On GitHub, developers are spending more time on cross-platform development, deep learning, and acquring new coding skills, based on the popular code-sharig site’s analysis of activity on GiHub in 2017.
Github also took note of the growing profile of artificial intelligence across different industries. Projects that have seen increased interest include:
- TensorFlow, with 2.2 times more visitors than the year before. The companion TensorFlow Models project, for implementing models, had 5.5 times more visits.
- The Keras high-level neural networks API, written in Python.
- Mozilla’s Project DeepSearch, providing a speech-to-text engine leveraging machine learning.
Increasingly popular projects related to learning to code, coding best practices, and getting jobs included:
- Norvig Pytudes, providing Python programs to hone or demonstrate skills.
- Jwasham Coding Interview University, with a study plan to become a software engineer.
- Yangshun Tech Interview Handbook, to help with coding interviews.
- iOnatan Node Best Practices, providing best practices for Node.js.
- Alibaba p3c, providing Java coding guidelines.
- Thedaviddias Front-End Checklist, providing a list of elements to test before launching a website or HTML page.
GitHub’s analysis looks at contributor, visitor and star activity to determine which projects are attracting interest.