a very lightweight embedded OS designed to work well with the Internet of Things.
36 weeks 5 days ago
- The release of Joomla 3.0 on September 27 not only marks a new milestone for the seven-year-old open-source (and free) content management system, it also establishes a new goal for Joomla: the mobile platform.
37 weeks 51 min ago
- While Oracle has continued to put effort into its free software MySQL database, there is a noticeable movement within the tech community to shift away from MySQL to other databases like PostgreSQL.
37 weeks 21 hours ago
- As JavaOne 2012 gets started this week, Red Hat is using the occasion to announce some shake ups for its venerable Java-based JBoss product line. There's a lot of yummy sauce, but it's a little hard to find the actual meat of the news buried within the commercial Linux vendor's announcement today. Here's what we do know.
37 weeks 2 days ago
- Just over a week after the launch of the new OpenStack Foundation, the new release of OpenStack Folsom is expected to happen some time today. A new report demonstrates overall growth and less Rackspace influence within this latest version.
37 weeks 6 days ago
- [chunklet] flickr/r3beccaf
38 weeks 21 hours ago
- p>As Canonical tries to make a go of Linux on the desktop, it has (again) ticked off some members of its user community with its latest effort to generate revenue: building in Amazon searches into Ubuntu's Dash search tool.
38 weeks 1 day ago
- nginx is still neck-and-neck with Microsoft's IIS on global surveys of web servers, but it's racking up significant wins in the cloud along the way.
38 weeks 2 days ago
- Wednesday marked a pretty interesting day for the open source community. While Apple was pushing out yet another iteraton of iOS its loyal customers, the long-awaited OpenStack Foundation was officially launched.
38 weeks 6 days ago
- "A new national survey by Wakefield Research, commissioned by Citrix, showed that most respondents believe the cloud is related to weather, while some referred to pillows, drugs and toilet paper. Those in the know claim working from home in their 'birthday suit' is the cloud’s greatest advantage.
39 weeks 22 hours ago
- 1 of 7