It's official: Netflix is a digital movie behemoth. Also soon to produce original content?

Today was a big news day for Netflix. It started when CNET reported on some new NPD numbers showing that Netflix accounts for a whopping 61% of internet-delivered movies (streamed or downloaded). The remaining 39% was spread all over the place, with Comcast having the next biggest chunk with a paltry 8%. Apple had 4%, as did DirectTV and Time Warner Cable. Not mentioned were Hulu/Hulu Plus, Vudu, CinemaNow or any of the other Netflix competitors.

[ Get news and reviews on tech toys in ITworld's personal tech newsletter]

Later in the day came the rumor the Netflix had snagged the rights for some original content. Netflix is said to have "outbid several major cable networks, including HBO and AMC" for the rights to House of Cards starring Kevin Spacey and directed by David Fincher. Netflix is going all-in on this deal, ordering two 13-episode seasons right off the bat. (the source of the rumor) speculates that this amounts to a $100 million deal for Netflix once you factor in the $4-$6 million per episode to produce the show, and add in the "tens of millions of dollars for promotion" that rolling out its first original content could entail. A bold move indeed. Backing away from such expansive maneuvers, Android users have been waiting (not so) patiently for Netflix to reach their preferred OS. Today AndroidPolice uncovered the APK of a beta Netflix for Android app. It sounds like it won't actually stream anything yet, but you can apparently browse your queue. I'm patient enough to wait for something a bit more official, given some of the security issues that have cropped up around Android apps recently, but if you're feeling brave and install the app, please leave a comment and tell us how it worked. It's just good news to see this app being leaked; hopefully we won't have to wait too much longer for an official app.

Peter Smith writes about personal technology for ITworld. Follow him on Twitter @pasmith.

ITWorld DealPost: The best in tech deals and discounts.
Shop Tech Products at Amazon